cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
IanC
Recognised Expert
Message 11 of 20

Re: Bad broadband in certain areas.

I'm guessing (there are different versions of the Homehub) that a reset will revert to whatever wireless security is enabled by default (WEP for the V1/V1.5 hubs, WPA for V2's) and reset the SSID to whatever it was set to out-of-the-box.

It's a router.

0 Ratings
Joesavage1
Aspiring Contributor
Message 12 of 20

I should be going round the house in question this weekend; so I should be able to run the speed checks (and reset the password so I can access the router status) while there.

I'll report back with facts and figures after I get them.

Thanks for your help so far,

Joe

0 Ratings
Joesavage1
Aspiring Contributor
Message 13 of 20

ADSL line status
Connection Information
Line stateConnected
Connection time0 days, 00:46:14
Downstream288 Kbps
Upstream448 Kbps

ADSL Settings
VPI/VCI0/38
TypePPPoA
ModulationG.992.1 Annex A
Latency typeInterleaved
Noise margin (Down/Up)10.3 dB / 7.0 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up)78.1 dB / 31.5 dB
Output power (Down/Up)0.7 dBm / 0.8 dBm
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote)0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote)0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote)0 / 0
FEC Errors (Down/Up)2127 / 15
CRC Errors (Down/Up)266 / 7
HEC Errors (Down/Up)299 / 4
Error Seconds (Local/Remote)76 / 6

Speedtest:

Download speedachieved during the test was - 127 Kbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 50-250 Kbps.
 Additional Information:
 Your DSL Connection Rate :288 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
 IP Profile for your line is - 135 Kbps

Im still round the house in question, so please leave any comments or anything that could help me improve the speed (and fix the problems) while I'm here.

Please Help,

Thanks In Advance,

Regards,

Joe

0 Ratings
Joesavage1
Aspiring Contributor
Message 14 of 20

I know it's bad to bump before 24 hours, but I really want to resolve this problem before I leave their house.

Please Help,

Thanks In Advance,

Joe

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 15 of 20

with a down attenuation of 78.1 your friend is on the end of a VERY LONG LINE. Theoptimum nosie margin is 6db so that might come down from 10.3 which mat give a slight increase in speed maybe to 512kbps. Don't think there is much you can do due to line length.

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Joesavage1
Aspiring Contributor
Message 16 of 20

Ah, **bleep**..

Is there nothing I could do even to slightly boost the connection (at these speeds every kilobit counts).

Surely if they are paying for 8mb they should get at least 4mbps? They never even get 1mb!

Please Help,

Thanks In Advance,

Joe

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 17 of 20

with that attenuation I don't think there is much you can do.  There a many people on this forum with low syncs speed who are on up to 8mb connection.

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
a_rad
Aspiring Expert
Message 18 of 20

General tips for improving connection rate here http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/socket.htm which may help depending on type of socket otherwise as has been mentioned not much that can be done due to extremely long line.

Maybe try a 2wire 2700hgv, BT Business hub, off ebay (not unlocked for BT customer), does better than most on long lines.

Half Man Half Biscuit - Joy Division Oven Gloves - Save 6
0 Ratings
glencooley
Aspiring Contributor
Message 19 of 20

I live on Wyton on the Hill.

Broadband was fine until a week and a half ago, and now its much slower. I was down to a throughput of 81k.

Its now up to 350k but still short of the 1.2mb I was receiving.

I think something is up in the huntingdon area for some people. I have had an engineer out, and the line is fine (1.8mb which is great for my line length)

Just so frustrated!!!

0 Ratings
Joesavage1
Aspiring Contributor
Message 20 of 20

I know what you mean.. It's so very frustrating (they wont be able to get the router by the way, as they don't think it'll improve line speed by that much, so wouldn't be worth the money).

I've unfortunately lost all hope now, I just can't think of any other ways to improve the appalling speed.

If anyone thinks they can help, please do.

Thanks in advance,

Joe
0 Ratings