cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
hsws
Contributor
Message 1 of 67

Bad upgrade to infinity...can i switch back?

Go to solution

Hi, 

My exchange was upgraded recently to infinity and I have taken the option to upgrade to infinity 2, which should provide me download speeds of 76Mbps.

I was upgraded last Wednesday and my connection has been abysmal since. I have had a few calls with BT and requested that I switch back to my ADSL connection, as it was twice as fast the new infinity 2 connection. Is it possible to switch back?

From my stats it seems my connection is up to 100 times slower than it should be.

The whole process of upgrading to infinity has been a nightmare, and i am tired of explaining the same problem and running the same tests over and over again to the guys on the phone.

I am at the stage where I really just want to switch back to my ADSL connection, and forget about the whole thing.

Anyway, here is a copy of my stats for anyone who can decipher them and can understand what is going on.

Hub1.jpg

Hub2.jpg

Hub3.jpg

Cheers

Hamish

0 Ratings
66 REPLIES 66
Ectophile
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 67

Re: Bad upgrade to infinity...can i switch back?

Go to solution

I doubt that BT will just let you walk away from the contract, because they are difficult like that.

However, the speed is clearly below the minimum acceptable speed for Infinity.  You should complain, and they should send somebody out to fix it.  If they cannot fix it, you have the right to cancel the contract.

0 Ratings
hsws
Contributor
Message 3 of 67

Go to solution

They have advised that will send someone take a look in the coming days, so I hope they will fix it.

If not, do you know if there is a time limit within which I must cancel?

0 Ratings
Ectophile
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 67

Go to solution

If the engineer can't fix it, then they are supposed to offer you the option to cancel.  If they don't, you'd need to badger them to make the offer.  It's OFCOM rules.

If they offered you Infinity in the first place, your line should be good for at least 15M, so I'd be surprised if nothing can be done.

0 Ratings
hsws
Contributor
Message 5 of 67

Go to solution
Okay, thanks for the information. That's good to know.
0 Ratings
Webby
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 67

Go to solution
Can you put your number into here http://www.dslchecker.bt.com and post up a screenshot of the results please?
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
hsws
Contributor
Message 7 of 67

Go to solution

See below results as requested.

Going by this it would suggest that infinity 2 is available, so I don't know what's going on.

Hub4.jpg

0 Ratings
Webby
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 67

Go to solution
Certainly.

Are you connected to the master socket or an extension?

How is the router set up? Is there a chance there's two filters been connected in error?

Do you have a working phone like? Can you dial 17070 and see if there's any noise on the line?
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
hsws
Contributor
Message 9 of 67

Go to solution

I'm connected directly to the master socket without any filters as per the smart hub setup instructions.

The phone works fine and seems to be quiet. I've checked the wiring in the back of the socket and it is good.

I've also tried my old router which is an AVM Fritzbox 7490, in case it was a smart hub problem, and it completely failed to establish a connection. It would state 'connecting' followed by 'connection interrupted' constantly.

0 Ratings
Webby
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 67

Go to solution
Is the fritzbox compatible with VDSL?

Is it possible to remove the face plate and connect to the test socket using a filter?
0 Ratings