tellboy
Aspiring Expert
Message 31 of 63

Re: Baffled by BT Sport options!

Go to solution

@infinidim wrote:

@tellboy wrote:

@infinidim wrote:

I have just had a very strange conversation with the BT Sport sales line.

As I said before I am a BT Infinity Option 2 customer with a "black" BT Vision+ box. I asked them whether I could order for August BT Sport, they looked at there records and basically said I can't get BT Sport on my existing "black" BT Vision+ box. This does not tie up with all the advertising that they are currently doing. They also dropped the line when I asked to speak to a supervisor as well.

I then phoned them back and got a really helpful person on the line and in my case I would have to upgrade my BT Vision box - currently they are saying £199!!!! The alternative that they are also saying I could take is is a BT YouView box at £49 with monthly retail of £5.

I will now be writing to the head of BT Retail to explain this and get him to get some clarification.

MODERATIONS again I ask that you clarify on this forum who can and who can't receive BT Sport!!!!

I think perhaps we are on the same wavelenth here.

BT seem to be making the rules up as they go along.

All they need to do is make a clear statement for each permutation and I don't believe there are that many permutations.

Perhaps they need to speak to the Plain English Campaign for advice.

tellboy, we are.

Just want the moderators to say something or put a sticky up about what people can do and what the options are.

I am thinking BT have other ideas up their sleeve which for some reaon they have not yet announced. I don't know what makes me feel this other than BT's complete lack of clarity and a gut feeling. I maybe totally wrong, time will tell.

I think we started with Infinity, then Sports on freeview, now "Broadband Channels", someone on this forum said TUTV are not sure what's happening with their offering, it all makes me think something's not decided yet and discussions are still going on.

The only thing I feel really confident about is BT's drive to frighten people into signing up to Infinity.

They must have a fallback position if people don't sign-up?

In my case for "Free", so what do they get out of providing it for free? I will leave eventually if they try to put the price up because I can manage with ADSL for the internet. They must realise that the vast majority aren't going to stump up more cash.

Infinity has been BT's driver with everything else discussed coming out in dribs and drabs.

I will continue to wait and see what happens. Football doesn't start till 18 August.

0 Ratings
infinidim
Expert
Message 32 of 63

Go to solution

tellboy, completely agree.

I am so frustrated about what is going on with BT TV, BT Sport, BT Vision+ etc. It's curremtly making me think that it was a wrong decision to go with BT Infinity even though I arrange for it to be installed in our village.

Infinidim
Megadodo Publications
Ursa Minor Beta

If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side
If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
DavidM
Message 33 of 63

Go to solution

Hi guys,

Ssorry for taking a while to get back to you. You’ll be able to find many of the answers to your questions at BT.com/help, and we hope the information below helps to answer your questions in the meantime.

• If you have BT Infinity, you’ll be able to get Extra Channels, Sky Sports 1 & 2 and the BT Sport Pack (BT Sport 1, BT Sport 2 and ESPN) on BT Vision+. If you have BT Infinity and YouView, you won’t be able to get Sky Sports.

• If you have BT Broadband (copper broadband), you’ll be able to get BT Sport 1 and BT Sport 2 (in SD only), on BT Vision+ over your TV aerial. You’ll need a black Vision+ box and a viewing card. If you don’t already have a viewing card, we’ll provide one for a £10 one-off charge. As a BT broadband customer, you’ll also be able to watch all three BT Sport channels live on the BT Sport App, and online at btsport.com. You won’t be able to get BT Sport, Sky Sports, or Extra Channels on YouView with copper broadband, and Extra Channels, ESPN and Sky Sports 1 & 2 are only available on Vision+ with Infinity.

• If you’re in a copper-only area and we’re able to stream your Sky Sports over your broadband (‘Broadband Channels’), you’ll have received a letter in the post letting you know.

• We’ll be announcing our broadcast schedule closer to launch.

• The BT Sport App and btsport.com will use adaptive bitrate technology so that we can provide a good viewing experience for our customers over a variety of internet connections. The minimum speed required for streaming is 400Kbps. If you have the technology at home to connect your PC, laptop, or device to your TV, then you'll be able to view the app content through your TV.  

• If you watch BT Sport over your BT broadband or BT Wi-fi, it won't count towards your usage cap. If your broadband service is with another provider, or you watch BT Sport using a mobile data connection (for example on your smartphone or tablet), that may count towards any monthly data allowance you have.

• If you visit BT.com or call us, we’ll check your line speed to make sure it meets the minimum requirements for the product(s) you’d like to order.

• Top Up TV isn’t a BT service, so you’ll need to get in touch with Top Up TV for any questions related to their products and services.

Cheers

David

paul_c
Aspiring Expert
Message 34 of 63

Go to solution

So then I take it I can't get Sky Sports because the cabinet near me is not enabled for fibre yet even though the exchange is.  Smiley Sad.  Oh well I'll leave it for a few weeks then order Sky Sports via another well known provider....

0 Ratings
Deck1066
Beginner
Message 35 of 63

Go to solution

I still remain baffled and unable to determine what sports I will or won't have? Why oh why can't a simple answer be set out as to what is going to be available to who?

I have a black Vision box I believe I'm copper broadband (definitely not Infinity that is years away from me). So, after BT have decimated my Vision sports access could someone please tell me in simple and easy to understand language what I will be left with? Robot Sad

0 Ratings
Colin_London
Recognised Expert
Message 36 of 63

Go to solution

infinidim,

What you have heard is correct. Early black BT Vision boxes are not up to the job of processing multicast streaming, it's only more recent versions that have the required performance.

Agreed that this is awfully confusing for the average punter, and understandable why some people aren't going to understand why their black box, which looks identical to all other BT vision black boxes, requires a £199 upgrade, when others don't.

Maybe this is a lesson to BT - every time you change the specification of your box, make it look greatly different so that if the internal spec makes it unsuitable for a future application people find it easier to understand that it's actually an 'older model'.

BTs advertising team have been handed a pretty hard job with this launch as there are actually quite a few permutations (like this one) - they are trying hard to make it simple as possible for punters to understand, but this leaves out critical detail that can affect whether or not you can actually get the service via which means.

0 Ratings
Colin_London
Recognised Expert
Message 37 of 63

Go to solution

Deck1066,

If, as you say, Infinity is 'years away' from you (i.e. your exchange doesn't have the required multicast equipment installed in it either) then you will not receive BT Sport on your TV via the internet / BT Vision box.

You'll have to pay a one-off fee of £10 to get a viewing card to watch the BT Sport Channels via your aerial and BT Vision box in SD (assuming you can recive ITV4 at present and you have a more recent BT Vision box that doesn't need upgrading first).

You'll also be able to watch BT Sport Channels + ESPN via your PC or an app on a tablet/smart phone.

0 Ratings
Robbief
Contributor
Message 38 of 63

Go to solution

BT seam to have an update for the first vision black boxes which allows multicast on the 256 version of the vision boxes, see

7.1.7 update on old boxes on the vision board.

0 Ratings
infinidim
Expert
Message 39 of 63

Go to solution

@Robbief wrote:

BT seam to have an update for the first vision black boxes which allows multicast on the 256 version of the vision boxes, see

7.1.7 update on old boxes on the vision board.

I am very interested in this, so how do you get hold of this "multicast update" for 256K boxes? Smiley Mad

I just check my box and it still is on the "unicast" version.Smiley Frustrated

Infinidim
Megadodo Publications
Ursa Minor Beta

If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side
If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
infinidim
Expert
Message 40 of 63

Go to solution

@DavidM wrote:

Hi guys,

Ssorry for taking a while to get back to you. You’ll be able to find many of the answers to your questions at BT.com/help, and we hope the information below helps to answer your questions in the meantime.

• If you have BT Infinity, you’ll be able to get Extra Channels, Sky Sports 1 & 2 and the BT Sport Pack (BT Sport 1, BT Sport 2 and ESPN) on BT Vision+. If you have BT Infinity and YouView, you won’t be able to get Sky Sports.

• If you have BT Broadband (copper broadband), you’ll be able to get BT Sport 1 and BT Sport 2 (in SD only), on BT Vision+ over your TV aerial. You’ll need a black Vision+ box and a viewing card. If you don’t already have a viewing card, we’ll provide one for a £10 one-off charge. As a BT broadband customer, you’ll also be able to watch all three BT Sport channels live on the BT Sport App, and online at btsport.com. You won’t be able to get BT Sport, Sky Sports, or Extra Channels on YouView with copper broadband, and Extra Channels, ESPN and Sky Sports 1 & 2 are only available on Vision+ with Infinity.

• If you’re in a copper-only area and we’re able to stream your Sky Sports over your broadband (‘Broadband Channels’), you’ll have received a letter in the post letting you know.

• We’ll be announcing our broadcast schedule closer to launch.

• The BT Sport App and btsport.com will use adaptive bitrate technology so that we can provide a good viewing experience for our customers over a variety of internet connections. The minimum speed required for streaming is 400Kbps. If you have the technology at home to connect your PC, laptop, or device to your TV, then you'll be able to view the app content through your TV.  

• If you watch BT Sport over your BT broadband or BT Wi-fi, it won't count towards your usage cap. If your broadband service is with another provider, or you watch BT Sport using a mobile data connection (for example on your smartphone or tablet), that may count towards any monthly data allowance you have.

• If you visit BT.com or call us, we’ll check your line speed to make sure it meets the minimum requirements for the product(s) you’d like to order.

• Top Up TV isn’t a BT service, so you’ll need to get in touch with Top Up TV for any questions related to their products and services.

Cheers

David

David,

You have described most of the options in the above post but not the one that I have.

I am a BT Infinity Option 2 customer with a BT Vision+ box that seems to only have 256M of memory. When I contacted the BT Sport people they said that I would not be able to receive BT Sport and that I would have to either upgrade my BT Vision+ box at a price of £199 or have the BT YouView box at a price of £49 with a monthly subscription of £5. The is not what you said in your forum post (as a BT representative). See following -

If you have BT Infinity, you’ll be able to get Extra Channels, Sky Sports 1 & 2 and the BT Sport Pack (BT Sport 1, BT Sport 2 and ESPN) on BT Vision+. If you have BT Infinity and YouView, you won’t be able to get Sky Sports.

There also has been a post, see above my comments on it, which states that there is a version of firmware for the 256M boxes which supports "multicast" and hence BT Sport etc.

David, you comments on this post would be much appreciated as I am not the only person in the BT Retail world that has this issue.

Infinidim
Megadodo Publications
Ursa Minor Beta

0 Ratings