Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
PB54
Expert
Message 1 of 52

Banded Profile after BT repair

Go to solution

I've been doing a lot of reading over the last few days and believe I have a Banded Profile. I suspect the answer to my question is going to be "Wait until you have had a stable connection for three days and it'll be lifted" but I have a few questions.

History:

Moved into this house mid 2010. Signed up for BT Broadband, phone and BT Vision. Broadband was about 2 Mbps download. Line was a bit crackly. Broadband often dropped when the phone rang.

BT came out and cured the noise BB was up to 3.5-4 Mbps. Bought the BT BB Accelerator Plate. Fitted and 48 hours later had 8-10 Mbps. Hub used to restart once every 2-3 months. No issues no problems.

Until 2 weeks ago.

The Problem:

One day the phone line was very noisy. The broadband constantly dropped and often would not get a connection for hours. When it did it might last 5 minutes. Long story short it was a fault in the line between the street pole and the master socket. Once replaced the line was clearer than ever and the BB was back on.

It was running at 10 Mbps for the best part of a day AFTER the line was replaced. I tested by picking up the phone and making calls inbound and outbound. Nothing caused it to drop. Until the following morning when the hub rebooted itself. Thinking this was just a part of the checks it does now the line was back I ignored it until I realised the speed is down to 3,072 Kbps.

Speaking to BT they mentioned i had a high "Noise Margin" and unable to get a decent explanation other than just wait and it'll come back, I started Googling and found this site. Much reading later (and I HOPE understanding) it appears I have a Banded Profile. I have noticed the general advise is wait until you have 3 days without an interrupted connection before asking for help. Previously I was rebooting every evening and morning on the advise of a work colleague. I got to 3 days uninterrupted earlier today. Came home at 6pm, checked the router stats and found it must have rebooted around 12pm (which should have taken it over 3 days) I checked the speed and it's 3,072 Kbps still. My upstream has increased from 1,038 to 1,138 Kbps. With that the Upstream Noise Margin has dropped from 9.7 dB to 6.3 dB, but why not my downstream Noise Margin? Downstream is still 14-16 dB.

I realise the banded profile is imposed because the constant reboots made BT think it's an unstable line - which it was DURING the fault. However i had a good 18 hours or so with 10 Mbps (with no hub reboots) after the repair only for one hub reboot to apparently cause the Banded Profile (or at least be the one that cause the Banded Profile to be invoked).

Am I correct in thinking 6 dB is best/optimum Noise Margin?

Do I have to wait another 3 days (or more) for the downstream to be adjusted separately?

I can't believe there is still a fault with the line. The line was fine all the way to the street pole but the engineer suspects the line to the house was very old and possibly had a break.

What if I can't get back the old speed I had? It's not life and death but it's infuriating to have 10 Mbps for 2 years, have something fixed and then get about a third of that...

In case it helps stats today

ADSL Settings
VPI/VCI 0/38
Type PPPoA
Modulation G.992.5 Annex A
Latency type Interleaved
Noise margin (Down/Up) 14.6 dB / 6.1 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up) 32.9 dB / 14.8 dB
Output power (Down/Up) 17.1 dBm / 1.7 dBm
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote) 0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote) 0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote) 0 / 0
FEC Errors (Down/Up) 537 / 0
CRC Errors (Down/Up) 0 / 0
HEC Errors (Down/Up) 0 / 0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote) 0 / 0

Thank you

Tags (3)
0 Ratings
51 REPLIES 51
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 52

Re: Banded Profile after BT repair

Go to solution
Just leave the hub powered up 24/7 with no manual restarts for the next 3/5 days and your speed will improve automatically
0 Ratings
PB54
Expert
Message 3 of 52

Go to solution

Thanks. I don't wish to appear sarcastic or ungrateful but i was maybe hoping for something more than the standard answer i see posted to all these questions. I did ask a few other question in there but i guess TL : DR.

I'll leave and see what happens.

0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 52

Go to solution

Your not in a banded profile your noise margin is higher than the default 6dB once you can show 3days + stable connection then post back the hub stats again if the noise margin has not reduced then we can put you intouch with the forum mods who can then arrange a manual reset if needed 

PB54
Expert
Message 5 of 52

Go to solution

"Your not in a banded profile your noise margin is higher than the default 6dB"

Ah. My misunderstanding. I though the noise margin was set by BT and therefore i was in a Banded Profile by having a forced higher than normal NM. Hmm...

"once you can show 3days + stable connection then post back the hub stats again"

Will do. Seems it didn't make 3 days after all. Looking at the stats again it rebooted half an hour or so before the 3 days was up....

"if the noise margin has not reduced then we can put you intouch with the forum mods who can then arrange a manual reset if needed"

Thanks I appreciate that. Will report back when i get more than 3 days on the stat clock.

0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 52

Go to solution
Hi when you are ready to post your hubstats back please ensure that you post the connection time and speed with all the data that follows
a banded profile normally has a noise margin of between 15 and 30dB your getting close to that area so please try and avoid any manual restarts of your hub
PB54
Expert
Message 7 of 52

Go to solution

Like this?

ADSL line status
Connection Information
Line state Connected
Connection time 0 days, 09:12:37
Downstream 3,072 Kbps
Upstream 1,135 Kbps

ADSL Settings
VPI/VCI 0/38
Type PPPoA
Modulation G.992.5 Annex A
Latency type Interleaved
Noise margin (Down/Up) 14.5 dB / 6.2 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up) 32.9 dB / 14.8 dB
Output power (Down/Up) 17.0 dBm / 1.7 dBm
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote) 0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote) 0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote) 0 / 0
FEC Errors (Down/Up) 642 / 0
CRC Errors (Down/Up) 0 / 0
HEC Errors (Down/Up) 0 / 0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote) 0 / 0

If so it was a copy and paste error.

Not doing any more manual reboots/restarts....

BTW are those FEC errors an issue? I didn't think so, but i've already misunderstood one thing so far...

0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 52

Go to solution
Hi yes stats like that as to the FEC's do not worry about them they are just showing that interleaving is working on the connection this link explains more about interleaving http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/interleaving.htm
PB54
Expert
Message 9 of 52

Go to solution
Thanks for that. I'll report back in three days. Hopefully.
0 Ratings
PB54
Expert
Message 10 of 52

Go to solution

After 3 days connected.....

Stats

ADSL line status
Connection Information
Line state Connected
Connection time 3 days, 00:00:10