Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 8

Bandwith/buffering

Go to solution

Had my YV for just over 2 weeks now & everytime we try to watch iPlayer, 4oD etc.. the playback is interrupted by buffering or a message about insufficient bandwith. We are able to watch through PC no problems, has anyone any ideas to remedy pls>

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 8

Re: Bandwith/buffering

Go to solution
Do you see the same problem on BT programmes? The BT video stream is protected but other players are not (yet). If you have other internet activity going on this can cause problems with the video from other players.

If it's still bad on the BT player then it's probably your broadband speed, run a test at http://speedtester.bt.com and check your speed. The playback on PCs uses less bandwidth than the youview service so you might be fast enough for one but not the other.

If your speed is low (actual throughout below 1750k) then check out the help pages on bt.com for advice

Best of luck!
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 3 of 8

Go to solution

Tried test & got download speed 0.98, upload 0.21 & ping 66. Does this mean I'm okay?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 8

Go to solution

This would indicate that you download speed is less then 1Mbps, which is below the recommended 3Mbps, so you would probably get quite a lot of buffereing on the box. What did BT say you estamated speed would be when you signed up.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 5 of 8

Go to solution

The guy I spoke to said my area was okay to receive & strongly recommended that YV was the way forward at such a good offer. Is there any way I can improve my speed, I have seen something mentioned about a booster?? on the BT website. Would this suffice?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 6 of 8

Go to solution

I guess he was just looking at your TV reception prediction, not your broadband speed 😞

Unless you are happy paying for a Freeview HD recorder only, you might want to consider sending it back.

Your speed is only likely to increase if you are in an area to be equipped with Fibre or ADSL2+ (Wholesale Broadband Connect / WBC) in the near future.

Check here to see if anything is planned:

https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/main.html

If you tell us what the predicted speed is from this site we can see whether you are potentially under performing, and whether or not you have been missold Youview.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 7 of 8

Go to solution

ADSL downstream line rate upto 8, downstream range 7 to 8, available, is this okay or do I have an issue?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 8 of 8

Go to solution

Looks like it. The downstream range shows what BT expect you to be getting from the line, and is the reason they were able to sell you a contract.

However your actual speed test result is showing a result way below what is expected from your line.

So you may have a fault on your line, or perhaps you have your Homehub connected to your telephone line via internal extension cabling which is reducing your speed? The estimate is only a guide of course, but for ADSL that is quite a big difference from what was expected at your address.

0 Ratings