cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 12

Barring of withheld numbers does not barr calls without numbers

I got so fed up with sales calls (yes, I was already on the TPS) that I decided to pay £4.10 + VAT to have calls that withold their numbers barred.

It almost works but many calls without numbers on the caller display still get through.Smiley Mad

I phoned BT to question this apparent failing of the service and was told there is a difference between numbers that are withheld and numbers that are not given out and shown on caller ID.

All I want is "number would be shown on caller ID = let it through" and "number would not show on caller ID = block it and justify the £4.92pcm charge".

Does anyone know if there is a department that can either sort the problem or take the complaint seriously?

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 12

Re: Barring of withheld numbers does not barr calls without numbers

Hi greenbandit,

A lot of those calls are originating from abroad, and BT cannot block them.

If you want a way to block withheld numbers from this country and International calls where the number is not given out, then I suggest you have a look at www.truecall.co.uk. it might be expensive to start with, but its better than paying (as you have found out) £4.10 + VAT a month with the threat of it going up all the time.

You will get your money back in under 2 years and be able to control who calls you and if you want record all your calls (in & Out).

I do not work for truecall but have been a very happy customer for 2 years and the support is great.

toekneem

(EASBF)

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 3 of 12

There are 2 instances when you dont get a number showing, when the caller has witheld their number and when the number is unavailable.

If the number is unavailable (as in most international calls) it will still be presented to you.

(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 4 of 12

This is my first time on the forum so please forgive any mistakes.  I came on the BT website out of desperation and found your very informative posts... thanks.

I'm up to about 8 of these calls a day but the last straw was yesterday when I was woken at 4.40am, only to have a disconnection at the other end, the minute I picked up the receiver.  It's driving me batty.  Reading your posts, it seems that BT refuse or can't do anything about these calls.  It's annoying to have to pay for phone line rental just for my broadband if I decide to disconnect my phone and only use my mobile but if it means getting a nights sleep and peace during the day, that's what I'm going to have to do by the sound of it.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 5 of 12

The new BT 6500 phone might help. Multiple handsets are available and you can shop around.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 12

@pottyperson wrote:

The new BT 6500 phone might help. Multiple handsets are available and you can shop around.

Not to be confused with the Synergy 6500, which does not have this facility. How confusing.

Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 7 of 12

I noticed that KB. Maybe BT are running out of numbers. Smiley Frustrated

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 12

No user manual for it, not that I can find. It might save people some money on ACR and Choose To Refuse extras.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 9 of 12

download.jpg               Click me

--
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 10 of 12

It is confusing because I have the Synergy 6500 and as you say, the facility is not on my phone.
0 Ratings