cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 9

Before I jump what to expect?

Currently with Sky BB and wish to move to BT Infinity.

Now of course this forum will tend to be full of people having problems, but what can I expect generally from Inifinity? Have most people been happy. Any big issues?

What of the big attractions for me is the increased outbound bandwidth.

Peoples feedback would be great on this as getting these decisions wrong can be quite painful!

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 2 of 9

Re: Before I jump what to expect?

How far are you from the exchange and do you download a lot?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 3 of 9

How much bit torrent type stuff do you use? - BT throttle it.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 4 of 9

The BT Infinity web site seems to calculate I should get 33 Mb In and 8Mb out approx.

The exhange is about 1.5 miles away and I currently get about 6Mbytes in on ADSL 2 (Sky).

The BT cabinet that I assume will be used is about 250 yards away (very approx).

and no I do not torrent stuff. I run a couple of web sites that are fairly lightly used (this is why I want increased outbound speed).

Biggest use of bandwidth is probably things like BBC iPlayer etc.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 5 of 9

Distance from the exchange is of no relevance. Distance from the cabinet is.

Alan
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 6 of 9

Don't know what Sky do about FAIR USE POLICY but BT will speed restrict you during peak hours if you exceed 300 Gig bandwidth in a month, restricted speed is about 2 Meg as far as I know and yes that applies to UNLIMITED

If any post helps tick the star box on the left
Just cause Im paranoid dont mean they are not out to get me

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 7 of 9

Hi

Like you, I was a bit scared to to make the jump to Infinity when it came to my area a short while ago. I also read some of the bad feedback generally about BT here, which also helped make the decision harder.

I download a fair bit and I am definitely a heavy user at times. I have a website too, where I need to upload large files to, and I also make You-Tube HD videos, so I wanted the speed both ways. The Fair Usage Policy worried me, so I spent a couple of months with a bandwidth monitor running, just to see my average usage. Based on the old 100GB/month FUP, I thought it a bit tight, but I could probably manage it if I was more careful, you know, with the BBC iPlayer use the standard resolution files rather than the HD ones, and things like like.

Since then I have learned that the FUP has been increased to 300 Gb/month (on unlimited, Infinity Option 2), so this has helped me relax a bit more, and not worry so much, though I continue to monitor the bandwidth.

It's been a week since installation, and so far I am loving it. I am about 100 yards or so from the cabinet, so pretty lucky. I am slightly bothered by the upload rate, as it's seems to average about 6.5 Mbits going by the BT Speedtester. But actually in reality I think I am getting more, nearer 8 Mbits I. Download wise, again BT say it's averaging 35.5 MBits, but in a real situation I think it's nearer 38 Mbits.

My previous broadband was ADSL2+ 16MBit from UKOnline, which in reality was a 12-13Mbit line with 1Mbit up, after overheads, 10 - 11 Mbit throughput. Sky owned UKOnline (Easynet) since 2005, but now have decided to shut the company down and transfer customers over to Sky Broadband, with 6 months free for those transferring.

I don't like Sky, Rupert Murdoch, or the whole News International Organisation, and with a FUP of 40GB per month, it was time to jump into 'Infinity and beyond' © Buzz Lightyear

When uploading videos to you-tube, it's so nice to see 'estimated upload time 3 minutes' 🙂

So summary.

1/ I've got about 38 down and 8 up

2/ The Openreach engineer did a good job, was helpful, and even moved my master socket for me

3/ It's been very stable, and very fast

4/ For online gaming, my ping has nearly halved to around 28 to 32, pinging my game server in London (from Glasgow)

5/ I'm impressed so far

If it stays like this, then I'll be sticking to it for a long time 🙂

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 8 of 9

Thank you very much for this in depth reply.

I am not quite as lucky as you with the distance to the cabinet but think it will still be pretty good.

Now I just have to wait until the New Year when it should be available to order.

The only sightly disconcerting bit that I have read here are the few who have found that is Infinity started fast and then got slower over a few weeks.

300GB/ month is more than I will ever use - I think 😉

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 9 of 9

I suppose the correct way of looking at it, is that you are more likely to see the 'dark side' of BT on this forum, so should expect a number of horror stories.

You don't generally hear from all the other customers who are happy with Infinity or any other service.

This isn't a criticism of the forum, because that's exactly as it should be, forums tend to good for technical discussions or information, but are a major access point when it come to complaining, especially if your help lines are foreign based and reading from a script.

I am also cynical enough to know that in some time if the future, I WILL be joining that 'dark side', it's inevitable at some stage .....  Smiley Wink

Good luck with the connection .........

0 Ratings