cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GTS125
Message 1 of 5

Being charged for two broadband accounts on one line. Cannot close one of them.

Hi.

I signed up for BT Yahoo Broadband 3 about 7-8 years ago. In 2009 I left home for a while, and my mum got lodgers. She took out another broadband for the lodgers, which appears on her phone bill.

Since I got back, I've been using the newer account since the lodgers left. We've been paying nearly £29 a month for a line that is never used. I would have liked to close the newer account and keep my original one as it has an unlimited usage. However we're paying an awful lot and are about to switch to another supplier.

I tried to call BT today to close my BT Yahoo account, but they asked me for an account number. I cannot find this account number on the welcome pack or letter anywhere. I've logged in to my account but there's no sign of it there either. So now I don't know what to do.

I'm very unhappy about BT. They're quite happy to take the money (over £900 in 3 years) and surely must be able to see there was no activity on the line whatsoever. Furthermore it seems they have no record of this account either when I called them.

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 5

Re: Being charged for two broadband accounts on one line. Cannot close one of them.

It sound a bit complicated. If you pay by direct debit, the account number should be on your bank statement.

If you would like to contact one of the UK based BT Care Team who moderate this forum, they should be able to help you.

They can be contacted using this link BT Care Team

They normally respond by phone or e-mail, within three working days, however you should get an immediate confirmation, with a tracking number.

0 Ratings
GTS125
Message 3 of 5

Re: Being charged for two broadband accounts on one line. Cannot close one of them.

I've looked on the statement and it just says BT Group. I will try contacting the moderators.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 5

@GTS125 wrote:

I've looked on the statement and it just says BT Group. I will try contacting the moderators.

The reference number is normally the account number.

0 Ratings
GTS125
Message 5 of 5

I sent a message but got no reply yet.

I called BT again, they know we're going to be switching next week and tried over and over again to get me to stay with BT despite me just wanting to close an unused account. Well, after a long call it will be cancelled (I'm still not convinced, will check the bank statements) and I have to pay a £30 disconnection fee??????

I know that "British" is incorporated in this telecommunications supplier's name, but that's no excuse whatseover to provide such a shoddy service and rip the customers off in every way possible.

I'll have to give it a couple of weeks and see what happens, then take legal action against BT to recover the £1000. I will also publicise this in detail at any opportunity I get.

I'm willing to try any other supplier in the UK, but never British Telecom. I wish competition and the economic climate puts them out of business for good.

0 Ratings