cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 4

Being driven mad by "waiting for network" problems and BT's terrible customer services

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone could please help before I pull all my hair out.

Last week, a laptop in my house wouldn't connect saying 'waiting for network'. We rang BT, and changing the channel on the hub fixed the problem.

Two days later, my main work computer got the same problem, but BT says it's my computer's fault and refuses to help because it's a desktop with an external router. I have done all the things like checking the security settings, checking the firewall, updating/uninstalling/reinstalling the network card and nothing helps! Does anyone have any idea why a computer that worked all along suddenly stopped working overnight? It will connect to any other wireless network no problem, just the homehub that won't work.

Tonight, whilst googling the problems on another laptop, that laptop (a third computer) and my sister's computer (4th!) also got the same 'waiting for the network' problem, but that suddenly fixed itself after 30 minutes.

Please help!!! Please!!!

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 4

Re: Being driven mad by "waiting for network" problems and BT's terrible customer services

try downloading inssider2 and run it - this will show the networks round about you including your own and you will be able to see if there are any other networks on the same channel as you.  if there is then you can change your wifi channel to a free or less congested channel - no chnage will be needed to your devices.

If all/any of your devices are not 'n' rated then you could try chnaging the wifi from default b/g/n to just b/g and this may help

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 4

Re: Being driven mad by "waiting for network" problems and BT's terrible customer services

This  may help you 

TCP/IP stack repair options for use with Windows XP with SP2.

For these commands, Start, Run, CMD to open a command prompt.

Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults: netsh winsock reset catalog

Reset TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ip reset reset.log

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Guru
Message 4 of 4

"Tonight, whilst googling the problems on another laptop, that laptop (a third computer) and my sister's computer (4th!) also got the same 'waiting for the network' problem, but that suddenly fixed itself after 30 minutes."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There have been numerous network outages this past few days .... owing to both hardware and cable theft (latter on-going).

The first thing to check on any network, either intranet .... or internet, is that your provider is up and running.

Even ISPs have major issues (especially with cable theft).  Learn a little about your network help file sources.

The last thing to suspect .... is network cards and IP/TCP stacks, unless of course you've knowingly changed something.

0 Ratings