cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
myst_eri
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 15

Being lied to about interleaving

I placed and order with BT to have interleaving switched off, which after much fuss they did.

On my homehub i could see it was on fast and my broadband speed has dropped .5mb and using pingtest.net I was getting 12ms-14ms.

Now today I opted to check it again and my homehub now says Interleaved, the connection speed has gone up about .5mb and pingtest.net is now showing 24ms ping times.

I sent a complaint in and had a phone call back, where the agent told me that my interleaving was most definetly off.

I am sure that he either lied to me or there is some actual issue with BTs system or highly unlikey senario that everything at my end is lying to me.  How can I tell?

0 Ratings
14 REPLIES 14
Guru
Message 2 of 15

Re: Being lied to about interleaving

If you go to your router stats via your I.P 192.168.1.254, where you can see how much download upload speed you are getting, the should also be a column showing "Latency" which will be either Interleaving or Fast, if its Fast then its turned off if not it should say interleaving.

Depending if you have the HH3 its located on advanced settings if you wish to find it.

If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 15

If your line is not stable on "fast", then the DLM will revert to "interleaved". Perhaps you have too many errors on your line?

How many CRC errors do you see in 30 minutes?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 15

DLM is very clever in that it will take any measures it deems necessary to stabilise a line. If it's put interleaving back on it's because your line needs it to remain stable and error free.

In all honesty, the difference in ping is not going to affect you realistically. I don't know of any human that can tell the difference in 100th of a second. What's so important that you need interleaving switched off?
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
Guru
Message 5 of 15

Having interleaving off makes a major difference when it comes to online gaming, the difference sometimes can be monumental in terms of being "behind" someone, basically where there information is getting sent quicker to the internet than yours. Obviously upload comes into play here as well.

It's unfortunate that B.T don't have a feature like Sky, called a "Max Delay" feature which reduces ping time without interleaving been taken off, as far as i'm aware.

If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution
0 Ratings
NilSatisOptimum
Recognised Expert
Message 6 of 15

In order to maximise the effectiveness of the FEC, a delay is introduced to rearrange the data (interleaving), such that errors events are spread and that the probability of two errors hitting the same block is reduced. This allows the FEC to correct all the errors. This does however introduce delay, or latency that can affect ping times and possibly online gaming. However, there is a compromise here as the constant delay as introduced by interleaving is easier to deal with that random packet loss due to transmission errors. There are three options for interleaving status-

Opt in   - The line is always run in interleaved mode

Opt out - The line is always run in fast mode

Auto     - BT Wholesale will only interleave the line if required.

Ref http://www.thinkbroadband.com/files/broadband-max-​myths-and-legends.pdf  A shameful cut and paste.

Myst_eri. Did you use the Mods contact form, http://bt.custhelp.com/app/contact_email/c/4951  They are normally happy to accommodate such requests. 

My guess is they have just reset your line and have left you on Auto. I can time  mine to the hour on Auto- Fastpath until the 3rd day 16 hrs then Interleave is switched on.

Mortgage Advisor 2000-2008
Green Energy Advisor 2008-2010
Charity Health Care Provider Advisor 2010-
I'm alright Jack....
0 Ratings
myst_eri
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 15

The errors on my line are minimal.  I contacted the admins via this forum and they told me to contact the service desk.

Service desk placed the order (which the f* up 4 times!) before actual turning the interleaving off "Opt out - The line is always run in fast mode"

Yes on my homehub it definetly says interleaving and not fast

I need this off as playing COD MW3 is horrid. During the week is was on FAST I doubled my KD ratio on average.

I can see 2 days ago my broadband disconnected, so have to assume thats when they put me back on interleaved.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 15

hi can you please post your hub stats so we can advise further For homehub – type 192.168.1.254 into your browser
Navigate to ADSL Settings or use the A-Z at the top right of the home page and scroll down to ADSL Settings and click on it

Click on More Details and then post the full results.
0 Ratings
myst_eri
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 15

ADSL Line Status

Connection Information

Line state: Connected
Connection time: 0 days, 13:10:25
Downstream: 5.654 Mbps
Upstream: 1005 Kbps

ADSL Settings

VPI/VCI: 0/38
Type: PPPoA
Modulation: G.992.5 Annex A
Latency type: Interleaved
Noise margin (Down/Up): 4.2 dB / 6.0 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up): 48.7 dB / 31.9 dB
Output power (Down/Up): 19.8 dBm / 12.4 dBm
FEC Events (Down/Up): 37078584 / 0
CRC Events (Down/Up): 1164 / 132
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
HEC Events (Down/Up): 2945 / 404
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 940 / 77
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 15

I can only speak from personal experience but when I had ADSL, before moving to Infinity, I had a connection rate of just over 2meg. Interleaving was on and I never, ever had any problems playing online games through either my PC or PS3. Games I typically played were Call of Duty (black ops and MW3), Fifa 12 and Star Wars the old republic. My "ping" on SWTOR was never higher than 42ms and my connection bar on CoD was always 5/5 bars.

If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings