cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Message 11 of 21

Re: Broadband useage overcharge

i am having the exact same problem, £53 this month, have emailed customer services no reply as yet. HELP

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 12 of 21

Re: Broadband useage overcharge

I have just seen this post & am interested in any responses as have had virtually the exact same problem this month! There just does not seem to be any solutions to this but something seems to have gone wrong or is using data that we are not aware of! I have a post going above that I have posted today so will be keeping an eye on responses on this one too! It is so frustrating when you cannot see any reason for this, I am a very low data user! I have a 40 GB monthly allowance, I never go above 19 GB per month & have not changed anything!

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 13 of 21

Re: Being overcharged for additional broadband I'm not using

I too am very interested in this.  I have been a BT business infinity customer for nearly 2 years.  I have *Never* exceeded my 100GB cap up until the 'surprise' bill last week.  They stated I had gone over for Sept and Oct.  I thought this was strange and picked up the phone.

The lady I spoke with stated that I had used ~110GB in Sept and 329GB in Oct!  This was lunacy.  My particular setup is a Linux flavoured box running as the firewall / gateway for the internal network and this connects directly to the BT Hub.  All internal devices will funnel through this particular firewall host with the exception of -  my children's tablets.  Avvid youtubers, I was mindful that they may make a dent in the capped allowance.  With this, many months ago I installed the BTWifi App.  In my mind, this would mitigate the risk of them quota busting.

It bugged me no end, so I installed / configured vnstat to watch the linux box's external network adaptor.  I have the following the usage over the past few days.

day         rx      |     tx      |    total    |   avg. rate
     ------------------------+-------------+-------------+---------------
      11/28/14    230.60 MiB |   17.84 MiB |  248.44 MiB |   23.56 kbit/s
      11/29/14    326.98 MiB |  104.82 MiB |  431.80 MiB |   40.94 kbit/s
      11/30/14      1.11 GiB |   85.50 MiB |    1.19 GiB |  115.54 kbit/s
      12/01/14    182.91 MiB |   53.69 MiB |  236.60 MiB |   22.43 kbit/s
      12/02/14    380.40 MiB |   56.26 MiB |  436.67 MiB |   41.40 kbit/s
      12/03/14    136.07 MiB |   11.99 MiB |  148.06 MiB |   19.72 kbit/s

Today, I called up BT and somehow managed to mess up on the IVR and ended up talking to different group and a fantastic chap called Steve.  Great guy.  He was able to tell me what he was seeing with respect to usage.  He could not see today, but could see yesterday.  He had 1.417GB ...  My box tells me 436.67MiB = 457.88MB   So there's a HUGE discrepancy right there!

So I thought, righty, connect up to the Hub and see what it says.  Hub says ->

Internet Connection Configuration

Connection time:                                    4days, 08:11:14

Data Transmitted/Received (GB):             0.4/1.4

Which is closer to what I see, but somewhat less.

Also, he looked back at my historical information this year. 20 - 60GB was the norm pretty much for the previous months, and some of those included my youtube loving kids.  The only explanation I can think of is that maybe they lumped in the BTWifi usage with my regular usage.  But even still, 300GB...  In ONE month.  My kids would have tablet shaped eyes (looked at a web calculator - 50 hrs youtube is ~15GB  -- src- http://www.three.com.hk/website/appmanager/three/home?_nfpb=true&pageid=281001&_pageLabel=P600193131...

Steve, one of the most helpful people I have ever spoken to advised I email the query to a liteuseage address.  However, I have absolutely no idea how long they're going to take to respond or get back to me.  I just know in a few days time, BT are going to take out the £££s for this highly questionable overuse.  I, personally do not believe their numbers.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  This is driving me insane (and potentially, understandably, moving on....)

Thanks,

PB...

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 14 of 21

As a business user you need to post here https://business.forums.bt.com/

this is a residential forum

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 15 of 21

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 16 of 21

Tagging on to this as I'm currently disputing my bill as well. Have now received a letter from the BT debt recovery unit. The oh so helpful BT customer service agent admitted that the BT wifi hotspot that comes with you hub does in fact eat into your data very quickly changed his mind and said that I have to secure my hub!!! So angry and upset that BT will treat people like this. My credit rating will ow be affected by this.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 17 of 21

the wifi hotspot does not come out of your usage allowance you were miss advised there
0 Ratings
Recognised Expert
Message 18 of 21

@john46 wrote:
the wifi hotspot does not come out of your usage allowance you were miss advised there

It shouldn't but has in the past and was fixed by BT.  The mods have said it was a one off but there was never any explanation of what caused it - I suffered high usage prior to the official problem where the usage was extremely close to my wifi usage so I am of the opinion that there is some problem where wifi can be misrecorded albeit on a random basis.

This is the relevant thread https://community.bt.com/t5/Bills-Packages/Broadband-Usage-Massive-Surge/m-p/1326723#M43582

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 19 of 21

the actual usage on BT WiFi on the average hub is minimal due to the hubs overall wireless range you only need to read the number of posts on poor wifi coverage in the last 4 years i have recorded 0 usage of BT wifi from my hub
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 20 of 21

Whilst the usage of BT WiFi on the "average hub" may be minimal, the thing with averages is they are obtained by looking at ALL values.

Our WiFi usage for example is almost always in excess of our normal broadband usage, hence well above average.

We got charged for exceding our allowance when the BT error highlighted in the previous post existed earlier this year because of this very detail.

0 Ratings