Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MadameLoctite
Aspiring Contributor
Message 11 of 40

Re: Being tracked on my billing pages

@KerryG wrote:
  • eCustomerOpinions. We occasionally ask random customers visiting our pages to give us feedback. We do this via a questionnaire that they can reject. A cookie may be applied to prevent the same customer receiving the questionnaire again.

Random? more like every other visit. So as I clean out all cookies every visit like most web savvy people the darned thing keeps asking me to do a survey? Nice. BT sites leave so many cookies I would not know which piece of trash to leave in place. Any idea which one to leave?

And again - How do you turn Omniture off please?

0 Ratings
Message 12 of 40

Hello all,

Shocking all really!

Kerry, can you provide me with information on how to switch this service off please?  May boost my broadband speed and protect my privacy! lol

CG

CG Over An Out
0 Ratings
Pasha_Selim
Aspiring Expert
Message 13 of 40

@StewartM wrote:

Second Request

KerryG, please can you tell me how I turn this tracking off.

Stewart

Stewart, I share your - and others' on this thread - concerns about this Ominousture tracking that is stealthily lurking beneath on our personal BT account pages. I'm not an IT pro, and know little about how this sophisticated software works.

But, fwiw, try using Firefox with the Ghostery add-on. Kerry will hopefully be able to confirm or deny that this is a solution.

It looks to me that it blocks Omniture, and, in an attempt to educate myself, I followed the link, quickly found within the Ghostery info popup, that reveals the script. It appears to lie on this BT page: https://www2.bt.com/static/c/javascript/s_code_remote.js

Something puzzles me here though. There are these lines in the script:

var s_linkExternalFilters="www.bt.com"
var s_trackDownloadLinks=true
var s_trackExternalLinks=true
var s_trackInlineStats=true

that suggest to me, with my pretty rudimentary acquaintance with coding, that the tracking is ON (otherwise they would read "false")

and

var s_linkDownloadFileTypes="scc,png,swd,ppt,ram,swf,pme,pmb,rtf,exe,zip,wav,mp3,mov,mpg,avi,wmv,doc,pdf,xls

which suggests that these file types are being sought, and the links where they are found are being recorded by Omniture - unless you've got Ghostery or NoScript or something blocking the script. I have a suspicion that BT's recommendations don't encompass LSOs and "super-cookies" - pieces of information placed by a Flash plugin into central folders on your computer, outlasting indefinitely, which is a bit different from your basic "Remember Me" persistent cookie I think.

Yet the BT's Privacy Policy says BT´s cookies do not collect any information regarding the use of your PC or your Internet browsing in any way.

I'd be glad if someone, in a friendly gesture of helpful peer-to-peer support, can tell me if I've got this right or not, because I can't reconcile the lines in the script with that line about cookies from the Privacy Policy.

-- -.-- / ... .. --.
Value Added Guest (Inspiring Not Aspiring)
Rate a post if you like it! - just click the star under the user's name on the left. (N.B. ratings facility no longer available in Forum Help and Suggestions; nor is it available in the Lounge)

0 Ratings
Highlighted
StewartM
Contributor
Message 14 of 40

Sorry Pasha, straight over my head.

It would simply be better for Kerry to tell us how to turn it off.

So, THIRD REQUEST

KerryG, please can you tell me how to turn this tracking off.

Stewart

Stewart
0 Ratings
Stevo
Beginner
Message 15 of 40

On behalf of a relative who is a BT customer of 20+ years... how can the Omniture tracking be opted out of please? Two days for a reply and I'll help them ask themselves in a recorded delivery letter to BT HQ, followed by a complaint to the ICO if no suitable response follows. Sorry to register and make such a forceful sounding post, it is purely an attempt to support and help a relative who wants to know the answer. Steve.
Looking after Dad (because who else will?!)
Tags (2)
0 Ratings
Redflake
Aspiring Expert
Message 16 of 40

I also request that I am told how to turn this tracking off.

We ain't going away!

0 Ratings
MadameLoctite
Aspiring Contributor
Message 17 of 40

To block any spyware site you can block or divert specific servers

Here is the list of Omniture IPs - purely in a spirit of friendly peer to
peer advice and support...

Place in Firewall or Router (or HOSTS file)
Omniture, Visual Science, 2o7.net                
(This list may not be completely or totally up to date.)

If you are editing a hosts file - then it is just the first IP address in
each line that is relevant.

205.216.15.64  255.255.255.224
 205.216.7.128  255.255.255.240
 207.108.181.0  255.255.255.0
 208.77.136.0   255.255.252.0  
 216.143.122.0  255.255.254.0
 216.194.125.0  255.255.255.0
 216.52.17.0     255.255.255.0  
 63.251.92.32   255.255.255.248
 66.150.208.0   255.255.255.0
 66.150.217.0   255.255.255.224
 66.151.137.0   255.255.255.0
 66.151.146.192  255.255.255.224
 66.151.152.0   255.255.255.0  
 66.151.244.0   255.255.255.0  
 66.151.98.32   255.255.255.224
 66.235.128.0   255.255.224.0
 67.133.240.0   255.255.255.0
 69.25.29.0     255.255.255.0
 70.42.134.0   255.255.255.0  
 74.201.95.0   255.255.255.224
 64.154.80.0   255.255.248.0

see http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm for more information about HOSTS file blocking

0 Ratings
Somerled
Aspiring Expert
Message 18 of 40

@StewartM wrote:

Sorry Pasha, straight over my head.

It would simply be better for Kerry to tell us how to turn it off.

So, THIRD REQUEST

KerryG, please can you tell me how to turn this tracking off.

Stewart

It doesn't look like you're going to get an answer - so here's my work around :

Use Firefox as your browser, and instal the "Ghostery" plug in. This will completely stop the scripts installed by the BT.COM website from contacting Omniture.

If you want a more robust defence, block all outgoing traffic to all the Omniture IP ranges on your router's firewall. This is non-trivial, though, and won't apply on the Home Hub, which hasn't got this capability. You need something a bit more up-market. (I spotted the outgoing connections to Omniture some while ago, and promptly blocked them, both on the router and via Ghostery).

The privacy policy provides no help on this - it's too vague and non-specific. It doesn't really refer adequately to modern customer tracking and profiling methods. Take note - this has little to do with planting cookies. The responses from the BT people seem not to appreciate that.

Interestingly enough, the BTplc.com website (the corporate site used by the press etc.) doesn't attempt to  contact Omniture.......

0 Ratings
Pasha_Selim
Aspiring Expert
Message 19 of 40

@Somerled wrote:

The privacy policy provides no help on this - it's too vague and non-specific. It doesn't really refer adequately to modern customer tracking and profiling methods. Take note - this has little to do with planting cookies. The responses from the BT people seem not to appreciate that.

That's very helpful Somerled. I'm pretty ignorant about scripts, LSOs, how cookies work, and such-like, and not in the IT field of work, but try to understand the whole thing through helpful peer-to-peer support such as yours, so I am greatly comforted that your analysis matches mine Smiley Happy I'm learning something Smiley Very Happy

I believe that the script here: https://www2.bt.com/static/c/javascript/s_code_remote.js is significantly obfuscated, so makes it difficult to understand what is going on. That is not comforting Smiley Mad

-- -.-- / ... .. --.
Value Added Guest (Inspiring Not Aspiring)
Rate a post if you like it! - just click the star under the user's name on the left. (N.B. ratings facility no longer available in Forum Help and Suggestions; nor is it available in the Lounge)

0 Ratings
Community Manager - Retired
Message 20 of 40

Hi All

Omniture does not identify any individual user, it uses a cookie to distinguish one user from another when they visit the Web site. Omniture cannot ‘decode’ the cookie and work out who the user was. We use Omniture to understand anonymous user activity around the site. It is commonplace across the Internet industry to use this type of system to identify and improve usability issues customers are facing on Web sites. We do not pass personal data to Omniture.

Although no personal data is available to Omniture, if you would still like your visits to the consumer area of BT.com not to be counted, you can use the link below. This will place a cookie on your PC that in the vast majority of cases stops Omniture counting the pages you visit. We say 'in the vast majority of cases' because the complex nature of this system and the fact it helps us run reliable services means that some functionality may remain.

http://btcom.112.2o7.net/optout.html

It must be accepted that in order for us to deliver best experience for our customers, we use a range of systems, which comply with relevant laws and are industry best practice.

Thx

Kerry

Retired BTCare Community Manager - StephanieG and SeanD are your new Community Managers

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side of the post.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.

0 Ratings