Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
nich5
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 10

Best 3rd party router

Hi,

What is the best third party router that is affordable but has good performance which will work with BTW Infinity FTTC. I need a router that I can change the DNS server on and that has firewall settings which allows for TCP and UDP settings. When I spoke to TP-Link live chat they said that they have removed advanced firewall settings in their latest updates. D-Link said their home routers don't offer this either.

Thanks
Nicholas
@NicholasHayman
0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 10

Re: Best 3rd party router

That is a subjective question. It all depends on each individual users needs and personal findings of how the router works for them. I would imagine few people will have had a number of routers to try in order to test one against another in the same environment.

0 Ratings
nich5
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 10

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately I'm not made of money so I can't try loads of different ones. I really want an idea of which ones support advanced custom firewall rules.

Thanks
Nicholas
@NicholasHayman
0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 10

I am not suggesting that you try loads of different ones.

I was pointing out that I doubt if any of the forum members will have tried loads of different ones in order to compare one against another and as such they will only be able to give their opinion of the one router they have.

That will mean that you will get loads of different opinions all based upon the individual users use of their one router so you will be not be better informed regarding your question about which is the "Best 3rd party router."

0 Ratings
nich5
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 10

Yeh, fair enough. I just really want to know of routers which have good firewall settings and to get some people's personal experience of them. I will then explore the options I have and do some further research from there.
0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 10

A router firewall simply blocks incoming connections unless you have opened up a port, they all have that facility. What more do you want?

0 Ratings
nich5
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 10

Yeh, I just want to add these firewall rules to prevent people bypassing OpenDNS by changing their DNS server settings locally. https://support.opendns.com/hc/en-us/articles/227988027-Preventing-circumvention-of-OpenDNS-with-fir...
0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 10

@nich5 wrote:
Yeh, I just want to add these firewall rules to prevent people bypassing OpenDNS by changing their DNS server settings locally. https://support.opendns.com/hc/en-us/articles/227988027-Preventing-circumvention-of-OpenDNS-with-fir...

Now that is tricky. You have to block all outging requests on port 53 (DNS) apart from OpenDNS.

I can do that on my home hub 1 (ADSL) using the custom firewall settings

Source = LAN

Destination = WAN

Port = 53

Action = Drop

but I am not sure about other routers. I did think that TP-Link may have that facility, as I did discuss it on this forum a long time ago.

Some Netgear routers have parental controls which integrate with OpenDNS, I will see if I can find the page.

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 10

Here it is http://www.netgear.co.uk/discover/apps/lpc

It works in conjunction with OpenDNS, and with certain Netgear routers. Not sure if it can be bypassed.

0 Ratings
MorgaineD
Expert
Message 10 of 10

@nich5: If your need is urgent then this won't be relevant.

However, if you can wait a few months for the best advice, then I'd suggest that it may be to your advantage to wait until BT enables IPv6 on HH5 early in 2017, because that'll probably mark the start of BT's "official" offering of IPv6 on its residential lines. It has been available on HH6 for many months already, but except at IPv6 industry presentations, BT seems to be pretending that it doesn't exist yet. That'll change once the majority of subscribers have it, hence enabling of IPv6 on HH5 is relevant.

And why is that relevant to your question? Because when IPv6 becomes an official service on BT lines, 3rd party routers will be more verifiably described as compatible with BT's IPv6 Prefix Delegation, or in some cases not, and you really don't want to buy a "not". 🙂
0 Ratings