cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 8

Best Router for Infinity FTTP

Hi,

Can anyone advise on alternative routers for Infinity Fibre to the Premises as the Home hub 3 is a bit basic. Obviously it needs to support PPPoE, but I could also use something that would allow my to establish IPSec VPN's to a Cisco 3000 concentrator, as well as the usual security configurations and a decent DHCP server that allows for additional options such as TFTP server to be configured.

Ta

If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 8

Re: Best Router for Infinity FTTP

This is a thread of some, but don't know if they are any good for FTTP Fibre To The Premise.

I believe there is a FTTP forum you could check in with and perhaps get confirmation.

http://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Infinity/List-of-Routers-to-replace-Home-Hub-3/td-p/298203

--------------------------------------------//--------------------------------------------
Please Click On any Text in Blue as that automatically links to information.

PC (NDEGR)

0 Ratings
Expert
Message 3 of 8

The forum is a private one unfortunately for the FTTP trials & FVA.

Customers on the 'paid for' Option 3 don't get access .
0 Ratings
Contributor
Message 4 of 8

Drayteks do VPNs, but I think DHCP options are still limited. You need to start looking at proper full blown firewalls. Small Juniper SSG20 something like that.

Dave
0 Ratings
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 8

Ive got a box of Juniper (Netscreen) firewalls that only have a 100mb wan port, I'll give one a try, and see if it can keep up!

If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
Contributor
Message 6 of 8

I'm on 100mb fttp too and ditched the homehub for wnr3500l. Throughput is great but I'm using homeplugs which give me a maximum of 100mbps throughput so if BT were to do the upgrade, I would not be able to utilize the service fully and wiring cat6 is not viable.

0 Ratings
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 8

Cat5e will be okay up to 1Gb as long as you don't plan to have a single segment more than 100m.  If you are going more than 100m then I would say that you have a very nice house!

0 Ratings
Contributor
Message 8 of 8

It's not a viable option for me unfortunately. Ironically, today my throughput decreased to 85-90mbps. I tried the homehub 3 for the first time by ditching the wnr3500l and back up to 100mbps. It might have been a blip with my homeplugs, time will tell.

0 Ratings