Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 1 of 13

Best router for Infinity 2 ?

Hi All,

Have had BT Infinity 2 since it was first released years ago. Currently have a BT Home hub 4, but having issues with the Wi-Fi strength and range to certain devices, now that we have moved rooms about in the house.

Was considering getting a BT Smart Hub 6, but not so sure looking on these forums.

My Questions:

1. How much do BT currently offer the Smart Hub 6 to BT Infinity 2 customers?
  2. Any way to get one for free?
  3. Also can someone also recommend a third party router that is better the the Smart Hub 6 as a viable option?

Thanks Smiley Wink

0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 13

Re: Best router for Infinity 2 ?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 3 of 13

Thanks will have a read of links suggested 😉
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 13

@Xee wrote:
Thanks will have a read of links suggested 😉

Its a very common topic, there are probably more threads, but they should give you a start.

Wireless range depends on ERP (Effective Radiated Power). All wireless routers are limited to 100mW power output, so its important to make effective use of this small power limitation.

Internal aerials like those on the home hub, are not as effective as external aerials, as power gets absorbed within the internal circuitry.

Good third party routers have two or more external aerials, which ensure that nearly all or the signal is transmitted to air, with minimal loss.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 5 of 13

I like the sound of the Asus DSL-AC68U most of all. Just need to find it for the best price now.

Do you know of any cons for this router/modem?

Also someone mentioned there are some tweaks that can or should be made?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Sage
Message 6 of 13

A very good choice. You may wish to have a look HERE.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 7 of 13

Thanks pip, looks interesting, but it only seems to refer to the RT and not DSL models? Or am I missing something?
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 8 of 13

Do you have BT TV too ? Just be careful with the ASUS '68 as I tried it and was a bit of a faff getting the internet channels to work despite the router having IPTV settings.

Managed to get them all working eventually apart from BT Sport UHD channel. In end went back to HH6.

If you dont have BT TV its a very good substitute for the HH6. Just make sure you use the latest firmware (or try the custom firmwares floating about)

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 9 of 13

Had the Asus DSL-AC68U for quite a while now & find there are no cons to it. Also recommended it to my son & he's happy with his.

No problems with the IPTV channels, only had to reboot the router & the Youview box twice in nearly 2 years to clear the 6023(?) error.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 10 of 13

hi, just wondering if by any chance you can post a picture of your setup, i bought this router on friday and havent been able to set it up yet. it keeps saying no dsl connected but the dsl light is lit up blue, im at my wits end with it now lol

0 Ratings