Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Simonh102
Beginner
Message 1 of 14

Best way of extending distance between connection and router

Hi, I'm hoping somebody with technical can help me with my issue

I run a fishing club and we are getting connected to broadband. The openreach engineers have connected to the main line and left a cable hanging out of an exterior box. The next stage is for someone to come and connect the master socket and hub

The problem is that the ideal location for this is 300m as the crow flies and 500m if cable had to be run.

There is no mains power from the point at which the engineers connected to and the ideal location for the hub/router.

Can I use 2 antennas or dishes to beam and receive the signal? I can place these high above trees and I can have a direct line of sight between the send and receive Ariel. Or should I use telephone cable (cheap) or Ethernet (cat 5/6) to run to the master socket/hub/router. I have heard you can't run Ethernet more than 100m without boosters which I assume require mains power? Is this the same for telephone cable?

Any technical advice on the best way of achieving this gratefully received
0 Ratings
13 REPLIES 13
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 14

Re: Best way of extending distance between connection and router

Is this a BT Business connection?

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 14

Are you saying there is no mains power where the Openreach engineers have left the cable or where you would like to site the hub? The hub requires mains power to operate.

If there is no mains power at the distant location you have no options open to you. You can't extend the telephone line as there will be no power for the hub and you can't site the hub at the near location and extend Ethernet as there is no power for the device you intend to extend to and Ethernet won't work over that distance in any case. If there is mains at the distant location you can extend the telephone cable using preferably Cat5/6E cable.

0 Ratings
Simonh102
Beginner
Message 4 of 14

Hi, yes it's a by business connection. There is no mains power where the engineers have left the cable but there is mains power 300m as the crow flies or 500m away from the cable where the hub will be located
0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 14

See edited post above, but why didn't you specify the location of the master socket in the first place?

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 14

@Simonh102 wrote:
Hi, yes it's a by business connection. There is no mains power where the engineers have left the cable but there is mains power 300m as the crow flies or 500m away from the cable where the hub will be located

This is actually the residential forum. As you are paying for a BT Business connection, Openreach should fit the master socket wherever you specify, as its part of your contract.

Most businesses need a connection at a specific part of the building, so the installer will be expected to fit it there.

You would normally specify the location of the NTE, as part of the order process. Did you do that?

Simonh102
Beginner
Message 7 of 14

Sorry, I thought it was clear that there is no power where the cable comes onto my property but there is power where the socket and hub should be located. As per my original message I have been told that cat5 can't be run this far so can I use antennas?
0 Ratings
Simonh102
Beginner
Message 8 of 14

No mention of it on the contract, given the service given by by so far I can't imagine they will run something 500m.

Is their anyone on the forum with technical knowledge who can answer the question in my original post?
0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 14

I've already given you the technical answer.

0 Ratings
Simonh102
Beginner
Message 10 of 14

Yes but you can't use cat 5/6 over the distance I require.

I don't know why people on forums bother posting if they don't know the answer
0 Ratings