Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 31 of 46

Re: Beware - Google Chromecast Audio & Home Hub 5

Hi Guys,

Google has posted a response to this issue over on their forum (https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!msg/chromecast/3PiH_40qLBw/uu94wyHJBgAJ),

The statement reads,

“Hi Everyone,

We have become aware of some Chromecast Audio users with BT Home Hub and Plus Net One routers having connectivity issues after a recent Chromecast Audio firmware update. After the update of Chromecast Audio some BT Home Hub and Plus Net routers trigger a reboot and disconnect the Chromecast Audio from the network. This issue seems to be isolated to some BT related routers. Our team has been working to address this issue quickly by adding a workaround for the BT routers in our next firmware version which is now available for download.

Since these Chromecast Audio devices can’t be connected to your router anymore to download the latest firmware, here is one possible workaround to recover from this situation:

• Connect your Chromecast Audio device to a different router other than the BT Home Hub or Plus Net One. (See how to change the WiFi network my Chromecast is connected to)
  • Go to your Google Home app to opt into the 'Preview Program'
  • Wait for about 15 min to an hour and reboot your Chromecast Audio device to get the latest Preview firmware version 1.22.77272
  • Once on this latest Preview firmware version, you can connect your Chromecast Audio device back to your existing BT Homehub or Plus Net One router.

We understand that some of you may not have the option to use an alternate router so we are still looking at other options and will keep you posted. In the meanwhile, please contact customer support for any questions.

We apologize for the inconvenience caused by this issue.”

Thanks

DanielS

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 32 of 46

FWIW, I think I am currently also having this issue, but with Home Hub 4 Type A (Infinity 2 using a separate ADSL2 modem).

Does anyone know if it would work with the 'BT SMART HUB'? Though they tell me that would cost me £65 and I think I'd just rather buy my own....

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 33 of 46

Re: HH5 keeps factory resetting

@jingies wrote:

Similar to what others have posted, but if you can connect to your hub using an Ethernet cable you can then create a new wireless network independently of the hub and use this to update away from the broken firmware.

Unplug chromecast

Wire computer to hub

Create new wireless network on computer

Setup Chromecast Audio on new wireless network

Wait until CCA gets new firmware

Connect CCA to bthub without issue.

For windows 10, see http://www.windowscentral.com/how-turn-your-windows-10-pc-wireless-hotspot 

I know it can be done in other versions of windows, but I don't have links to hand.

Looks like both BT and Google are blaming the others hardware.

In addition to my previous solution, you can deactivate the wifi on the hub once you have connected to it using a wired connection. Instructions here, http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/44426/~/how-do-i-turn-wi-fi-on-and-off-on-the-bt-hub%...

To update my previous steps:

Unplug chromecast

Connect a computer to hub using wired connection

Deactivate Hub wifi

Create wireless hotspot on computer

Setup CCA to use new hotspot.

Update CCA

Reactivate Hub Wifi

Reconnect CCA to hub Wifi

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 34 of 46

@davidmaxwaterman wrote:

FWIW, I think I am currently also having this issue, but with Home Hub 4 Type A (Infinity 2 using a separate ADSL2 modem).

Does anyone know if it would work with the 'BT SMART HUB'? Though they tell me that would cost me £65 and I think I'd just rather buy my own....

Don't even think about paying for a Smart Hub.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 35 of 46

@licquorice wrote:

@davidmaxwaterman wrote:

Don't even think about paying for a Smart Hub.

LOL, I didn't. I *did* think about having one for free...and I thought about paying for my own anyway.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 36 of 46

They are grossly overpriced at free.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 37 of 46

Speaking hyperthetically, if I had raised a fault and a BT engineer had attended and replaced my HH5 router because of this CCA firmware snafu, would I be liable for a callout charge?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 38 of 46

If the HH is faulty and you are still in contract it would be replaced fee of charge.

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/12439/~/engineer-charges

In this case it would appear to be a Google fault in their software and not a BT one so that would probably incur a charge.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 39 of 46

Ah, just as well I have no idea what a Chromecast Audio is...
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 40 of 46

For what its worth I am not convinced Google is to blame.

1 - It sounds like only this one device is affected. Do we imagine that in their labs they have one of every possible wifi device worldwide to test against? No, they do what they would expect any device to be able to handle. That this particular device is failing says to me that it is probably an inherent fault that they have triggered.

2 - I am horrified that a WiFi station can cause an access point to reset itself. If someone could reproduce the relevant bit of Googles code they would have an effective denial of service against these hubs.

In this case I am ruling against BT!

b

0 Ratings