cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
chrisvc
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 23

Big speed loss since Frriday's Failure

To be brief my speed dropped off from 6mbps before Friday's outage to 1.5mbps yesterday morning when service was restored and now it's  barely managing 640kbps today. After a nice session with BT India to verify we aren't plugged into the toaster etc they say it's just a coincidence that this has happened and  it must be something with our line (I totally disagree as nothing changed apart from the outage happening!)

IP profile is set at 1000 - don't know what it was before Friday as wasn't interested. Data below obviously shows that we've only been connected 4 hours but this is at the behest of BT India making us clart about.

Bottom line is that come WednesdayI need to have a connection capable of supporting me watching some online lectures i.e. watching live video and this connection obviously won't support it - is there anything I can do to get BT to pull their fingers out? I'm at the point of ringing around friends and family to find someone with a suitable connection I can spend 2 weeks at but obviously this isn't a cure!

Any advice that doesn't involve waiting for days greatly appreciated.

Connection information<script type="text/javascript">// createTable("normal", trClass, td1, td2); // </script>
Line stateConnected
Connection time0 days, 4:49:23
Downstream8,128 Kbps
Upstream448 Kbps

ADSL settings<script type="text/javascript">// createTable("normal", trClass, td3, td4); // </script>

VPI/VCI0/38
TypePPPoA
ModulationITU-T G.992.1
Latency typeInterleaved
Noise margin (Down/Up)8.1 dB / 23.0 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up)27.0 dB / 14.5 dB
Output power (Down/Up)19.8 dBm / 12.3 dBm
Loss of Framing (Local)10
Loss of Signal (Local)4
Loss of Power (Local)0
FEC Errors (Down/Up)647 / 0
CRC Errors (Down/Up)0 / 2147480000
HEC Errors (Down/Up)nil / 0
Error Seconds (Local)5
0 Ratings
22 REPLIES 22
mat008
Contributor
Message 2 of 23

Re: Big speed loss since Frriday's Failure

Join the club Smiley Mad all I can say is good luck and I hope someone here can help you (the mods here seem better than BT India)

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 23

you have an 8mb connection and it looks good.  The disconnections have dropped your profile but if you stay connected 24/7 for next few days then your profile will come back up to normal

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
chrisvc
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 23

Thanks for the words of wisdom but the connection keeps on dropping itself (connection time is now a mere 7 minutes without any interefeence from myself. Is there anyway to get BT to do something about this? Their advice to wait just seems useless is the connection keeps on dropping by itself?
0 Ratings
PheeragHfre
Recognised Expert
Message 5 of 23

@chrisvc wrote:
Thanks for the words of wisdom but the connection keeps on dropping itself (connection time is now a mere 7 minutes without any interefeence from myself. Is there anyway to get BT to do something about this? Their advice to wait just seems useless is the connection keeps on dropping by itself?

If any maintenance work is still ongoing on your part of the network you sync may drop. Smiley Sad

Not easy & needs patience.

Advise only:

Wait until your connection stops dropping and see if it recovers, before you intervene or reset your system.

My connection dropped 30 times on one weekend (network maintenance) but the next day the profile recovered.

"I have this awful feeling someone is watching every move I make (one of my pet hates is router location tagging)." Marvin (A paranoid Android)
0 Ratings
Highlighted
chrisvc
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 23

Will do - thanks for taking the time to reply.

0 Ratings
chrisvc
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 23

Update since Sunday's posts:

We told by BT India that someone would call back about problems within 24 hours (i.e. by 1400 Monday). Nobody did of course. When I then called them back I was told there wasn't a fault on the line (strange because there was on Sunday but for some reason I didn't believe it). He then had me swap my filters (again - and I've got 5 of the buggers so they can't all have mysteriously failed since Friday!) and told me that it was being passed to the engineering department who would called within a three hour window today - nobody called.

I know the common consensus is to wait for things to recover by themselves (My IP Profile is at 750kbps whereas we used to get >6meg) however I have just paid a considerable amount of money on a distance learning masters degree that reuires my to take part in (not just watch) lectures via streaming video and obviously I can't do this downloading at 680kbps (I've already tested it - I can't even get BTs own help videos to load).

Is there anyway I can get some intervention and get my IP Profile changed manually? If not I may as well dump the homehub in the bin and use my mobile for email and what little surfing I do.

Sorry for the moaning posts but BTs customer service should be thoroughly ashamed of itself. It's bad enough being patronised and lied to but when you pay or the plaesure it's just doubly insulting. Rant over.

0 Ratings
chrisvc
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 23

Stats as of this afternoon - short connection time due to BT India's insistance I swap for a different filter (really?- it didn't work the first 3 times why would it now?). Connected to test socket, all power cables removed from proximity and held under armed guard etc. etc.

Line stateConnected
Connection time0 days, 23:01:15
Downstream8,128 Kbps
Upstream448 Kbps

<script type="text/javascript">// createTable("normal", trClass, td3, td4); // </script>

VPI/VCI0/38
TypePPPoA
ModulationITU-T G.992.1
Latency typeInterleaved
Noise margin (Down/Up)8.1 dB / 23.0 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up)27.0 dB / 14.5 dB
Output power (Down/Up)19.8 dBm / 12.4 dBm
Loss of Framing (Local)0
Loss of Signal (Local)0
Loss of Power (Local)0
FEC Errors (Down/Up)4207 / 1
CRC Errors (Down/Up)2 / 2147480000
HEC Errors (Down/Up)nil / 2
Error Seconds (Local)2
0 Ratings
PheeragHfre
Recognised Expert
Message 9 of 23

Smiley Sad

How long did you leave your Hub disconnected?

Have you tried disconnecting  for perhaps 10-15 minutes to properly lose any possible false settings from your router & get the exchange to properly renegotiate a connection?

See the post in this thread (by DS)

http://community.bt.com/t5/BB-in-Home/National-BB-fault/td-p/60824/page/8

"I have this awful feeling someone is watching every move I make (one of my pet hates is router location tagging)." Marvin (A paranoid Android)
chrisvc
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 23

Hub was off on Friday night due to BT fault. Was then restarted multiple times on BT Indias insistence on Sunday but this made speed worse. Bit confused here - should I leave it on to try and get IP profile raised or reset it?
0 Ratings