cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Patty-L
Recognised Expert
Message 11 of 145

Re: Bill date brought forward 7 days for no apparent reason

I apologise if I have misunderstood this post.

I have monthly whole bill  payment by direct debit. My bill was issued on 19/9 and will be taken by DD on 3/10 which is 14 days the same as always.

0 Ratings
Blue_Monk
Beginner
Message 12 of 145

Hi,

I am having the same issue with the DD being set on the 28th ( When i renewed my contract i told the guy that i want the DD date after the 26th because i am getting my paycheck on that day).

They took the money on the 23rd and now i'm £4 in debit.

Is there a way to obtain the reference number for call when i agreed to the renewal ?

Also is there a way to get a transcript ?

I want to cancel my contract since i specified that I want the money taken out of my account only after the 26th.

0 Ratings
blennerhassett
Beginner
Message 13 of 145

New Direct Debit collection date ...

I have a BT Account paying for my broadband and phone.  I downloaded my latest bill today and was staggered to see the Direct Debit collection date had moved forward by about 7 days.  Consequently, I investigated the BT website which now says that collections will be made 8 days from the bill date.  I feel that this collection date infringes the principles of the Direct Debit guarantee which clearly stipulates that normally payment will be taken after a period of 10 working days. I have noticed a number of people complaining on the BT Forums of the same problem, some even claiming that the earlier collection of their payment has caused them to go overdrawn.  Apart from the downloaded bill, I have received no communication from BT notifying me of a change in their work practices or terms and conditions. In fact, the last communication I received from BT which stated the terms of my Direct Debit was an email following acceptance of my order in August 2011.  It said "We will continue to collect it (Direct Debit) either two weeks after you receive your bill or on the date agreed with you ..." and was allegedly signed by Warren Buckley.

Does this change to the Direct Debit collection date without prior notification affect every Direct Debit BT Account or I am part of a small minority?  Telephoning Customer Services proved to be a total waste of time so now I've informed Watchdog.  I'd be interested to hear other people's experiences and attitudes regarding this misapplication of the Direct Debit Guarantee.

0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 14 of 145

Re: New Direct Debit collection date ...

The forum moderators will get involved in this post as soon as they read your post they will post there reply and give you a contact link to them

Please do not send them a personal message, as your message will not be tracked properly.also the mod you personal message may not be on duty for some time and that will delay your help further.mod contact.JPG

0 Ratings
RobbieMac
Message 15 of 145

Hi blennerhassett,

Welcome to the community and thanks for posting!

I just wanted to clear a few things up about the direct debit collection date.  We are acting within the Direct Debit scheme rules as our advance notice period is 6 working days so by collecting 8 or 11 days later (8 if you have an online bill or 11 for paper bills) it's still within the Direct Debit scheme rules and the change has been supported by our sponsor bank.

If you'd like to choose the date of the amount when the Direct Debit comes out of your account you can sign up for a monthly payment plan.  More info on this is available here

All the best,

Robbie

0 Ratings
blennerhassett
Beginner
Message 16 of 145

BT obviously has a cashflow problem and is trying to relieve its difficulties by suddenly creaming as much from the customers as they possibly can.  I appreciate that BT’s Direct Debit Guarantee stipulates 6 days but the Direct Debit website’ s sample Guarantee suggests that normally this should be 10 working days.  The word “normally”, I take to mean as in a normal supplier/customer relationship.  Obviously, our relationship with BT is no longer normal.  Furthermore, I consider it would have been appropriate for BT to have informed their customers, so affected, of their intention to change their terms of business.  Failure to do so suggests that BT really wanted to sweep their change of practice under the carpet.  It was also downright rude …

0 Ratings
morrit
Beginner
Message 17 of 145

Had this happen to me... Been charged by bank for failed DD payment on 23rd.  Only found out when my bank sent me a letter today saying they were charging me for failed DD.  Rang BT, after waiting 30 minutes for someone to speak to me (not including the 15 minutes of sodding autmated voices asking this and that, disconnections ect etc).  EVENTUALLY spoke to someone and they said the usual 'I'm sorry for the inconvenience'  'we are within the guidelines etc etc'.  Now...for a company that is a STAPLE British company that 'excels in Customer service' then BT are failing miserably.  I recently renewed my contract after being offered a better deal for broadband and I SPECIFIED that my money needed to go out on the 25th AT THE EARLIEST.  No mention of date changes etc etc...

6 years I have been paying my bill on time every month on or after the 25th of each month... Now this... And in this day and age of small things affecting credit ratings, and mine being fragile as it is,  I guess I can kiss goodbye to my mortgage application!  What's the point?  If we create enough fuss then they will HAVE to address this...

0 Ratings
_dreamer_
Aspiring Expert
Message 18 of 145

Mine was also taken early for some unknown reason this month, my bill was issued on 12th September and BT took the money out of the account on 20th., normally the direct debit goes out on or around 26th.
0 Ratings
katthechimp
Aspiring Contributor
Message 19 of 145

Aaaarh ive had this too! And sent me of too

0 Ratings
katthechimp
Aspiring Contributor
Message 20 of 145

This means ive had two bt payments in one month, im now pennyless overdrawn and as above says bye bye credit rating. First time in years ive been overdrawn. I'll now get charged too so even more poo credit.

No warning no nothing. Im a loyal customer.

So tomorrow ill speak to someone try sort it. Has anyone else had luck sorting this?
0 Ratings