cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Merc123
Beginner
Message 1 of 4

Bizarre connection issues. Hard problem.

Go to solution

Ok so this is a weird issue that i doubt im going to be able to solve here, but one of you must know what is going on here. i will try to be brief.

We had a power cut because someone left a lamp plugged in that kept shorting the house. 

Before i realised the router had been plugged in we had the power short multiple times when turning it on at the electric main board switches, eventually working out the lamp was causing the problem

Half way through this process i realised our homehub 6 was plugged in and unplugged it

When we sorted what was shorting the house it was plugged back in it started displaying a green light, with a tiny red flicker every now and again. Sometimes the green light would drop to no light for a split second 

Powerline adapter showed the connection around the house dropping every time it flickered red, it would briefly go solid green to show it was connected but then this flickering red light would cause the light to go off on the powerline.

Called bt support who ran several investigations, said there was a problem between the house and exchange and then said it had been fixed.

Went through the usual rigmarole of holding the power button for 20 seconds. Did this twice after he said the problem between here and the exchange was fixed.

Argued for 20 minutes because the guy couldn't understand what i thought was reasonable logic that if the line supported old routers/modems that one of our older ones should work if he was saying there was no problem on the line. 

Offered to send out a new homehub 6, agreed. Still working out what he was talking about as he was making it sound like the line would only work with a homehub 6, yet understood/agreed with my argument that if the line was fine any router should work. 

ok this is where it starts getting weird:

Changed microfilters and used the socket behind the 5c faceplate.

Plugged in an old homehub 5. Gets to a blue steady light but no default gateway in ipconfig, yellow triangle on wifi connection. RJ45 connection won't hold steady.

Can't access the router login page on it, again no default gateway and connection doesn't hold long enough to access

Won't work from an iphone, connects to the router but says no internet access. 

ipconfig flushed dns, released and renewed. 

Used an asus router via RJ45

When setting up it cycles while trying to detect the connection, drops and reconnects continuously

Can't be set up because it won't hold long enough to detect

ADSL light on the router blinks 3 times, has a breather and carries on with the same 3 blinks. 

It looks superficially like the homehub 5 with its steady blue light is picking up a connection, but yellow triangle on the connecting device and no default gateway appearing. really have no clue what is going on. 

HELP!

edit - in addition the phone connected through the microfilter also appears not to be working

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
XRaySpeX
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 4

Re: Bizarre connection issues. Hard problem.

Go to solution

@Merc123 wrote:

in addition the phone connected through the microfilter also appears not to be working 

Eliminate it down to the bare min. Do you get any dial tone with a corded handset straight into the hidden test socket behind the faceplate? Use no filter & disconnect router.

If not, there's a fault between you and exchange or cab. Report it as a voice fault, no dial tone, & do not mention BB. Often sorting out voice faults will fix the Broadband as well.

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 4

Go to solution

as @XRaySpeX says I would check for a dial tone at the test/hidden socket as that would account for no internet conenction.  if no dial tone or bad noise then report phone fault to 151

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Merc123
Beginner
Message 4 of 4

Go to solution

Ok so we tried the phone, admittedly only a cordless one but it worked calling in and out. I had a bit of a brainwave overnight and realised that the homehub 5 i was using as a backup was previously set up by myself as a repeater (hence the SSID being not what it should have been for a homehub), so i did a hard reset on it and, of course, it started working. Picked up the internet. So it looks like the homehub 6 blinking red is actually fried, but still doesn't explain the asus being weird. At least its working now though. Thanks for the help this is still useful info to know in the future.  

0 Ratings