cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 6

Blocked youtube with parental controls - suddenly it is leaking through

Hi all,

I set up my parental controls to block various nuisance sites that my kids were addicted to in lockdown, youtube was one of them. I'd blocked youtube.com, along with redirector.googlevideo.com, youtubei.googleapis.com, youtubekids.com, ytimg-edge-static.I.google.com. It worked well for about 6 months, but suddenly today youtube is back, leaking through the parental controls barrier. I've not changed any settings, the above sites are still on my blocked list, and my parental controls are still blocking other sites (e.g. tiktok.com).

Can anyone help - why is youtube suddenly being allowed through please?

Thanks!

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Re: Blocked youtube with parental controls - suddenly it is leaking through

The kid's have probably got round the parental controls 

Message 3 of 6

me too. In https://my.bt.com/s/apps/appsmybt/#/parentalcontrols I've blocked below

• googlevideo.com
  • l.google.com
  • m.youtube.com
  • s.ytimg.com
  • youtube.com
  • youtube.l.google.com
  • ytimg.com
  • ytimg.l.google.com

It used to work but now lets computers on my network through (still blocks phones/tablets)

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 6

@josephjcasey your kids are probably running a VPN or something similar in the background without your knowledge

Message 5 of 6

If your children are using a VPN to get past parental controls it is most likely they are using a free VPN.

A search of their devices should show if the have one installed and is so you can delete it and to try and prevent it happening again you should do an Internet search for free VPNs and add the web address for the VPNs to your parental control list.

Message 6 of 6

Or simply not using BTs DNS servers, which have to be used for parental controls.