cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Message 1 of 4

Both connection issues and only house on street to not have Infinity enabled

Good evening/day/morning to whoever is reading.

Im writing this for my parents who are having a major problem but dont know where to turn.
My parents have been BT customers for several years (Going on 6+ If i remember correctly) and have been having issues ever since, very minor issues but issues nonetheless.
These issues involve D/c's (Disconnection from the internet) atleast 3-4 times a day and full blown connection downtime for 5-10 minutes on some occasions, they tend to believe it is down to engineers in the area sorting something out but I believe it to be something different entirely as I rarely see Openreach vans/other telecommunication vans near there cabinet or line for that matter.
The previous owner of the house (12 years ago) was a tinker of sorts and liked to do his own handywork and in doing so I believe changed the main telephone out/input socket a bit. This knowledge comes from one of the BT Tech support guys, who unfortunately I cannot remember his name, telling me that the main socket should be merely one phone line in/out socket where as the only one in the house is 2 sockets. I can 100% guarantee this is the only phoneline socket in the house. Any ideas? as this I think is the route of the problem but no-one has been able to inform myself or my parents if this is the case.

This then leads me onto the second problem, BT Fibre optics.
Every house on the street has the ability to get fibre optic installed infact I have spoken to a few neighbours who HAVE had it installed. Using the Broadband checker I clarified this information, yet my parents are stuck with the BT total package with speeds of 4-6 Mbps. I can also confirm that all of the houses are connected to the same cabinet including my parents home. So this is where I think the previous problem is true as the checker does say that one reason why BT infinity may not be available is problems with the personal line.

I have used another Broadband availability checker which many of you may know called "Samknows.com" which does say FTTC is available for my parents house so that makes me think that the cabinet is certainly enabled but there is a problem with the line itself, which would also explain the speed comparisons with my next door neighbours identical broadband package (Unlimited downloads, Same average speed estimate and cost) I am aware that downloads can cause you to fall into the fair use policy bucket where speeds are slowed down, but my parents are not avid downloaders of sorts.

I look forward to your responses and ideas to fix the issues, We have rang the customer/tech support teams numerous times but with no avail to solving these issues as I dont think they posess the tools to understand/fix these issues.

The last option is obviously to call an engineer but would like to see if there is anything that can be done before we have to dedicate a day off for the engineer to come down.

Thank you

Tom Chance.

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 4

Re: Both connection issues and only house on street to not have Infinity enabled

welcome to the BT community forum where customers help customers and only BT employees are the forum mods

from memory the samknows website just says the exchange has been upgraded for fibre but that does not mean it is available to everyone on the exchange - it depends whether your cabinet upgraded or not

in order for the forum members to help please can you post the adsl stats from your router may need to 'show detail' to get all stats (if hub enter 192.168.1.254 in your browser and navigate to adsl or use a-z, if netgear enter 192.168.0.1) and run  btspeedtester  (MAC users may have problems). when first test completes then run diagnostic test and post the results .

are you connected directly via a filter to the NTE5 master or test socket or to somewhere else? Is the master the only phone socket in your home?

Have you tried the quiet line test? - dial 17070 option 2 - should hear nothing - best done with a corded phone. if cordless phone you may hear a 'dull hum' which is normal

Someone may then be able to offer help/assistance/suggestions to your problem

test socket.jpg

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 3 of 4

Re: Both connection issues and only house on street to not have Infinity enabled

Connection information
Line stateConnected
Connection time0 days, 0:20:32
Downstream4,955 Kbps
Upstream1,127 Kbps

ADSL settings
VPI/VCI0/38
TypePPPoA
ModulationITU-T G.992.5
Latency typeInterleaved
Noise margin (Down/Up)8.8 dB / 6.2 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up)38.5 dB / 20.6 dB
Output power (Down/Up)0.0 dBm / 12.8 dBm
Loss of Framing (Local)0
Loss of Signal (Local)5
Loss of Power (Local)0
FEC Errors (Down/Up)0 / 0
CRC Errors (Down/Up)668 / N/A
HEC Errors (Down/Up)N/A / 0
Error Seconds (Local)20

This was at 1:40pm today.

Diagnostic test returned this

Download  Speed
 4.27 Mbps

0 Mbps4 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed

Download speedachieved during the test was - 4.27 Mbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 1.2 Mbps-4 Mbps.
 IP Profile for your line is - 4.38 Mbps

2. Upstream Test:  -provides background information.

Upload Speed
 0.98 Mbps

0 Mbps0.83 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed

Upload speed achieved during the test was - 0.98Mbps
 Additional Information:
 Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 0.83 Mbps

Shall try the quiet line test once im free, thank you for your quick response and I hope this information helps.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 4

can you also check this post by RogerB which gives ideas to help improve your connection

http://community.bt.com/t5/BB-in-Home/Poor-Broadband-speed/m-p/14217#M8397

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings