cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jmo33
Beginner
Message 1 of 7

Bought new house, previous owner hasn't cancelled their line rental

I recently moved into a new home and tried to order BT Infinity. I was told my order was automatically stopped as the previous owner has not cancelled their line rental over the current line to the property. I was told by BT that the only options were (a) getting the previous owner to cancel the line or (b) having a new line installed.

I don't have any contact details for the previous owner and neither the estate agent nor the conveyancer are the most helpful so I'm unsure whether I'll be able to make contact with them to get the line rental ended. Having a new line installed is also a pain as I'll have to pay for it and my work situation makes it very difficult to take a day off waiting around for an installation. 

Does anybody know of any other solution to the predicament? Unless I can find a way to unilaterally take over the line I am going to be waiting well into the New Year to get my home broadband set up. Obviously this is far from ideal. A BT adviser told me that I could contact Openreach to take over the line, but the Openreach website says that this isn't the case.

I can't imagine I'm the first person to be in this position, any help would be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks in advance.

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 7

Re: Bought new house, previous owner hasn't cancelled their line rental

there is little you can do other then getting a new line
0 Ratings
conrad
Recognised Expert
Message 3 of 7

Are you receiving any mail addressed to the previous owner, if not then they may have mail redirection in place so just send them a letter addressed to them where you are and it may get things moving.

0 Ratings
MikeyC123
Contributor
Message 4 of 7

Can't you just buy an infinity compatible modem and plug it into the line and use their infinity connection, assuming they are still paying it ?
0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 7

I would get back in touch with the vendor who was acting on behalf of the seller, whether that is an estate agent or a solicitor and advise them of the problem and they will either have to contact the seller on your behalf or supply you the sellers new address which they will without doubt have.

If they fail to do that advise them that you will be contacting their governing body to lodge a complaint about them failing to assist in the completion of the sale and acting in the best interest of both you and their client. By failing to inform their client of this problem it will be causing their client to run up an unnecessary bill with BT which will if un-paid because the bill can not be forwarded to their client, will ultimately cause an escalation which could affect their clients credit rating.  

0 Ratings
maeserati
Beginner
Message 6 of 7

In legal terms, if the line is still being used by someone not owning the property (your property), then under English law, this would be a tort. Damages to you and giving legal liability to the previous owner.

BT need to disconnect the line immediately. You are the freehold owner of the land and property and you do not give BT permission to put a third party connection in your home.

BT saying 'there is nothing they can do' is nonsense. They can disconnect the line same-day if pushed.

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 7

@maeserati  as this thread is 5 years old I think it is safe to say that problem was resolved

another example why old threads should be locked

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.