Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
belucky22
Contributor
Message 1 of 6

Box and Wi-fi

Go to solution

I am a complete novice.  Is it possible to use the box with Wi-Fi or does it have to be connected by cable to the hub ?

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 6

Re: Box and Wi-fi

Go to solution

Either by cable, or broaband extenders, not wireless.

see http://www.shop.bt.com/mini-sites/connected-home/broadband-extenders

0 Ratings
belucky22
Contributor
Message 3 of 6

Go to solution

Thanks Keith very much appreciated especially with help of link.  Just to make things absolutely clear for someone with my vrey limited knowledge.

If I plug that in to a socket behind my tv do I have to connect anything else by cable, e.g to tv or extender to router ?

Thanks for your patience

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 6

Go to solution

I am assuming that your home hub is not in the same room as the YouView box, otherwise you would just run an Ethernet cable?

If the home hub is elsewhere, then the main extender unit connects via a shorrt Ethernet cable, to the home hub. This cable may come with the unit.

The other end connects to the Youview box, via a short Ethernet cable.

Bothe ends need to plug into a mains socket, as the extenders use the mains wiring to carry the data.

In this diagram, the TV represents the BT YouView box.

The router is the home hub.

NeilO
Message 5 of 6

Go to solution

@belucky22 Yes you still need to connect the hub to the extenders via ethernet and then from the other extender to the BT TV box.  This set up video shows you how to connect everything up. 

0 Ratings
belucky22
Contributor
Message 6 of 6

Go to solution

Many thanks for the additional posts.  Your help is valued - I now know what I am doing !