cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cactusbob
Aspiring Expert
Message 11 of 17

Re: Box arrived at last

True, but why does the YouView box show ESPN but not the Sky Sports channels? My three TVs all list all three sports channels

0 Ratings
Message 12 of 17

I like the box, but find the scrolling text on the front of the machine when watching a recorded programme really irritating. Has anyone found a way to turn this off?
0 Ratings
cactusbob
Aspiring Expert
Message 13 of 17

Don't think you can. Mine's in a cabinet so it's not a problem

0 Ratings
walkerx
Recognised Expert
Message 14 of 17

@guilbo wrote:

@cactusbob wrote:

Also does anyone else have ESPN showing up in the EPG and channel list?

Do you expect it not to?

In answer to your earlier point about BBCHD's volume level being lower, my TV has the same issue when they're transmitting the preview loop (which is most of it) which is 5.1. The volume increases when they transmit the rest of it in DD Stereo/Prologic. It would seem to be a transmission thing.

You get this with SKY/Freesat HD channels as well - normal SD channels the sound is fine, but for HD you have to turn you audio equipment up and remember to turn back down for adverts or when change channel

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 15 of 17

@cactusbob wrote:
The sound level on BBC HD is very low compared to the other channels. Not sure if that's because it is downmixing a surround audio track to 2 channels for the HDMI - and not doing it very well.

It's interesting that you have the HD volume issue on the BT Youview Humax box. That answers my question from a few weeks ago. See HD Sound Question

Be assured it is not a problem with your particular box. As previously suggested it is the way the HD channels are transmitted. I have had the pleasure of this "improvement" for over two years when watching the HD channels on my Panasonic Freeview-HD TV (and that doesn't involve the use of any cables other than the aerial cable).

It isn't just the BBC-HD preview programme though. Various HD programmes on BBC and Channel 4 have the adjusted sound levels. If you swap between the SD and HD versions of the same channel you can often notice a big difference. As far as I have noticed ITV-HD has the same sound levels as ITV-SD (is this because they don't do 5.1?).

0 Ratings
cactusbob
Aspiring Expert
Message 16 of 17

It's just a bit of an annoyance. I turned the auto-volume setting on the tv on, but that seemed to introduce a bit of pop on channel change which mas more annoying. I turned that off again. My iPlayer volume is the most irritating though, the volume levels on that are all over the place. That's an iPlayer problem, the same thing happens on all my other iPlayer capable devices. It's just so loud, I had the TV volume on 2 for iPlayer whereas it would be on about 9 or 10 for broadcast channels

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 17 of 17

You would think the box could just adjust the volume down on the output when showing the iPlayer app. Doesn't sound like the most difficult of things to implement.

The sound range issues on the HD channels is not so easy to fix. It is not just a matter of changing the volume due to the increased range.

Imagine your TV volume can be adjusted from 0 - 10 and you set it 7. That means the loudest parts of the programme you are viewing will reach 7.

On BBC-SD the volume range for programme X is  5 - 7.

On BBC-HD the volume range for programme X is  2 - 7.

Because the low end of the range is so quiet you can't hear human speech in some scenes. So you up the volume on your TV to 10. Now you have.

On BBC-HD the volume range for programme X is  5 - 10.

You can now hear the speech at level 5, but the loud bits like explosions now shake the house (and the neighbours) at level 10. You can't win.

The annoyance is made worse because half the HD programmes transmitted have the same range as the SD versions. You end up constantly having to adjust the volume up and down but there is no ideal level.

0 Ratings