cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RichardW1
Beginner
Message 1 of 11

Brand New Customer-Frustrated after just 2 hours

I am a new customer, not new to IT/broadband/routers/networks etc etc.

BT Smart HUB arrived today. Plugged in connected up and then problems start.  

Admin password not accepted. [MacBook Pro OSX Sioerra 10.12.6, vanilla setup with Safari].  Router very slow to respond at all then on attempt to setup had to provide admin password.  The correct password IS entered but it is not accepted.  

I also run a virtual wiondows 7 with IE.  On this admin password IS accepted.  

Next turn on 2.4 and 5 frequencies as separate so I can rename the standard names so that my network devices can connect, I do not wish to have to rename all my devices.  Name on 2.4 can be changed. Name for 5 cannot be entered. No matter what is typed only a single character is displayed. Copy and paste from 2.4 to 5 actually enters text but it is not saved justr a single character, maybe two.  Not always the same characters saved.

I am very disapointed as this simple admin task is incrediblly basic.  It seems that if I only g=have a standard MacBook then it is not possible to login tyo the hub as admin.

Please, please, please ther must be a solution to this??????

Please dont ask me to factory reset the router/check the password as that will just irritate me. The router is brand new, started having the issues described above just as soon as the light changed to solid orange. 

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 11

Re: Brand New Customer-Frustrated after just 2 hours

did you turn smart setup off?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
RichardW1
Beginner
Message 3 of 11

Yes. But only after acceessing hub from IE.  

I have discovered a few more issues.  Google Chrome can provide an admin password as can IE. Safari cannot.

From Chrome I have discovered that changing the admin password and clicking save changes often does not actually change the password.  A factory reset with the reset button held for 20 secs did not reset the admin password, the network names yes, but not the admin password.  There is also some inconsistency with admin passwords. I have used two different admin passwords successfully within the change settings options. One was what I changed the admin password to, and clicked save changes, the other was the password I changed from.  

The latest state of affairs is that safari will not connect to the router at all.  But on the same macBook Pro Chrome will and virtual windows IE will. 

The problem with 5Ghz band network name is partly that it will not save text entered buit also that the hub insists in adding -5 as part of the name.  The -5 cannot be deleted.  This is a real pain as it means I will have to reconfigure many 5Ghz devices. I note that the 2.4Ghz band does not insist on adding -24 to the name.  

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 11

It is only the hh6 that adds the 5 the previous his did not so even though you split the networks it made no difference as the SSID was the same. No point in adding 2.4 as that is a given and only need the 5 to identify different bands

i changed password on 2 hh6 and never had any problem with it not being saved. I never bother changing SSID

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
RichardW1
Beginner
Message 5 of 11

Fair point you make about not changing the ssid and it not making any difference. I did notice that some of my devices actually connected at 5Ghz even though the 5Ghz band was not set.
I have not observed that before, probably due to my previous setup not providing as much information.
As far as I am aware the main benefit of dplityong he network is that is gives greater control over channels which can be an issue locally with other setups within WiFi area.
Previously I had to change channels to optimise performance.
0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 11

I think your post intended to say splitting but got rubbish with autocorrect. The main advantage of splitting the networks is that many devices don't like the 2.4/5ghz combined. It also lets you select channel rather than auto

0 Ratings
RichardW1
Beginner
Message 7 of 11

Sorry to have to re-open this thread but here we are again.  My BT Smart Hub again refusing to accept admin password.  Tonight its not even accepting admin password from IE.

Never mind as there is a password override feature .  .  .  .  BUT it does not work.  Press the button until blue light flashes, enter details as requested and press save. Unfortunately response is always the same.

Invalid password override section.
Please make sure that the Hub light is blinking and try again.

But the light IS blinking.

Now even I cant get the default wireless key and admin password wrong 20 times in a row.  I am left to conclude that there is yet another weakness in my BT Smart Hub.

Seems like I will have to do yet another factory reset. That is not an acceptable answer every time I need to check the router settings as I will have to reconfigure every setting I have made.

Teo questions.

1. Why does password override not work? The procedure is very simple, I dont see how I can have got it wrong.

2. Does BT have a more reliable Hub than BT Smart Hub - Type A?

Suggestions would be welcomed, other than factory reset!!!!

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 11

@RichardW1 wrote:

Suggestions would be welcomed, other than factory reset!!!!

Third party router.

0 Ratings
RichardW1
Beginner
Message 9 of 11

Well I did it.  I now have an Asus DSL-68U modem/router.  Set up pretty straight forward.  What I can now monitor easily is line quality.In a few days I have seen two periods of approximately 30 minutes where dropped packets are near 100%.  Example attached.

Dropped Packets

Called in another broadband failure tonight. 8:30pm. Dropped packets near 100%.  I was well aware of the problem, noticed while on a wired connection,  the monitor just confirms my suspicions.  Broadband help not any help at all.  Naturally had to reconnect my "BT Smart Hub" and that showed the same problem for a while.  Several reboots and service was resumed.  A dissapointing lack of understanding by help representative. Telling me that dropped packets are irrelevant and only the speed matters.  The point of my attempted report was that there was NO SPEED when I called!!!! 

Then to top it all mobie call failed when I went upstairs to check wired connection.  Happens all the time although I am supposed to be in a 4G area!!!!  Thought they might call back but they did not.

Not too impressed.

0 Ratings
RichardW1
Beginner
Message 10 of 11

In the time its taken to post last messager speedtest show a mere 14.5Mb and ping 93ms.

Then 7.47Mb 

Then ping 2394ms . . . .

0 Ratings