cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Message 1 of 33

Breathtaking incompetence from BT - ongoing email issue not even understood by BT, let alone fixed.

We've had email problems lasting several days which stops mail from being collected on Outlook (desktop), Mail (iPhone), WLM (laptop). We can access webmail on bt.com, but not any email client.

All these machines are on different connections to the internet, so we know it's not a problem at our end. The problem HAS to be at BT's mail servers - it is the only common factor. However, BT engineers persist in insisting that the problem is on Outlook (ignoring the iPhone and WLM, which failed at exactly the same time). All we want is for BT techs to reset the email account on BT's servers back to default, but they seem utterly incapable of understanding the request.

We have now endured four days of techs farting around on remote access to the desktop repeatedly resetting the Outlook account and getting the same results each time, totally ignoring the fact that the problem is not on Outlook, which can connect to other BT accounts and other ISP email accounts.  How many times do we have to tell you that the problem is on the BT mail server?

A call-back from yet another manager was promised before 3:15pm today, with a guaranteed call from Level 2 between 4pm and 6pm.  No call from the manager, no call from Level 2, so I chased them for an hour.  Finally got a call back from Level 2 after pestering the manager, who turned out to be from the wrong department.  You couldn't make it up if you tried.

We have finally extracted a phone call from Level 2 support but they are from the wrong office, so that was a complete waste of time.  Indeed, they don't even know what platform the BT email server is on, which raises questions about their competence.

How is it possible that this farce has gone on for so many days?

How is it possible to employ so many incompetent technical support staff?

How might it be possible to speak to someone - anyone - who has a brain and can deal with this before we fire BT?

0 Ratings
32 REPLIES 32
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 33

Re: Breathtaking incompetence from BT - ongoing email issue not even understood by BT, let alone fix

Have you recently been migrated from BT Yahoo! to the new BT Mail? If so you might have to amend your server settings. The correct settings are shown here.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 3 of 33

Re: Breathtaking incompetence from BT - ongoing email issue not even understood by BT, let alone fix

TrentSC,

To get help in the forum, we need more details on the nature of your email problems.

Can you answer the following questions please:

1. Are you using BT Mail or BT Yahoo Mail ?

2. What version of Outlook are you using ?

3. Are you using POP or IMAP ?

4. When you say mail is not being collected, what error messages or other symptoms are you getting ?

5. Can you send emails or is it just receiving that is the problem ?

6. What operating systems are in use on the desktop and your laptop ?

7. Do you have any other information that may be relevant ?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 4 of 33

To answer your questions...

1. BT Mail

2. Outlook 2010 with all the service packs

3. POP

4. Username/Password not recognised (or variants) across all devices

5. No

6. Desktop - Windows 7 Home Basic (32-bit); laptop - Windows 7 Ultimate (64-bit)

7. In an early call with BT (we've been on the phone with them for around 9-9 hours over the course of the weekend), they acknowledged that this was a known issue, but quickly backtracked when I asked more questions.  Further, a colleague had a similar issue soon after the move over to BT Mail and tech "reset" his account on their servers, effectively wiping the slate clean so he could start over.  All the problems went away, but the incompetents I have spoken to on this issue (and I use the term very deliberately) just refuse to do anything other than tell me to reset my Outlook account, which will have zero influece on the laptop or iPhone.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 5 of 33

I would quite simply say that Email Services as provided BT are not 'fit for purpose' - you would be better served by some of the free cloud services available from the likes of Google or Microsoft. Or to set up your own domain and use it's mail server (this has the added advantage that if you choose to change ISP then you can still keep your email and ofc any personal stationary you may have had printed).

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 6 of 33

@blinkinlight wrote:

I would quite simply say that Email Services as provided BT are not 'fit for purpose' - you would be better served by some of the free cloud services available from the likes of Google or Microsoft. Or to set up your own domain and use it's mail server (this has the added advantage that if you choose to change ISP then you can still keep your email and ofc any personal stationary you may have had printed).

It depends on how much you expect from a residential-grade service.  I've been using BT mail in one form or other since 2001.  It generally works.

Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 33

I have also had a BT email address since the days of dial up (20+ years).  I use multiple devices with a mixture of IMAP and POP and occasionally webmail and I have used it in various countries and I have had no problems so I can not agree that "Email Services as provided BT are not 'fit for purpose' .

I would however agree that the Customer Service and Technical Support staff could do better in assisting customers who do have a problem. The first line support seem to lack the ability to listen to the customer and diagnose problems without going through their flow chart and in particular when they have been told information that does not fit into the flow chart. 

Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 33

@Ectophile wrote:

It depends on how much you expect from a residential-grade service.  I've been using BT mail in one form or other since 2001.  It generally works.

Yep, can't remember when BTinternet started but I have had my email address since pretty well day 1 without anything other than very minor outages (touches wood very quickly). But then I've never used anything other than Outlook or Outlook Express to collect mail on my main PC.

Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 9 of 33

Unsurprisingly, I'll also declare my membership of the fan club. I've been with BT since free dial-up died and have had a btinternet email address ever since the BBC closed down beeb.net. While I've had my share of issues with them generally, the email service has performed virtually fault-free right through the Yahoo! era and more recently to BT Mail. I've always used an email client, Outlook Express then Thunderbird, and only visit webmail in limited circumstances.

Is it good luck or good choices?

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 10 of 33

@TrentSC wrote:

To answer your questions...

1. BT Mail

2. Outlook 2010 with all the service packs

3. POP

4. Username/Password not recognised (or variants) across all devices

5. No

6. Desktop - Windows 7 Home Basic (32-bit); laptop - Windows 7 Ultimate (64-bit)

7. In an early call with BT (we've been on the phone with them for around 9-9 hours over the course of the weekend), they acknowledged that this was a known issue, but quickly backtracked when I asked more questions.  Further, a colleague had a similar issue soon after the move over to BT Mail and tech "reset" his account on their servers, effectively wiping the slate clean so he could start over.  All the problems went away, but the incompetents I have spoken to on this issue (and I use the term very deliberately) just refuse to do anything other than tell me to reset my Outlook account, which will have zero influece on the laptop or iPhone.

Thank you for the update and apologies for not getting back to you sooner.

A few points:

A) Since the transfer to BT Mail has this account ever worked with Outlook ?

B) Re the answer to question 4 above.  This can occur when a correct username/password is used.

Failures to connect to an account are flagged as this when the system has not been  able to determine the real cause of the failure.

If the attempt to connect has failed due to a timeout for example.  Often the reason for the timeout is unknown eg  internet slow, account in use by another device etc.

It would help if you could give the exact Outlook  and WLM failures with personal bits XXX out.

C) As a diagnostic test you could try temporarily disabling the account  on your phone and laptop.

Login and logout of webmail and then try Outlook again.