cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 21 of 33

Re: Breathtaking incompetence from BT - ongoing email issue not even understood by BT, let alone fix

BT don't "support" the use of email clients. The reason for that is that an email client is nothing to do with them and BT has no control over how it works. BT can also not possibly know the ins and outs of every email client that is available so could not train their staff how to diagnose problems with them

BT supply email by webmail via a web browser, so as far as they are concerned if your email works on webmail then it is working. That is why they don't recommend an email client.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 22 of 33

Re: Breathtaking incompetence from BT - ongoing email issue not even understood by BT, let alone fix

Any standard class email service should support the use of standard class email clients like Aople Mail or Outlook, Thunderbird, etc.   To say otherwise is ridiculous.  This is the modern world and most people are not able to use emails with the functionality limitations of webmail servers. 

Also archiving emails is important to many users.  To have this type of limitation on their email service would put BT at a major disadvantage needlessly because every other email service offers compatibility within the major email clients in use.

And the problem is that their tech support person was wrong to say such a thing to me..  In case, you haven't figured out what the actual problem is, I'll spell it out for you, just like all the previous posts here in this thread and many others.

BT emails will not come into my email client without me first having to go to yahoo.com and log into the webmail server.  Once I've done that, my email client can receive and send until it somehow decides not to because of a BT problem with their servers, at irregular intervals and requires me to go yet again back to yahoo.com and login once more.

If I didn't log into yahoo.com, and instead would log into BT webmail, I'm asked to change my password.  Sometimes 5 times a day.  It is easier just to log into yahoo.com.  Everyone has had to adapt to that as the work-around because they can't bear having to change their passwords.

Three months of this and I'm ready to climb the walls.

Capice?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 23 of 33

@Karen09 wrote:

Any standard class email service should support the use of standard class email clients like Aople Mail or Outlook, Thunderbird, etc.   To say otherwise is ridiculous.  This is the modern world and most people are not able to use emails with the functionality limitations of webmail servers. You seem to be confusing the "use" of email clients and the "support" of email clients. BT do not stop you using an email client, they even supply you all the settings etc that you require in order to use it. What they do not do, and I suspect all other ISPs are similar in this, they do not offer technical advice or "support" for the multitude of email clients that there are on the market.

Also archiving emails is important to many users.  To have this type of limitation on their email service would put BT at a major disadvantage needlessly because every other email service offers compatibility within the major email clients in use. Same answer as above.

And the problem is that their tech support person was wrong to say such a thing to me..Why was he wrong to say what BT's position is?  In case, you haven't figured out what the actual problem is, I'll spell it out for you, just like all the previous posts here in this thread and many others. 

BT emails will not come into my email client without me first having to go to yahoo.com and log into the webmail server.  Once I've done that, my email client can receive and send until it somehow decides not to because of a BT problem with their servers, at irregular intervals and requires me to go yet again back to yahoo.com and login once more.

If I didn't log into yahoo.com, and instead would log into BT webmail, I'm asked to change my password.  Sometimes 5 times a day.  It is easier just to log into yahoo.com.  Everyone has had to adapt to that as the work-around because they can't bear having to change their passwords.

Capice?

I am well aware of what the problem is so there is no need for sarcasim. If I or others knew how to solve the problem I  am pretty sure that an answer would have been posted by now. Capice!

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 24 of 33

Well, if you knew what the problem was, why were you asking me to detail it?

And if you want to split hairs over "support" and Support.. fine.. what's your point?

Most people need to use email clients for serious email use and archival. 

Dealing with this attitude you have projected into this thread is not helpful after having struggled for so long with this problem.  Capice?? !

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 25 of 33

@Karen09 wrote:

Any standard class email service should support the use of standard class email clients like Aople Mail or Outlook, Thunderbird, etc.   To say otherwise is ridiculous.  This is the modern world and most people are not able to use emails with the functionality limitations of webmail servers.

As gg has already said, it is nothing to do with the ability to use a mail client, it is that BT are not able to give any advice. I personally use Claws mail on a Linux machine, I wouldn't expect anybody from BT to be familiar with it's workings though.

Also archiving emails is important to many users.  To have this type of limitation on their email service would put BT at a major disadvantage needlessly because every other email service offers compatibility within the major email clients in use.

Again you are confusing support for ability to use a client.

And the problem is that their tech support person was wrong to say such a thing to me..  In case, you haven't figured out what the actual problem is, I'll spell it out for you, just like all the previous posts here in this thread and many others.

Capice?

I understand that some users have problems with the mail system, however, it is not universal. I exclusively use mail clients, MS Outlook, Claws Mail and the native Android mail app and can honestly say I have never experienced the problems personally. The only problem I have experienced is occasionally Outlook throws up a password dialogue box and doesn't login to the server, hitting F9 a few times reolves the problem. Hopefully once the mail system has migrated things will improve.

Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 26 of 33

@Karen09 wrote:

Well, if you knew what the problem was, why were you asking me to detail it? I never asked you at any time to detail what the problem was.

And if you want to split hairs over "support" and Support.. fine.. what's your point? That is the whole point why BT are not helping you with getting an email client to work!

Most people need to use email clients for serious email use and archival. I fully agree, I was only pointing out why BT don't help with email clients!

Dealing with this attitude you have projected into this thread is not helpful after having struggled for so long with this problem.  Capice?? I would suggest that you take a look at your own attitude CAPICE.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 27 of 33

Look, this is a serious issue.  Obviously, it is not a universal problem.  And I'm very pleased you are using a linux email client without problems.  And as far as confusing support for the configurations standard in any email client and offering settings parameters, who offers email service without such settings being published for the various clients in common use?

And what are you trying to tell me? I've been a computer consultant for 20 years now and I've cut my teeth on email problems and configuations way before many of you knew how to type an email address. 

This is a stupid serious server side problem and someone should be capable of over-seeing it sufficiently to end this madness that has been going on far too long for some of us unlucky enough to be plagued with it. 

Just saying...

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 28 of 33

We all agree with you, but as this is a customer to customer forum we are powerless to influence any action as much as people have tried. It is probably one of the reasons BT is ditching Yahoo as their mail provider.

PS I've been playing with computers for 30 years, so I can just about type an email address

Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 29 of 33

Just to be very clear here.  The tech support guy was telling me that BT didn't advise the use of email clients anymore because of this issue.  It wasn't that he couldn't or wouldn't or didn't know how to help me configure it, and I didn't need that help obviously and it wasn't what he was describing.  He was actually telling me that BT was advising against the use of email clients now.  And of course I went ballistic on him because that is not the answer to the problem they are having.  They need to fix the problem and not expect us to give up the use of our email clients in the meantime.  This is what I was saying earlier and this is what he was telling me.  I hope this explaination clears up the "support" issue.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 30 of 33

You can't imagine what I've been through on this.  I even had one of the tier 2 guys remoted into my pc and I took over and brought him into this site and showed him 3 threads on this issue.  One of the threads was 6 pages long at the time.

Where do they get these guys?  It was like I was talking to someone in Burma living on cloud coo-coo land.. His response to me was that even though I was showing him the complaints of everyone having exactly these same troubles, that he couldn't be sure they were all related..

Needless to say, I escallated that call to a supervisor eventually, you can only take so much.

Supervisor of tier 2 of course, took charge and promised it would be fixed.. 1 month ago..

0 Ratings