I recently moved into a new place and got BT infinity all set-up. Since we got it installed two weeks ago I've been keeping an eye on the speeds through my phone and PC.
Speedtest has never fallen below 60mb - we pay for the bigger package, but you're not always going to get perfect speeds - fantastic.
Until today! I cannot get over 45mb on either device and it's slowly getting slower and slower. Not to mention every time I've tried to reset the hub or do anything so far as touch it and it gets funny and starts flashing orange (problems I know).
Is there something a miss here? Why was I getting great speed and now today it's slipping?!
I take it back!
couple of hours later and it's dropped back down to 38mb. BT speed is telling me it should be near 57mb. But I seriously doubt that right now.
I don't understand how even in evenings (during 'peak' times) we've been getting 60mb across the board for two weeks and now its gone to nearly half that.
What the absolutely heck is going on and how the hell do I sort it out? Spent too much of the last day sorting this..
can you run btspeedtester and when first test completes then run diagnostic test and post results should be done with wired connection
Sorry for the delay - getting cables long enough was a bit of a pain.
So done the test with cable with the btspeedtester and this is what I'm getting:
1. Best Effort Test:
Download Speed : 70.18 Mbps
2. Upstream Test:
Upload Speed : 14.2 Mbps
Your speed test has completed and the results are shown above, however during the test an error occurred while trying to retrieve additional details regarding your service. As a result we are unable to determine if the speed you received during the test is acceptable for your service. Please re-run the test if you require this additional information.
I keep getting 500 errors and such, so I'm not sure if this is 100% what you're after. Everything is cabled in and I've set my home phone to run further diagnostics..
Speedtest has shown that I'm getting about 30-40mb (I sit about 3 meters away from the hub) and my housemate gets 12mb at most from another room.
Well no of course.
But that doesn't mean it's fixed! If this was the wireless speed I was getting as of when it went in - fine, I would have been ok with that.
But to go from 60+ mb every day to suddenly dropping 50% on Friday - something doesn't add up. I would like to know why, hence posting.
Any one interested there is a little program called NetMeterEvo that will measure Throughput speed through your Nic adaptor
Just search for it in your search engine, it's very small and does not require install...