cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 10

Bristol cabinet upgrade

Hi,

I live in Bristol and currently have a BT landline but can only receive ADSL, i.e. not even ADSL2. I don't think I'm in a fibre optic area (nor Virgin cable).

Who can I contact at BT, or which BT service/schedule can I use, that will be able to advise if and when there are any explicit plans to upgrade the local cabinet to accept ADSL2, please?

I moved house a few months ago from another part of Bristol, only 1 mile away, where I could receive top-speed broadband. Now I'm limited to around 7Mb (on a good day), which is effectively a major downgrade. Enabling ADSL2 would certainly improve things, not just for me but no doubt the entire street/area.

I can't understand why things are so slow here - we live in Bristol proper, not in an outlying/nearby town or village.

Any help would be appreciated. 🙂

Cheers,

Andy.

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 10

Re: Bristol cabinet upgrade

enter your phone number  https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/main.html

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 10

Thanks for that.

Here is a screengrab of the results. Not exactly sure how to interpret it. 🙂

phone.jpg

Does 'FTTC' mean that fibre optic is actually available here?

Many thanks,

Andy.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 10

it is an exchange upgrade for ADSL2+ and a cabinet upgrade for fibre your exchange may be ADSL2+ enabled but you are just to far from your exchange to get a faster speed than you are now use the link imjolly has posted and post back the result we can then help you further
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 10

youe exchange is adsl2 enabled but more importantly fibre is available as well FTTC - so you could order infinity

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 10

Ah, thanks John. Didn't know the ADSL2 related to the exchange and the fibre optic relates to the cabinet. In this case then I assume it's the exchange I was initially interested in, but if I'm too far then I'll pursue the fibre optic option.

As I say, I thought that I was out of range for optic, but the results from the test may show otherwise.. 🙂
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 10

it's distance from cabinet for fibre and with potential 63mb fibre you are not that far from your cabinet

Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 10

Thanks imjolly. I think that settles it then - I'm probably too far for effective ADSL2, but the fibre optic is worth following up.

Very grateful! 🙂
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 10

if you are going to upgrade then try the options team and negotiate a deal 

options team 0800 800 030

Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 10

with ADSL2+ you are likely to get a maximum of 3mb with fibre 63mb no comparison