cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MarkDawes
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 20

Broad Band Connection drops every so often!

Hi,

We have had BT Broadband for a while now, we started off with the old white BT HomeHub, it was working fine for a while until it then started disconnecting from the internet, it would do this at random intervels and would sometimes take hours to re-connect again. We rang BT and after much discussion they agreed to give us a new BT HomeHub version 2. This worked again fine for a few weeks, but it to continued to be a pain with disconnecting internet and broad band lights appearing off and flashing orange or staying orange. This is rather annoying as im at college and need the internet alot. That and i play on my Xbox rather alot online, and with internet that is disconnecting all the time, it is very frustrating.

After this i phoned BT again last week, who then said there was no problems and did a few tests again revealing nothing, it was left with the support team to run some tests who rang back the next day. In the 12 hours that the guys had i assume been doing the tests the internet worked fantastically, but as soon as they rang me back to say there was nothing wrong, the internet started going off and on straight after the phone had been put down. I rang BT again this Monday and they said that there was a problem with the BT Homehub that i had, and that a new Version 3 HomeHub would be sent out to me.

The man on the phone assured me saying that it would give flawless internet and would not disconnect. I have had the new Hub for about 3 days now, granted on the first day disconnection is plausable due to a new installment etc. But after the 24hr period the connection drops again all the time. It just drops then flashes orange, then the orange/purple before returning to a stable Blue. It is incredibly frustrating, ive rang, ive done the Internet Help on the BT Help sections and have tried everything, it doesnt do anything?! 

Why are we paying for internet that doesnt always be stable? It cant be relied on at all. I dont have a computer but we have 3 laptops in the house, all connected to this HomeHub, and including my HTC Desire HD (Android) Phone which is also connected. 

I wish to know why it keeps doing this, and what can i seriously do about it? Its not connected to the main phone line which is in my Kitchen and it is simply not a option to move the Hub downstairs as we have BT Vision and one of the ADSL needs the Hub. Please Help the frustration is awful!

0 Ratings
19 REPLIES 19
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 20

Re: Broad Band Connection drops every so often!

Hi

Sounds like you have had problems for some time now.

There are a number of things that could cause it.

1. A line fault

2. A faulty filter or a phone without a filter connected.

3. Faulty wiring in your premises.

I know you said that it is a pain moving the hub to the test socket but really this is the only option. You need to prove the fault either in or out of you premises, you may have to only leave it there for 24hrs.

(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
0 Ratings
MarkDawes
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 20

Hi,

Basicly, my Hub is connected via a Extension cable from the main phoneline, our main phone line or what i assume is a main phone line is a small white box in the kitchen that is below the phone in this socket i have placed a ADSL filter which is connected to the phone, upstairs we have two extension cables, one with just a ADSL filter and no phone, and the other with a ADSL filter, a phone and the BT HomeHub wires. 

Is it best to have the HomeHub connected to what i think is the Main Phone Line? This is like i said the difficult thing to place, but is it best to do that? 

Also is that even the main phone line? Haha sorry im not very telephone-ly smart? 

Also you said only leave it for 24hrs? So if i moved the whole hub, everything downstairs and connect it to the main phone line, would it be possible to have it there for a little while but not permanately and move it back upstairs into the extension connection?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 20

Sounds like you have identified your main socket, does it look like this?

NTE5_BT_front.jpg

If it does, by undoing the 2 screws and gently removing the bottom half of the socket.

If you look inside the part of the socket left on the wall you will see another telephone socket just inside on the right hand side.

This is where you need to plug the HH via (if possible) a new filter. As a temporary measure you can plug your phone as well into the filter.

Can I suggest you leave it for a while, I am sure you will tell if the problem re-occurs.

If it does occur with this setup it looks to be a fault on the line coming from the telephone exchange, if it does not occur here there is something in your premises causing the BB to cut out.

This can be solved by a process of elimination by plugging each item in your house one at a time.

If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
0 Ratings
MarkDawes
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 20

Sorry No thats not what it looks like, its a one i think, its about 3.5x7.5cm2 white box with no screws, thats the only box we have in the house, the rest are 2 extension cables. The only thing it has is a telephone connection port nothing else. So i dont know 😕 

I can i assume leave it in there if that is the main phone line, but i have an old Xbox 360 a black elite and i need it as im a semi pro gamer who has a high need for the console. As i dont have a wireless adapter for the xbox to connect wirelessly its currently connected via a ethernet set up to the HomeHob which is about 2 ft away from the console. You can see my problem with the hub being downstairs now. 😕

Its just the white box, i know for sure we dont have a box like that below 😕

0 Ratings
chris6273
Recognised Expert
Message 6 of 20

Hi MarkDawes,

It is always best to have your Homehub/Modem plugged straight into the 'Master Socket' or 'Line Jack'. The socket which you describe sounds like a 'Line Jack' (An older socket installed by British Telecom/General Post Office pre-1990s).

Please could you plug your homehub into the socket in your kitchen and post the stats by following the instructions here: http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/frogstats.php

This will let us calculate roughly how fast you can go 😉

Thanks

Like this post? Give it a Star :D. If this post answers your question, please Mark it as the Accepted Solution.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 7 of 20

You must have a telephone socket somewhere in the house, i know you say they are extension cables but what do they plug in to?

I guess you prob have a phone socket like this? Which is the size of a single electric socket

LJU3_3C_front.jpg

or this? which sticks out proud of the wall and is around 2 inches square.

VJU2_3A_front_small.jpg

0 Ratings
MarkDawes
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 20

Okay i will do, ill have to do it later though as ive got GB Taekwondo until around 10 tonight, training for a China Tour you see. Ive just spoken to my mother and she said when we moved into this house, the previous owners must of used it for a Fax machine or something related to that? 

But again its just the inconvienience of the area where this hub will be 😕 Ill do it deffinatly, but since ive started this forum it has disconnected 3xs and reconnected straight away. Will plugging it into the main socket or 'Line Jack' cure it from disconnection?

0 Ratings
chris6273
Recognised Expert
Message 9 of 20

The extension cables you are using at the moment are the probable cause for the disconnections.

If you plug it into that socket directly (After a Microfilter) it should help your connection.

Like this post? Give it a Star :D. If this post answers your question, please Mark it as the Accepted Solution.
0 Ratings
MarkDawes
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 20

They are as ive just heard from my Mother all connected to this 'Line Jack' in my kitchen, we do have those phone sockets but they are all disconnected permanetly, i know its a stupid thing but it was by my father who is frankly a muppet Haha. Urrm yeah we have 2 extensions which go into this old socket. 

0 Ratings