Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Loumar
Beginner
Message 1 of 13

Broadband ADSL2 upgrade

Hi all,

I recently recontracted to BT for a year, i noticed that ADSL2 was now available in our exchange so I asked to be upgraded as part of the deal.  The activation day has now passed (admittedly by only 1 day), and nothing seems to have changed and the job is still active.  Just wondering if this is normal and if other people have seen it, could it just be done in the next few days?

wouldnt be that bothered, but I normally get around 6.5mbs speed, I rebooted my router a couple of times in quick succession foolishly around 2 weeks ago and now have a 2mbps profile which has stuck since.

it's my understanding that adsl2 should do away with this profile, so if I contact BT should I just be concerned with getting the line upgraded if it doesnt happen rather than sorting the profile which could be very short term?

Thanks.

0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 13

Re: Broadband ADSL2 upgrade

It could be months before you are actually upgraded, sometimes re-contracting will speed the process up, but as you have done that, you will have to just wait until your turn comes.

ADSL2+ has banded profiles, so you will still get the drop in speed if you do a lot of restarts.

What are your current ADSL Statistics

0 Ratings
Loumar
Beginner
Message 3 of 13

H Keith,

Am on adsl max at the mo, as our exchange has been upgraded to 21cn asked to be put onto adsl2.  An order was placed during recontracting and I had an activation date of yesterday for the switch.

as I say my adsl max has been fine, normally around 6.5mbs and it seems to have incorectly profiled itself since I restarted the router twice in quick succession.  Bt speed test shows I have a 2mbps profile.

im not using a home hub, but my stats are:

Downstream rate 8128

upstream rate 448

Downstream margin 12db

Up stream margin 22db

Downstream line atten 19db

upstream line attenuation 12db

kept the router connected and no disconnects as far as I know.  Been stuck for 2 weeks now.

thanks for your help.

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 13

Lines are upgraded in blocks, usually overnight, so you may have to wait a week or so for your line to be moved.

0 Ratings
pottyperson
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 5 of 13

Keith. The OP seems to be saying that upgrading to ADSL2 was part of their new contract; doesn't that effectively jump the queue? Either way, surely they shouldn't be stuck on a 2Mps profile. Is it possible they've been upgraded already without the profile getting unstuck?

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 13

Its difficult to say, as they are not using a BT home hub, but the speeds of 8128/448 would indicate a normal ADSL max connection.

The migration process is a physical re-jumpering of the circuit in the exchange, and if there are issues with local exchange records, that can delay the process. It also depends on how many technicians are involved in the migration work, especially with the current backlog of faults and installation work.

A stuck IP profile on ADSL max, often clears on its own, provided the line is left alone.

Loumar
Beginner
Message 7 of 13

Hi, yes that's correct, and that's what I was lead to believe when I reconttracted.

the router is on multimode and still connecting on GDMT so I dont think the upgrade has been done.  As I say the order is still stated as being in progress.

i think the 2mbs profile Is purely my fault for restarting the router twice in a short time.  Can live with that speed as long as the upgrade isn't too long.  Just wondered if it was common for these regrade activation jobs to not be activated on the date stated. I believe the profile will be completely regenerated when the line is moved to the 88% system?

thanks.

0 Ratings
pottyperson
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 8 of 13

Probably best to leave it then, until you get really fed up!

You could well be right about the disconnections causing the stuck profile. It happened to me (on ADSL2) when some unrelated electrical work resulted in just two disconnections in quick succession, and I had to get it manually reset. Moral: turn the router off before any electrical work is carried out!

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 13

The regrades are done in batches, usually overnight. If there are outstanding faults caused by a regrade, then work is usually delayed until the issue is sorted, to prevent any more disruption.

There are a number of things that can go wrong, as its a complex, multi-stage process. Things like incorrect exchange records, faulty equipment, or mis-configuration, can cause delays.

Loumar
Beginner
Message 10 of 13

Thanks, will give it till next week sometime and perhaps contact a mod, it might just take a few days to be migrated.

At least I have a usable connection, and there are plenty of people who would welcome 2mbps!

0 Ratings