cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Distinguished Guru
Message 1 of 5

Broadband Checker says 1mb

Go to solution

Today my telephone line went back to BT after being with SKy LLU. I was getting just over 5MB due to distance from the exchange.

Now before I try and getBroadbanmd with BT, I tried the checker and it says that my line might get 1MB, Why, when for the last 5 years with BT, then with SKY LLU I was getting 5MB

toekneem

(EASBF)

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 5

Re: Broadband Checker says 1mb

Go to solution

if you can get your modulation and attenuation from your existing router then this will show expected speed
http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/max_speed_calc.php

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 3 of 5

Go to solution

At the moment there is no broadband to get any router figures from.

Like I said it was with SKY LLU (BT before that) and was getting 5mb all the time.

Brought line back to BT and was gonna leave the broadband with SKY for time being, but they cancelled it all on the transfer of the line, even after a email from them saying that if the line went back to BT, I could still retain the broadband for an extra monthly payment.

The line is back with BT(24hrs), but when I check on expected speed for broadband  it says that the Max I could get would be 1mb.

Why when for 5 years both with BT and then with Sky I have been getting 5mb

toekneem

(EASBF)

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 5

Go to solution

The SKY broadband you had was LLU which is different from BT but if you had 5mb with BT before moving to SKY then that is a good guide.. The checker is an estimate and is more likely to err on side of caution.  Maybe asking a neighbour about speed or even thier attenuation (may not be exactly same as yours) but a good guide

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 5 of 5

Go to solution

It must have been the fact that the line had been taken over by BT only 24 hrs before, it now shows:

BT Total Broadband  Faster BT Total BroadbandYou can get fast and reliable broadband with speeds of up to 20Mb.

Between 5.5Mb and 15.0Mb
(Estimated speed: 8.0Mb)

Broadband just ordered via Chat because of tech problems.

toekneem

(EASBF)

0 Ratings