cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 23

Broadband Connection Slowed From Normal.

Well what a suprise, another bt customer complaining about BB speeds slower than carrier pigeon.

Basically before hand, a few months now, I was enjoying speeds of 600kpbs, not fast and nowhere near what i'm paying for, but I've just returned home after a long stay in Australia, so the speed was mindblowing. Now I'm lucky to be getting 24kbps. I've had a chat with the Indian call centre, and as seems to be the case they have been of very little help. We went through the usual dance, turned it on and off, connected via ethernet, ran the connection through the test port, made sure its the main connection. He then apparently contacted the engineers at the exchange.

From what I can tell they've reset the connection and IP profile, and am going through the stablilzation period that happened at the start of my connection. However even then I was getting better speeds than I currently am. Is it worth waiting for the 10 days, or is it more likely I have a more serious problem? Proceeding to dump statistics.

ADSL Line Status
Connection Information
Line state:Connected
Connection time:0 days, 13:13:15
Downstream:6.344 Mbps
Upstream:448 Kbps

ADSL Settings
VPI/VCI:0/38
Type:PPPoA
Modulation:G.992.1 Annex A
Latency type:Interleaved
Noise margin (Down/Up):13.5 dB / 31.0 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up):12.2 dB / 5.5 dB
Output power (Down/Up):17.9 dBm / 12.5 dBm
FEC Events (Down/Up):59762649 / 25
CRC Events (Down/Up):2648 / 22
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote):0 / 0
HEC Events (Down/Up):5262 / 25
Error Seconds (Local/Remote):6023 / 227

FAQ

Results Image not loaded

Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test: -provides background information.

Download  Speed
 96 Kbps

0 Kbps250 Kbps
Max Achievable Speed

Download speedachieved during the test was - 96 Kbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 50-250 Kbps.
 Additional Information:
 Your DSL Connection Rate :6496 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
 IP Profile for your line is - 135 Kbps

If you wish to discuss these results please contact your ISP.

If you are experiencing problems with specific applications, servers or websites please contact your ISP for assistance.

Your test has completed please close this window to exit the performance tester.

As usual, I'm a frustrated customer wanting to complain but afraid of annoying the only people who can help me. Help me obi wan kenobi your my only hope!

0 Ratings
22 REPLIES 22
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 23

Re: Broadband Connection Slowed From Normal.

Hi your ip profile is at rock bottom 135k you need to leave your hub powered up and connected with no restarts for 3/5 days to allow your profile to rise
0 Ratings
Expert
Message 3 of 23

You have an attenuation of 12.2 which basically means you live next-door to the exchange and should be getting the full speed of ADSL max which is 8mbps, you have a very high noise margin at 13.5 (normal is around 6) which is the reason why your not currently getting 8mbps. As your line has experienced a lot of instability the exchange has limited your through put to rock bottom. Are these the results from the test port? If you leave your router connected for around 3-5 days and there is no more instability then your speed should rise back to 8mbps and the exchange should change your profile. Your current connection time is 13 hours so it looks pretty stable if you just leave it in the setup it was in when you posted these stats then it should sort itself out in a few days, have you any idea why it had the instability?

0 Ratings
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 23

I would imagine that disconecting the hub would cause instablity? I was told to disconnect it and plug it into the test socket, I've since moved it back. The problem I have, or at least why I'm worried is that the connection dropped off the face of the Earth with very little warning, and from no provocation from myself. I've no idea why it happened which means that it if I did something wrong I could easily do it again. Could you explain what a noise margin is? I've tried phoning the 'quiet line' but I'm not quite sure why I did so. There was crackling, but I assumed its because I'm using a wireless handset.

Tags (1)
0 Ratings
Expert
Message 5 of 23

More likely its your extension, have you had problems before? The wiring to the master socket it generally much higher quality than the extensions in the house which is generally what causes these problems, noise margin is how much your attenuation is allowed to alter i.e. You have an attenuation of 12.2 which is caused by your distance from the exchange (the lower the better) the noise margin it how much you attenuation is fluctuating, it needs to be low to make a good connection but also high enough to allow for a little instability (noise) which is why it is usually around 6. The main cause of problems is home extensions so if you continue to experience them then you will need to modify your home extension or disconnect it completely. Disconnections can cause the noise margin to rise as the exchange is allowing you a bigger error margin to try to solve the problem, but its what caused the problems in the first place that is important

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 23

with your attenuation of 12.2 showing you are in close proximity to the exchange I don't think you will get your noise margin down as low as 6 (normal for most) and yours will probably be 9 or even slightly higher.  This is termed margin in hand and will be of great assistance when your conenction is upgraded to 21CN adsl2/2+

I agree with seab20 that connecting to the test socket is the best connection and will give you the 8mb you are expecting.  If that is not convenient to lleave it there then you should consider removing the orange bellwire from terminal 3 in the master and all extension socket as it can act like an aerial for noise.  see here
http://www.jarviser.co.uk/jarviser/bellwirenutshell.html

in addition to seab20 explanation you can read more about noise here http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/linestats.htm

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 23

I apologise in advance because I fear I'm being thick, but I'm a little confused as to what extension your refering to. In my set up I have plugged into the main bt socket an extension that allows two phone cables, and also has my Sky+ box in it. I have my adsl filter plugged into this extension, and then the cable from my phone and my hub plugged into this as well. Perhaps you can see my confusion? Sorry for being thick but could you verify for me?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 23

so you do not have any extension sockets in the rest of your home - sorry about confusion just the use of the word 'extension'.  normally the wiring would be master socket then filter to which is connected you modem/router cable and any phone of phone extension cable.  this would reduce any noise/interference from the extension cable being passed on to the router

there is obviously someting causing enough noise on your line to stop you getting full connection speed

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 23

So you feel that noise is the issue, and not the ip profile ( or rather that the noise is the central issue which has caused the ip profile to be lowered?) What might be causing the noise and is it something I can fix? I'm somewhat confused because I can't think of anything specific that I have plugged in or placed near the wires that might have caused this sudden disturbance.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 23

I think there is noise on your connection which resulted in disconnections/resets by the router and these have resulted in the drop of your profile to rock bottom.

If it was my connection then I would have the filter in the master socket and then the router rj11 cable from the filter to the router that way eliminating an noise problems from the extension cable.  te phone extension would then be connected to the other outlet on the filter.

do you have any extension sockets in other rooms?  if not then master socket is ok but if there are other extension sockets then the test socket would be best

0 Ratings