cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Message 1 of 6

Broadband @ Cullompton Devon

I am A Cullompton Local and according to various Broadband suppliers and related info sites, the Local Cullompton Exchange is yet to be upgraded/enabled to allow more providers, and although Cullompton sits fairly close to Exeter (A Major City) it seems BT have chosen not to give much priority to getting the Cullompton Exchange upgraded.  There are a lot of Wealthy Home owners who live in and around this area who naturally would benefit from an upgrade/faster speed, and goes without saying would be genuine bill payers to help keep BT in Business!  I rely on a fast connection as internet plays a big part in my day to day business. This upgrade is long over due, and it seemd totally unfair that someone has to settle for 1mbps ADSL1 speed, and Joe Bloggs in say Exeter is able to receive Fibre Optic speed, and for a less price!  Also, I dont see how ADSL internet providers can charge the same price, for each and every 1 of us when the speeds differ so much from house to house.  There is soo much TV advertising for fibre optic services unyet the majority of the country cant seem to benefit from this?  Maybe cut back on this advertising, in order to pay for more engineers to get out there and lay more cables!  Also, in my opinion, nobody should of got the faster connections until at least 90% of the UK population were able to benefit from it. As it is unfair for someone in Cullompton getting 1mbps and say someone in Swansea getting 24mbps! 

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
pauljoecoe
Aspiring Contributor
Message 2 of 6

Re: Broadband @ Cullompton Devon

We live in Milton Keynes -a large, modern town with lots of new buildings/infrstructure and HQ's to many multi national companies - and we're lucky if we can get 1MB!

0 Ratings
IanC
Recognised Expert
Message 3 of 6

@devontechguychris wrote:

I am A Cullompton Local and according to various Broadband suppliers and related info sites, the Local Cullompton Exchange is yet to be upgraded/enabled to allow more providers, and although Cullompton sits fairly close to Exeter (A Major City) it seems BT have chosen not to give much priority to getting the Cullompton Exchange upgraded. 

This seems to be a common myth put about by OLOs who don't have a LLU presence - blame BT for not "upgrading" the exchange !

Truth is, there is no upgrading needed to allow LLU operators. They just need a desire to install their equipment. There's nothing BT need do to allow that to happen, and nothing that BT can do to prevent it happening (except in extreme and rare cases - eg no physical space within the exchange building, etc)

In fact, your local exchange already has a LLU presence from Talktalk/Carphone Warehouse.

http://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange/WWCULL.

To be honest, with a current speed af 1Mbps, a move to ADSL2+/21CN probably wouldn't result in any appreciable increase in speed.

Message 4 of 6

@IanC
I totally agree with you and Bt & Talk Talk dominate the supplies for the exchange, and being so rural the speed is under 1mb. Chances are even in May 2012 when apparently it is going to be ADSL2+ enabled I doubt being almost 4 miles away is going to be much better for me! I could get just as fast speeds and faster with 3 mobile broadband 🙂
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 6

Just dont seem fair! Fingers crossed Speeds will improve once less money is spent on Mass Marketing Advert Campaigns 🙂
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 6

Speeds will not increase with a reduction ofadvertisinng it is the laws of phyisiccsthat control your speed eg line length line attenuation line quality your only chance of a substantial speed increase is as and when fibre services are made available there areschemesacross the south west to providethe service by alternative funding worth checking with your local authority
0 Ratings