Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Darkelf720
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 12

Broadband Cutting Out - Again

Good morning,

Could someone give me a hand please?  Over the last couple of months my broadband has gone from ok to virtually unusable.  Cuts out when it wants and the service checker states everything is fine in my area.

I live in a new build house which has a BT box right at the front door.

I had a problem where my phone was cutting my broadband off when I connected.  I phoned BT and they agreed there was a fault on the line.  An engineer came out and couldn't find any faults.  The broadband was ok after this for a day, then the fault appeared again.  I then bought a new ADSL Filter and plugged that into the master socket, moved the phone to there and it's worked ok from that.

Last weekend (15/06/13) my Broadband was a bit hit and miss occasional cut outs but nothing to make my blood boil.  This weekend however it's awful, as of 22:00 Hrs yesterday (22/0713) the broadband cut out.  Came on this morning and then is now cutting out again, it's been on and off more times than Christmas tree lights.

I have reset my modem so that at this point it's been off MORE than on which is pathetic.

As I am typing this the ADSL light is flashing Orange on my modem.

I have been through your help files and videos and, yes they are very helpful, however I really need to find out what the problem is. 

OK PC :  I have the Modem connected via an Ethernet Cable approx 2M away from modem.  This is a new PC and as the light flashes Orange it's an ADSL Connection Error.

My connection speed has been reduced too, it used to be 7-8mb now it's 6.5mb maximum and that, according to the BT Speed Check is from the exchange end.  My end is about 6MB.

I have Unlimited Broadband because I stream films from Loveflim / NowTV and am a Gamer.  As you can appreciate these 3 categories require a stable connection and the odd blip is ok, but a tenuous service is useless.

Can I ask then, PLEASE can someone check my region Amesbury, Wiltshire SP4 postcode and give an honest update.

What do I need to do to have my telephone points checked? 

Sorry for the moan but as you can appreciate I really am at the end of my tether.

PS

Your 150 service was better before and is now probably the most frustrating annoying thing ever.

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
leenoslally
Contributor
Message 2 of 12

Re: Broadband Cutting Out - Again

Darkelf did you phone them last night? I phoned during last weekend 5 times and the night shift are terrible. On the 5th call they said they werent able to book and engineer until 8am so i hung up. and phoned back in the morning.

At the top of this page click contact us and send an email in. someone will phone you back and look after your case personally.

Connect your filter to the test socket by removing the bottom of you faceplate, then dial 17070 opt 2 and check the noise on your line. If its noisy you need someone to fix the line. If its not I would guess your homehub might be on the blink.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 12

uou posted a couple of months ago but you but you never followed up keith's request for stats. so in order for the forum members to help please can you post the adsl stats from your router may need to 'show detail' to get all stats (if hub enter 192.168.1.254 in your browser and navigate to adsl or use a-z, if netgear enter 192.168.0.1) and run  btspeedtester  (MAC users may have problems). when first test completes then run diagnostic test and post the results .

are you connected directly via a filter to the NTE5 master or test socket or to somewhere else? Is the master the only phone socket in your home?

Have you tried the quiet line test? - dial 17070 option 2 - should hear nothing - best done with a corded phone. if cordless phone you may hear a 'dull hum' which is normal

Someone may then be able to offer help/assistance/suggestions to your problem

test socket.jpg

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Darkelf720
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 12

Hi guys,

Thanks for the replies. 

My Hub is connected to another socket as the master one is right by our front door and running an Ethernet Cable in front of our Kitchen and Downstairs toilet isn't good with a clumsey wife and 2 small children.

I will take it to bits as you suggest though as, if it's that that is causing the problem it can be remidied.  If it does crackle is it something I can do by replacing the face plate or is it something BT would have to do?

These are the settings you asked for Imjolly

Including More Details....Again many thanks for your advice 🙂

ADSL Line Status
Connection Information
Line state:Connected
Connection time:0 days, 02:35:17
Downstream:6.586 Mbps
Upstream:1.027 Mbps

ADSL Settings
VPI/VCI:0/38
Type:PPPoA
Modulation:G.992.5 Annex A
Latency type:Interleaved
Noise margin (Down/Up):8.2 dB / 5.6 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up):40.9 dB / 25.0 dB
Output power (Down/Up):20.4 dBm / 11.9 dBm
FEC Events (Down/Up):357393 / 1040
CRC Events (Down/Up):229 / 160
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote):0 / 0
HEC Events (Down/Up):3373 / 1182
Error Seconds (Local/Remote):73 / 24
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 12

using the master socket will eliminate your internal wiring which may be causing interference on your line.  try quiet line test form test socket and if you get noise then you need to report a phone fault to 151 with no mention of broadband.

you can also check for the bellwire on terminal 3 and if present remove it from all sockets 

bellwire removal

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Darkelf720
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 12

Hi,

Me again.  Ok this is really odd, I have no master socket, or at least I cannot find one.  I have taken apart the 3 that are inside the house and all 3 are the same.

I do however have a BT Openreach Grey Box outside my front door.  It has a red box inside that says do not remove and all the other wires look the same as the ones inside the house.

So now I don't know what to do, do I just try the number from the one closest to the front door?  None of them have hidden ports inside to connect the phone directly, not even the grey one.

Many thanks 🙂

0 Ratings
Darkelf720
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 12

Ok just did a line test using the socket by my main door with no ADSL filter in and there's so much static I can't hardly hear the message quiet line.

I think that could be my fault huh?
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 12

if the grey box looks like this external_NTE_1.png  then that is you master socket. 

are all your internal sockets connected back to the grey box or is there only 1 connection from the grey box into your first socket and the other 2 are conencted in series to the first box?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Darkelf720
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 12

Thanks mate that's exactly the socket I have on the outside of the property.

This is what it looks like inside that socket so you can probably tell me, it looks like only one is connected then fed through to the rest.

20130625_134402.jpg

It appears that the fault lies somewhere between the 1st socket and the one I had my BB into.  I went a bought a corded phone and there was a slight Bleep then loads of static.  The BT guys (when i could hear him through the static) said unplug the BB from the 2nd socket.  I did so and the noise and crackling stopped.

I then plugged it into the first socket and there's no crackle or bleeping and the internet is solid.

The wife's gonna kill me because my house now has the ethernet cable from the front hall way to the sitting room, dangling accross the top of 2 doors....:( I might be forced to connect wirelessly.

Thanks again for your help 🙂

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 12

Check that the cables are connected to terminals 2&5 and if cable on 3 then this is old bellwire and should be disconnected as it causes interference.

0 Ratings