cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Contributor
Message 1 of 8

Broadband Dropping Out and Connection Speed Decreasing

Sorry to be a pain but I am back here again.

Since the last issue with speed, connection drop out and noisey line which required an underground cable to be partly replaced, all has been fantastic and no problem to report. Many thanks to those who were involved in helping with getting that issue resolved.

About 10 days ago the broadband started to drop out at random times but not too often. The broadband hub light would go out for about 15 seconds before returning. My connection would automatically resume and no great problem. It has since become more of a problem and pain.

The frequency of drop out increased with a sort of pattern. Last week an example would be drop out at 11:50 am, again at 12:40 and once more at 1:30 pm. Each time the connection returned my computer icon for wifi would be a warning triangle. I clicked on the icon and would get a message 'limited connection'. The only way I could connect again would be to click the icon and select to disconnect and then connect, making sure a 'tick' was in the box for autoconnection. A bit more of a pain than before but usable. It got more of a problem over the next few days.

The frequency of drop out increased. This became a right pain when trying to purchase things online as I could not be sure in the purchase had been completed or if I tried again would I get two lots? Upon broadband connection returning I would not be able to 'auto connect' but would get the warning triangle of 'limited connection'. I tried the click to disconnect and reconnect but it failed to work. I ended up shutting down the laptop, waiting before powering up. This failed to work as all I would get is the warning triangle and 'limited connection'. The only way I could reconnect was to press the 'restart' button. This worked but it got worse.

The next day the broadband connection would drop out every couple of hours. It got to the point that even pressing the 'restart' button would not allow me to connect. I tried three times and gave up. I had to resort to pressing the very small 'reset' button on the back. This cured the problem for about 12 hours before the drop outs started again.

It is now a case of 50/50 if I can connect to the broadband again after a drop out. It is getting quite frustrating. I only used the small 'reset' as a last resort. I have noticed that the speed of the connection has started to drop down also.

Each time the hub drops broadband and I can auto connect and do not press any hub button, the timer has reset to zero days and zero hours. I know it takes about a week for the connection to settle. I do wonder if these drop outs are messing the connection settings for my line speed? The line used to be rated at 21 Mbps but has decreased to 17 Mbps, my actual connection used to be 19 Mbps but struggles to reach 14 Mbps. It is slowly dropping with each and every drop out.

I also looked at the event log in the hub. Just before each broadband drop out I see a external connection is made with the initials 'CWMP' followed by 'event code 1 boot' or 'event code 6 connection request' or 'event code 4 value change'. Straight after the broadband connection drops out with out fail.

All I can seem to find out is that the external connection is either the hub connecting to the server or vice versa? As for the codes? I have no idea at all.

I only ever resort to pressing 'restart' if I cannot connect to my hub. I have only pressed the 'reset' as a last resort as nothing else worked to allow me to reconnect.

Can anyone offer any help or best a permanent fix?

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 8

Re: Broadband Dropping Out and Connection Speed Decreasing

if you still use the HH3 can you post the stats please

can you try quiet line test  dial 17070 option 2  should be quiet apart from announcement and best done with corded phone

are you currently using the test socket?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 3 of 8

Still using Home Hub 3

Quiet Line Test, complete and silent

Connected via Test Socket

ADSL Line Status
Connection Information
Line state:Connectedppp0_0
Connection time:0 days, 05:31:27
Downstream:16.69 Mbps
Upstream:1.024 Mbps

ADSL Settings
VPI/VCI:0/38
Type:PPPoA
Modulation:G.992.5 Annex A
Latency type:Interleaved
Noise margin (Down/Up):9.5 dB / 7.1 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up):10.3 dB / 6.7 dB
Output power (Down/Up):19.8 dBm / 12.4 dBm
FEC Events (Down/Up):0 / 0
CRC Events (Down/Up):0 / 3
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote):0 / 0
HEC Events (Down/Up):0 / 6
Error Seconds (Local/Remote):65 / 17
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 8

for 5hrs connected you connection looks good with no errors.  the high noise margin at 9.5db due to the connection drops is the cause of the drop in connection speed

have you always been connected to test socket or did you move there after drops in connection started?

is there anything here that may be causing interference 

interference causes

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 5 of 8

I connected to the test socket and used a wired connection for the speed test and hub stats.

The hub position and run of cables are the same as when the last engineer advised as the best set up.

Since my last post I have checked the event log and 'CWMP' has made at least two remote connections but the hub did not drop broadband connection. The broadband has been stable but just slower than usual, as you stated due to the drop outs/disconnections.

I guess a case of wait and monitor to see if the problem has resolved itself?

Will the speed automatically return to the usual 18 to 19 Mbps? or will something else have to be done to reset it at the exchange/server?

Here are the hub stats from this morning.

Connection Information
Connection time:2 days, 00:23:43
Downstream:16.69 Mbps
Upstream:1.024 Mbps

ADSL Settings
Latency type:Interleaved
Noise margin (Down/Up):9.5 dB / 7.1 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up):10.3 dB / 6.7 dB
Output power (Down/Up):19.8 dBm / 12.4 dBm
FEC Events (Down/Up):4947 / 0
CRC Events (Down/Up):11 / 11
HEC Events (Down/Up):377 / 48
Error Seconds (Local/Remote):72 / 21
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 8

with a stable connection 24/7 the DLM should drop your noise margin back to 6db which will increase your conenction speed.  on good lines with no noise problem the DLM may actually reduce your noise margin down to 3db which will further increase your conenction.  all automatic but will take a few weeks

Highlighted
Contributor
Message 7 of 8

My broadband connection has been stable since my last post.

A little while ago the hub dropped broadband but I am not going to complain or moan about it.

My noise margin has been decreased and my line speed has increased.

Many thanks for your help and advice.

My new hub stats.

Connection Information
Connection time:0 days, 00:20:18
Downstream:20.79 Mbps
Upstream:1.21 Mbps

ADSL Settings
Latency type:Fast
Noise margin (Down/Up):3.8 dB / 6.2 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up):10.7 dB / 6.7 dB
Output power (Down/Up):19.9 dBm / 12.4 dBm
FEC Events (Down/Up):0 / 0
CRC Events (Down/Up):0 / 0
HEC Events (Down/Up):0 / 0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote):76 / 35
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 8

Looks good

Thanks for update

0 Ratings