cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
CycleFleet
Beginner
Message 1 of 7

Broadband (Infinity) speed problem

Since we had BT Infinity installed on 5th July our download speeds on the main computer rarely exceed 6Mb compare to the 76Mb promised.  After several engineer visits in transpires that the original engineer should have 'hardwired' the main computer rather than setting up a wireless connection; as the BT socket and computer are at opposite ends of the house he chose the 'lazy' option and set it up wirelessly through a dongle device.  We agreed with Mumbai that an engineer would come and rectify the omission but the next engineer said he wasn't 'qualified' to do this!!  It's most frustrating to be in daily contact with Mumbai, to constantly have to reiterate the past, and then suffer the 'Groundhog day' scenario of yet another engineer visiting to test (another day off work), agree what the issue is, but be unable to resolve.  According to Mumbai 'the next engineer visit will definitely cure the problem!!  Any tips as to how we can progress before we throw in the towel and request BT to take it all away?

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Webby
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 7

Re: Broadband (Infinity) speed problem

Best of waiting for the engineer to come and see what happens.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
CycleFleet
Beginner
Message 3 of 7

Thanks but 4 separate engineer visits have so far have failed to rectify the first engineers omission (- to install hard wiring where it is needed), so have really lost confidence that the 5th would be any different.  I cant help feeling that much of this is due to communication issues due to the cultural / linguistic filter of Mumbai

0 Ratings
Deathtrap3000
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 7

They dont have to hardwire any computer. They provide the kit where you want it and then demo it on a pc wired or wireless. If you did ask for it to be in the room with your computer then the engineer should have done this for you.

The subsequent engineers may not have had the correct jobs given to them. If you get another engineer out ask them what job they have. If its a boost, they can move it. If its anything else they dont have to.

0 Ratings
biffo1963
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 7

I'm not sure it's Openreach's job to set up your home network for you.  I'm prepared to be told I'm wrong, but that's my understanding.  

However if you actually mean that you need Cat5 cable run from the modem to the room containing your main computer, so that the HH3 can be placed in the same room as the computer, then yes that is part of the installation service so long as the cable run doesn't exceed than 30 feet.

0 Ratings
Deathtrap3000
Recognised Expert
Message 6 of 7

@biffo1963 wrote:

However if you actually mean that you need Cat5 cable run from the modem to the room containing your main computer, so that the HH3 can be placed in the same room as the computer, then yes that is part of the installation service so long as the cable run doesn't exceed than 30 feet.

The engineers dont officially make ethernet cable, only dsl extensions. The modem and router would be together in one place.

0 Ratings
biffo1963
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 7

Oops sorry, my misunderstanding. A bit of a senior moment I'm afraid 😞
0 Ratings