cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 5

Broadband Slowdowns, and BT customer service

I've had BT Infinity 1 for about 4 months now and so far the service has been great. However, this week has been awful. I'm supposed to be garanteed 29 MBs down and 5 Up. Speeds will drop down to as low as .25 MBs accourding to speedtest.net, and 4 MBs accourding to speedtest.btwholesale. This is unacceptable. I have to restart or power cycle my BT Hub 5 a few times a day, only to have the poor speeds return after an hour or so.

Which brings me to BT technical support. Everytime I call bt I am treated like an idiot. I tell them the situation, and the steps that I've already taken to try and fix the problem, and they continue to take me through the same steps I've already taken. When I tell them, that yes, power cycling the BT HUB fixes the issue temporaraly but the speed problems will return, they take that as the problem being fixed and sending me on my way. I've call 3 times now, and my issue still hasn't been resolved. When I asked for a technician to be sent to my house for a more indepth troubleshooting, I was told the problem is fixed on their end and they see no reason so send a technician. 

Can anyone help me further diagnoise this issue past the elementary advice BT customer service gives me? Also, is there a move Advanced Technical Support I can contact that won't try to explain to me how to find the address bar on my internet browser, or have actual working knowledge of how the system works instead of just reading off of their trouble shooting script?

Sorry for the small rant, it is extremly frustrated to be treated like an idiot by customer service, and even more frustrating to feel like I know more than the technician on the phone does.

Thanks in advance.

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 5

Re: Broadband Slowdowns, and BT customer service

if you have a HH5 can you go to hub manager then trobleshooting then helpdesk and post 1-12

can you run btspeedtester and when first test completes then run diagnostic test and post results  must be done with wired connection  btspeedtester

are you using the test socket with a new filter

can you enter your phone number and post results  remember to delete number wholesale FTTC check

try quiet line test   dial 17070 option 2  should be quiet and best with corded phone

you probably have covered this be4fore but forum members need information to help

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 5

Thanks for the quick replay, I'm off to work right now, but I'll try this out tonight.
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 5

So, I did all those tests after I restarted the BT Hub, typically when the speeds are at where they should be. I'll post the screen shots of when the internet goes down as well.

Also the quite line test sounded fine.

BT BROADBAND AVAILABILITY CHECKER

Featured Products

Downstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Downstream Range(Mbps)

WBC FTTC Availability Date

WBC SOGEA Availability Date

Left in Jumper

HighLowHighLow        

ADSL Products

Downstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Downstream Range(Mbps)

Availability Date

Left in Jumper

Other Offerings

Availability Date

VDSL Range A (Clean)45.332.496.2--Available----
VDSL Range B (Impacted)34.5187.84--Available----
WBC ADSL 2+Up to 6--5 to 7Available----
WBC ADSL 2+ Annex MUp to 6Up to 15 to 7Available----
ADSL MaxUp to 6--5 to 7Available----
WBC Fixed Rate2----Available----
Fixed Rate2----Available----
VDSL Multicast------Available----
ADSL Multicast------Available----

1. Product Name: HomeHub5 2. Serial number: +076286+1548014743 3. Firmware version: v0.07.05.0A13-BT (Type B) Last updated 28/2/2016 4. Board version: 01 5. VDSL uptime: 0 days, 00:03:48 6. Data Rate: 4879 / 29996 7. Maximum Data Rate: 5015 / 40571 8. Noise Margin: 6.2 / 6.8 9. Line Attenuation: 31.5 / 23.3 10. Signal Attenuation: 0.0 / 0.0 11. Data sent/received: 7.0 MB / 120.9 MB

Download speedachieved during the test was - 22.56 Mbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 20.32 Mbps-29.03 Mbps .
 Additional Information:
 IP Profile for your line is - 29.03 Mbps

Upload speed achieved during the test was - 4.34Mbps
 Additional Information:
 Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 10 Mbps

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 5

The email you got when you joined would show an estimated speed range with a lower guaranteed minimum down speed. All speeds are connection speeds not download speeds there is no guaranteed up speed

Are you using the test socket with new Filter.?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings