Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 1 of 104

Broadband Speed Experiment

Go to solution
Hi I'm going to start posting daily stats in an attempt to prove to BT that the quality of the Broadband they are supplying me is substandard. For info, I am currently connected to the test socket with a brand new filter and ethernet connection to my Mac.

ADSL Line Status
Connection Information
Line state:Connected
Connection time:11 days, 22:14:36
Downstream:1.117 Mbps
Upstream:967.9 Kbps

ADSL Settings
VPI/VCI:0/38
Type:PPPoA
Modulation:G.992.3 Annex A
Latency type:Interleaved
Noise margin (Down/Up):14.7 dB / 5.6 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up):54.0 dB / 30.9 dB
Output power (Down/Up):15.0 dBm / 12.6 dBm
FEC Events (Down/Up):0 / 0
CRC Events (Down/Up):294994 / 7264
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote):0 / 0
HEC Events (Down/Up):89667 / 4507
Error Seconds (Local/Remote):

53793 / 5512

Broadband Speed Test: Results

1.14Mb
Download
0.96Mb
Upload
0.77Mb
The connection speed between your telephone exchange and your Home Hub could be improved. Try using the tips below and then re-test your speed.

The speed coming into your house

The speed you get at your computer

Connection speed 1.14Mb
Could be improved
Download speed
0.96Mb
Upload speed
0.77Mb
Poor

0 Ratings
103 REPLIES 103
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 104

Re: Broadband Speed Experiment

Go to solution

Of course it is "substandard"; you don't need daily results to see that and since your connection time is already close to 12 days you obviously have a very stable connection that is likely to be exactly the same tomorrow as it is today.

Your downstream attenuation is 54dB which means you are a long way from the telephone exchange and you are never going to get 'superfast' broadband.  But with that amount of attenuation you should hope to achieve a downstream sync rate of about 4Mbps (see http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/max_speed_calc.php ) on a good line.

One reason you are not achieving that is because your target noise margin (seemingly 15dB) is too high. That would be due to a bad past history, probably before you started using the test socket.  The quickest way to fix that is to ask one of the Mods. to reset your line down to a target SNRM of 6dB.  The lower the SNRM the higher your sync rate, IP Profile, download speed etc.  There is no guarantee that your line is sufficiently noise-free to sustain a 6dB SNRM but it clearly manages 15dB very easily and so it should at least be lower than 15.  

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 3 of 104

Go to solution

Thanks Reeds_Richards. You're right I'm 3.06km from the exchange which does not (and I suspect will not) feature in BT plans for Superfast broandband. 

You will see from my previous posts that this is a recurring problem. Once cleared it comes back after a few weeks. I am now looking to gather enough stats to show to BT that the BT broadband service is unacceptable (I am unable to stream videos, use services like Netflix, Sky on Demand, etc..), then to terminate my contract and move to Vfast. Grateful if the mods could reset my line down to 6db and then I can monitor how long it takes for the noise margin to change and the service deteriorate again. 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 104

Go to solution

as you have posted stats to show a stable connection for almost 12 days then I would reset my router about lunchtime when noise margin will be a highest and see if that 1 reset is enough to drop your noise margin.  if you then repost your stats and noise margin still about 15db then mods may help.  only 1 reset though

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 104

Go to solution

You need to do more than that, you need to use a program called Routerstats (or Routerstats Lite) to continuously monitor your SNRM so you can see what goes wrong.  http://vwlowen.co.uk/internet/files.htm (I see there is now a version for the BT HH3 also).

The line where I sometimes work is perfectly stable at 6dB SNRM except that once every week or two it becomes completely unstable for a period up to an hour.  It is so bad during that time that it would not matter what the SNRM was.  But this is all too much for the DLM in the telephone exchange so it tends to put the target SNRM up despite the fact that this serves no practical purpose.  Just one of those things, I'm afraid.  

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Guru
Guru
Message 6 of 104

Go to solution
Hi Hover2u,

Are you still using the extension socket to connect your router/Homehub to the phone line?

You are also on the ADSL2 line modulation. Adsl2/2+ is more aggressive to noise on your line than G.DMT was.

Before you were moved to the 21cn network and was on ADSLMax (G.DMT) did you experience the same issue?

Cheers

jac_95 | BT.com Help Site | BT Service Status
Someone Solved Your Question?
Please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Try a Search
See if someone in the community had the same problem and how they got it resolved.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 104

Go to solution

I once followed my line as it recovered from 15dB target SNRM to its normal 6dB to see how long it took (~50 days).  When I was experimenting I always found that a change in target SNRM would force a reconnection but Imjolly obviously thinks/knows that does not always happen.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 8 of 104

Go to solution

Thanks. Will reset HH3 later but unfortunately Routerstats does not work on my iMac and and I've not been able to find suitable software.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 9 of 104

Go to solution

Hi jac_95. No I don't use an extension socket anymore. My HH3 is connected diectly into the test socket (abou 1ft away from it) and my iMac is connect by ethernet cable to the HH (about 5ft away from it). I've experienced the same issue pre and post ADSL2.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 10 of 104

Go to solution

Router reset. Stats below:

ADSL Line Status
Connection Information
Line state:Connected
Connection time:0 days, 00:10:13
Downstream:1.117 Mbps