I have had BT Broadband for roughly 2.5 years. About 1 year ago, had a problem with the service droping. Fiitted an "internet accelerator" to ensure no interference from extensions, and seemed to resolve matters. Service is a fairly consistent 1Mbps but expect that as fairly far from the exchange.
About 2 weeks ago had a couple of service drops, but quickly resolved themselves. However about 5-6 days ago internet speed dropped significantly. Down to about 100k! I thought I was back in 1995! So here are the stats from the router:
|Connection time||3 days, 2:08:54|
|Noise margin (Down/Up)||6.1 dB / 6.0 dB|
|Line attenuation (Down/Up)||63.5 dB / 31.5 dB|
|Output power (Down/Up)||14.6 dBm / 10.4 dBm|
|Loss of Framing (Local)||0|
|Loss of Signal (Local)||0|
|Loss of Power (Local)||0|
|FEC Errors (Down/Up)||101588 / 41|
|CRC Errors (Down/Up)||72 / 2147480000|
|HEC Errors (Down/Up)||nil / 25|
|Error Seconds (Local)||115|
and BT Speed tester was showing the set service speed as 750k, with actual speed anywhere being 90-200k over the last few days.
If anyone has any advice I 'd appreciate it.
Oh ... one more concern ... 2 weeks ago, and this may be coincidence I signed up for a new BT contract, on the same service (option 1) but ata discounted price. At the weekend a friend visited who noticed BTFon and BTOpenzone hotspots available. Could this be a potential cause of the problem? I will be opting out anyway, as a precaution, but any other thoughts welcome.
Just to add something further from reading other posts. I looked at at a max adsl speed calculator and given the attenuation of 63db it estimated line lenght of 4.5km, which sounds right to exchange and suggested I should get speeds between 1500 and 2000 Kbps
Don't know if this helps?
Thanks for the quick reply regarding Fon and Openzone. That is one variable removed.
Looks like I still have problems elsewhere then, given the drop in speed from roughly 1000K (constant over 2+ years) to around about 100-200k now.
If anyone else could have a look at the figures and have a crack at indentify the problem I would be grateful
I'm not stalking you across the forum....honestly, however i have also noticed that since BT FON and openzone have appeared that my speed has dropped, this may well have been around the same time as my original email re infinity in Duloch but it could also be pure coinciidence. Thought i would add that to be fair to BT however i will also drop this in. When i moved into my new home 3 years ago, BT installed a line and all seemed to be going well until we started to hear others speaking every time i phoned someone, BT checked it out and no problems found apparently, they did some sort of line test that i can't really rememeber much about, anyway to cut a long story short this went on for months until one day we actually managed to speak to one of the many crossed parties, collected their details asked them to hold on while we phoned BT. We told the BT person about the crossed line, they checked it out told us we were imagining it again so i put the crossed line on the phone. Amazingly enough they came out and managed to find a fault in the street cabinet, some muppet had wired something up wrongly which caused the problem. Could there be any chance that the something has been wired up wrongly somewhere which could cause this???
One more test result:
Getting 115k on a 750k IP profile with acceptable range of 400k-1000k
Best Effort Test: -provides background information.
|0 Kbps||1000 Kbps|
Max Achievable Speed
| Download speedachieved during the test was - 115 Kbps|
For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 400-1000 Kbps.
Your DSL Connection Rate :256 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 192 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 750 Kbps
The throughput of Best Efforts (BE) classes achieved during the test is - 11.61:20.04:68.52 (SBE:NBE:PBE)
These figures represent the ratio while sententiously passing Sub BE, Normal BE and Priority BE marked traffic.
The results of this test will vary depending on the way your ISP has decided to use these traffic classes.
2. Upstream Test: -provides background information.
|0 Kbps||192 Kbps|
Max Achievable Speed
>Upload speed achieved during the test was - 134 Kbps
Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 192 Kbps