cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
hobblewash
Beginner
Message 1 of 33

Broadband Speed Nosedive after switching from Sky

Hello. I'm some distance from the exchange, and was with Be Internet which morphed into Sky Broadband. For 4 years I got a very reliable 1.6 mbit/sec connection. 

Since moving to BT on the 25th Jan '16and my connection has halved to 0.8 mbit and shows no sign of improvement. Mine is a familiar story on here whereby BT helpdesk insist this is as expected.

I have a newer HomeHub 4.0 Type A, and can't find the SNR ration anywhere - can someone help? Reading some of the posts on here it seems this is a very common problem. I truly hope I don't end up on the merrygo round like this poor chap. I'll likely go back to SKY way before then.

0 Ratings
32 REPLIES 32
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 33

Re: Broadband Speed Nosedive after switching from Sky

Hi Welcome to the community forums
Here is a basic guide to getting help from the community members done by CL Keith Please read through the link posted http://forumhelp.dyndns.info/speed/first_steps.html
once you have posted the information asked for then the community members can help you more

if using a hub 4 locate these lines located in the hub logs
Lines should look like this
19:11:29, 07 Nov. (2290101.460000) DSL noise margin: 7.00 dB upstream, 6.10 dB downstream
19:11:29, 07 Nov. (2290101.390000) DSL line rate: 448 Kbps upstream, 288 Kbps downstream

Can you run this checker and post back a screen shot of the results. Make sure you delete your phone number before posting.

http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome

Thank You
This is a customer to customer self help forum the only BT presence here are the forum moderators
0 Ratings
hobblewash
Beginner
Message 3 of 33

Thanks for the response. I can't find this in the logs anywhere and I've run through it two or three times. Here's what the log looks like when it connects:

2016-02-02_23-12-37.jpg

Here is the helpdesk bit of the troubleshooting page:2016-02-02_23-04-18.jpg

Here is the ADSL availability checker result:

2016-02-02_23-05-42.jpg

Here is the speedtest result:2016-02-02_23-02-59.jpg

And the further diagnostics:

2016-02-02_23-03-58.jpg

Any ideas?

0 Ratings
Webby
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 33

On the first screenshot....go back to that page on the hub and select WAN from the drop down and look for the bit with noise margins measured in db
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
Webby
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 33

You're also only on adsl1, not adsl2+
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
hobblewash
Beginner
Message 6 of 33

Thanks for the response - very helpful.

I've now put back my old router and hacked the username via telnet (the GUI doesn't let you do this). This is a router with a more forgiving interface and shows my SNR properly. SNR at 9db the issue? How do I get on ADSL2?

Oddly - I got an immediate speed improvement to just over 1mb with this more rudimentary router in play.

2016-02-02_23-47-28.jpg

New speedtest:

2016-02-02_23-53-17.jpg

2016-02-02_23-54-12.jpg

0 Ratings
hobblewash
Beginner
Message 7 of 33

And I finally found the SNR on the Homehuub router. Odd its higher than the other router right?

2016-02-02_23-59-00.jpg

0 Ratings
Webby
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 33

That is a better connection with the old router however, with an attenuation of 63.5 I find it hard to believe you had a connection of 6500 previously! Although I'm not saying you're fibbing, as the wholesale checkers reckons your line is capable of up to 6.5meg. The SNR margin for downstream is 6.6, fairly normal.

If that Is the case then something seems to have happened to increase the attenuation of the line, perhaps a fault, or something hasn't been connected quite right when switching you over from Sky (assuming sky were LLU in your exchange).

Have you tried connecting your old router into the test socket?

As for changing to ADSL2+, you'll need to wait for one of the mods on the forum to comment on this post offering their assistance. They should be able to do it for you with no problems.
0 Ratings
hobblewash
Beginner
Message 9 of 33

Sorry just to be clear the speed I was getting with Sky (formally Be Internet) was 1.6 mbit/sec.

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 33

as already said with an attenuation of 63.5db or higher, as many router don't report attenuation greater than 63.5db, you would do well to get 1.5mb as per the dslchecker estimated speed.

are you using the test socket with a new filter?

try quiet line test  dial 17070 option 2  should be quiet and best with corded phone

with your attenuation a move to adsl2 will make little difference if any to your down connection speed but would increase your up speed by about 100% and we can see if mods will help with upgrade.  first you need a stable connection and see if you can get speed increased hence suggestion of test socket

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings