Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Browns
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 17

Broadband Speed dropped suddenly

Go to solution

Hi There,

Since the New Year our broadband speed has dropped from 1mbps to 0.1mbps. At that point our land line also stopped working totally however we have had an engineer around to repair the landline. He came to the conclusion that there was internal wiring in the master socket causing it to short circuit.  He literally ripped the wires out of the master socket. This made the landline work again. The broadband speed is still running very slowly causing great frustration. 

It's a home hub 3

Here are the results of the speed test I just carried out

Results Image not loaded

Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test:  -provides background information.

Download  Speed
 101 Kbps

0 Kbps250 Kbps
Max Achievable Speed

Download speedachieved during the test was - 101 Kbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 50-250 Kbps.
 Additional Information:
 Your DSL Connection Rate :1568 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
 IP Profile for your line is - 135 Kbps

I am expecting to get at least 1mbps. Any ideas what the problem could be? I don't think it is any equipment. I Have tried the test socket and i recieve the same results

Tags (1)
0 Ratings
16 REPLIES 16
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 17

Re: Broadband Speed dropped suddenly

Go to solution

all the disconnections and resets have resulted in your profile dropping to rock bottom 135.  just stay connected 24/7 for 3/5 days and profile will return to normal

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 17

Go to solution
Hi have you been restarting your hub to try and get a higher speed ? or has the hub been restarting if you have been restarting please stop it is the restarts that have caused the drop in IP Profile and this leads to a download speed loss you need 3/5 days stable connection and your profile will rise automatically
0 Ratings
Browns
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 17

Go to solution

thanks for the info. I will mark the solution as accepted in a few days if this is the case. The hub was restarting over and over. It has stopped now since the engineer has been here. 

Thank you

0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 17

Go to solution
if now stable just leave the hub with no restarts as we posted for the next 3/5 days and all should return to normal
0 Ratings
Browns
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 17

Go to solution

thanks for the advice, speed is back to normal. Still not 100% happy with service as speed is only 1-1.5mbps. This is still slower than expected but i think its the best for our area

0 Ratings
NilSatisOptimum
Recognised Expert
Message 7 of 17

Go to solution

If you put your down attenuation figure in here http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/max_speed_calc.php  this will give a good estimate on what to expect.

Mortgage Advisor 2000-2008
Green Energy Advisor 2008-2010
Charity Health Care Provider Advisor 2010-
I'm alright Jack....
0 Ratings
Browns
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 17

Go to solution
32.9db gives me IP profile of 6500kbps but im getting an IP profile of only 1250 kbps. Is this because of high noise margins?
ADSL Settings
VPI/VCI:0/38
Type:PPPoA
Modulation:G.992.1 Annex A
Latency type:Interleaved
Noise margin (Down/Up):16.3 dB / 28.0 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up):32.9 dB / 17.0 dB
Output power (Down/Up):17.8 dBm / 12.2 dBm
FEC Events (Down/Up):44142631 / 18
CRC Events (Down/Up):1833 / 13
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote):0 / 0
HEC Events (Down/Up):3411 / 19
Error Seconds (Local/Remote):2043 / 35
0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 17

Go to solution

can you add your connection time and speed please

are you connected to the master or test socket?  do you have other sockets apart from the master

try quiet line test   dial 17070 option 2  should be quiet and best with corded phone   if cordless then dull hum normal

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Browns
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 17

Go to solution

sorry I will have to wait 1 hour first.

I am connected to the master socket. Just had an engineer around to check internal wiring and he said there should be no problem now. quiet line test with cordless phone gives is as you said it should be. i will post speed test in a while

0 Ratings