cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 10

Broadband Speed too slow for BT's own services.

Hello, I have recently heard that BT Sport has the rights for MotoGP in 2014.

Brilliant, I have BT Broadband, it will be free for me.

Oh wait, the required speed is 400kbps, and my BT provided Broadband is less than half of that speed!

I assume, BT will be upgrading the equipment in my area to enable me to have the required speed to view this?

I can dream... Seriously angry about this.
0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 10

Re: Broadband Speed too slow for BT's own services.

from your previous posts if exchange was upgraded to 21CN you would notice little difference if any due to your distance from the exchange

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 3 of 10

@Tourn46 wrote:
Hello, I have recently heard that BT Sport has the rights for MotoGP in 2014.

Brilliant, I have BT Broadband, it will be free for me.

Oh wait, the required speed is 400kbps, and my BT provided Broadband is less than half of that speed!

I assume, BT will be upgrading the equipment in my area to enable me to have the required speed to view this?

I can dream... Seriously angry about this.

That's a big assumption.  I can't imagine BT or Openreach spending lots of money just so that you can watch the MotoGP.

400k is pretty slow these days - it it just because you are on a very long line, or is there an underlying problem?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 10

Yes, the assumption was sarcastic 😃

I am on a long line, I am not sure why it's such a problem here in the UK, I have plenty of contacts through work in weird and wonderful places across the world who get better connections than me.

It just seems ludicrous that I am paying a small fortune each month for not even close to a reasonable speed by current standards.

They should either ensure people receive reasonable service or allow us to pay for our average speed.

Just frustrating that they are advertising a wonderful new channel that i won't be able to use because their speed they provide me is too slow. What's worse is that they have exclusive rights to probably the only thing i use a TV for.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 10

Just to note, on a good day, I get 150kbps on my downloads.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 6 of 10

What area do you live in? Go to this page to find out your options:

http://dslchecker.bt.com/

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 10

Available Products
Downstream Line Rate(Mbps)
Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)
Downstream Range(Mbps)
Availability Date

Featured Products

ADSL Max Up to 1 -- 0.75 to 2.5 Available
Fixed Rate 2 -- -- Available

That is what it came back with.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 8 of 10

Well folks, I managed to find my way into BT Sport because I'm in the same boat as Tourn46, I want to carry on watching MotoGP in 2014 (but I won't pay subscription fees to anyone).

Just checked my connection speed - excellent - 8MB.

Just watched some tennis on BT Sport 2 - YouTube quality at best.  BT Sport 1 even poorer and ESPN, wouldn't connect.

Hohum.  No more watching those incerdible machines being wrestled around at 200mph in HD/slow motion.  I think I'll probably not bother to watch.  I see I could maybe get HD by paying for an Infinit package - oops, I won't pay any more so that's out.  I see the BT channels come up on my Samsung SmartTV on FreeView, but I'd need a subscription box to get those- oops, I won't pay any more so that's out too.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 9 of 10

@liton_beat

If you are getting  8MB  (is that a speedtester test)  then the PC stream can provide very good quality pictures if your PC and video card are good enough. I haven't noticed any difference in quality across the BT Sport or ESPN channels other than when the source broadcast has cleary been recorded in a lower definition.

What screen resolution are you using ?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 10 of 10

Hi zulu,

Samsung Netbook on whatever resolution it pumps out.  Not intending to buy new computer either... and all I got when I tried all 3 channels just now was the rotating wait thingy... connected up to the telly yesterday using a HDMI cable but got youtube quality tennisa and football interviews.  As said by poster above MotoGP benefits from the highest resoution that can be got.  And I suspect an awful lot of the audience will be same as myself, old enough not to be used to paying through the nose for telly and immune to the advertising that goes with it. At the same time, the era of The Doctor (not that one) is coming to a close so there's less motiavtion to watch.  Exit stage left...

0 Ratings