Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JigsawStu
Aspiring Contributor
Message 21 of 31

Re: Broadband Speeds Suddenly Dropped!

Go to solution

Ha, Ha! What a doughnut! It made no discernable difference to me and it still wouldn't play any youtube videos but;

ADSL line status

Connection information
Line stateConnected
Connection time0 days, 0:00:28
Downstream2,368 Kbps
Upstream448 Kbps

ADSL settings
VPI/VCI0/38
TypePPPoA
ModulationITU-T G.992.1
Latency typeInterleaved
Noise margin (Down/Up)15.5 dB / 22.0 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up)49.0 dB / 29.0 dB
Output power (Down/Up)17.7 dBm / 11.9 dBm
Loss of Framing (Local)0
Loss of Signal (Local)0
Loss of Power (Local)0
FEC Errors (Down/Up)0 / 0
CRC Errors (Down/Up)0 / N/A
HEC Errors (Down/Up)N/A / 0
Error Seconds (Local)0

Any ideas on the next course of action? Thanks again for your continued help!
0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 22 of 31

Go to solution

whatever is wrong it is as you suggested at the start something to do with the new sky hd box.  you now need to leave it to stabilise and profile will rise and give better download speed.  then after that get noise margin reset to 6 which will give a faster connection speed and increase in download speed

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 23 of 31

Go to solution

My guess, based on what other people have done wrong, is that you are using the "phone doubler" fitting which Sky provide, and you have possibly connected the microfilter after that device, instead of before it.

The microfiter must plug directly into the phone socket, and the Sky "phone doubler" connector, must plug into the "phone" side of the microfilter.

Unless you do it that way, all of the broadband signal will be lost down the Sky extension lead, and into the Sky box.

JigsawStu
Aspiring Contributor
Message 24 of 31

Go to solution

Alright then.....sounds good. I've plugged the Sky line back-in and it has dropped back to 192. How long will it take to stabilise and then how do I go about getting the noise reduction set to 6?

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 25 of 31

Go to solution

if you connected filter and sky correctly then speed should not change.  need to sort out your connection then get it stable and then get mods to reset noise margin if it doesn't do it automatically

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
JigsawStu
Aspiring Contributor
Message 26 of 31

Go to solution

Keith, you are a legend!! Did as you advised and the speed is now up at 2,400-odd! Result. Is it just a case of now just let it stablise and that is the end of the matter?

Can I also thank everybody else for their help! Cheers!

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 27 of 31

Go to solution

need to let it stabilse and if you get to 3+ days stable and if noise margin still high then contact the mods and get it reset to 6 which will give increase in speed 

contact mods

can take up to 3 working days for mods to contact you

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 28 of 31

Go to solution

@JigsawStu wrote:

Keith, you are a legend!! Did as you advised and the speed is now up at 2,400-odd! Result. Is it just a case of now just let it stablise and that is the end of the matter?

Can I also thank everybody else for their help! Cheers!

You are not the only one who has made that mistake. Sky conveniently provide that adapter on the end of their extension, so people can still use the socket. So that usually gets plugged in first, where is where everything goes to pieces Smiley Wink

That is the worst thing they could do. I suspect there are one or two other people sitting at home, wondering why their broadband has been so slow, since they got a Sky box.

I am sure that if you leave it a few days, normal service will be resumed.

0 Ratings
JigsawStu
Aspiring Contributor
Message 29 of 31

Go to solution

Afternoon guys!

After receiving some excellent advice on the problem with the Sky HD box, the latest ADSL stats look like this and have been unmoved since it was connected.......Any ideas on the next action I need to take as videos are still refusing to load!

ADSL line status

Connection information
Line stateConnected
Connection time2 days, 20:15:49
Downstream2,912 Kbps
Upstream448 Kbps

ADSL settings
VPI/VCI0/38
TypePPPoA
ModulationITU-T G.992.1
Latency typeInterleaved
Noise margin (Down/Up)13.9 dB / 22.0 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up)49.0 dB / 29.0 dB
Output power (Down/Up)18.4 dBm / 11.9 dBm
Loss of Framing (Local)11
Loss of Signal (Local)1
Loss of Power (Local)0
FEC Errors (Down/Up)51231 / 58
CRC Errors (Down/Up)277 / N/A
HEC Errors (Down/Up)N/A / 37
Error Seconds (Local)

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 30 of 31

Go to solution

I would now contact the mods and ask for your noise margin to be reset to 6 and that should give speed increase you need.  Normally ned 3+ days connected but you are almost there and as mods can take 3 days to contact you that will be sufficient to show a stable connection  

contact mods

can take up to 3 working days for mods to contact you

0 Ratings