Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 31

Broadband Speeds Suddenly Dropped!

Go to solution

Evening!

Never posted on here before but hopefully somebody will be able to help me!

Broadband has been fine up until last week until it suddenly refused to load videos and pictures and the time taken to flick between pages was painful!

I ran the 'quiet line' test and everything was silent so I think this is a good sign?! Also ran the ADSL line test and these are the results:

ADSL line status

Connection information
Line stateConnected
Connection time0 days, 0:44:54
Downstream160 Kbps
Upstream448 Kbps

ADSL settings
VPI/VCI0/38
TypePPPoA
ModulationITU-T G.992.1
Latency typeInterleaved
Noise margin (Down/Up)15.9 dB / 21.0 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up)49.0 dB / 29.0 dB
Output power (Down/Up)11.3 dBm / 11.9 dBm
Loss of Framing (Local)0
Loss of Signal (Local)0
Loss of Power (Local)0
FEC Errors (Down/Up)47403 / 0
CRC Errors (Down/Up)79 / N/A
HEC Errors (Down/Up)N/A / 0
Error Seconds (Local)1

Really not sure what the issue is as I'm not at all technology minded but there has definitely been a massive drop-off in the speed of the connection. The light was flashing orange but it is now solid blue and still being incredibly slow. We had Sky HD fitted last week but surely this shouldn't have been a problem as the phone line was just unplugged from the old Sky+ box into the new HD box......nothing has changed at all!!
Help!!
0 Ratings
30 REPLIES 30
Contributor
Message 2 of 31

Re: Broadband Speeds Suddenly Dropped!

Go to solution
Can you check that the cable from the sky box that goes into the phone line has a filter on it?
0 Ratings
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 31

Go to solution

I literally unplugged the old telephone cable from the Sky+ box (with which the internet worked absolutely fine) and put it into the new HD box! I will definitely check though although I don't know exactly what the filter would look like!

0 Ratings
Contributor
Message 4 of 31

Go to solution
The filter is square like device that you can plug in your broadband cable and phone into which then connects into the telephone socket ( usually white in colour ). When there is broadband on the line, all devices that plug into the telephone line must have a filter on it.
You may have just been lucky with your old sky box and it's not been a problem.
0 Ratings
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 31

Go to solution

Yes, we do have a filter on the Sky cable.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 31

Go to solution
The disconnections have caused an increase in noise margin which has caused your noise margin as has already been posted all items connected to your phone line MUST be filtered sky boxes are particularly bad sources of interference and in some cases have had to be double filtered to remove problems
0 Ratings
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 31

Go to solution

Thanks mate! To clarify, what is it that I need to do to remove this noise margin?! I'm not techno minded at all so could you explain in the most Lehman-terms possible?!! Thanks for the help guys......hopefully nearing a solution....!

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 31

Go to solution

is your router close to the new sky hd box?  if so have your tried moving it further away in case of interference

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 31

Go to solution

Tried that as well but so far no luck!! The internet is loading albeit very slowly but youtube videos won't load and pictures from websites take longer to load than the rest of the text. These are the latest readings and I also ran a speedtest (which was run without an ethenet cable);

Download  Speed
 25 Kbps

0 Kbps250 Kbps Max Achievable Speed
Download speedachieved during the test was - 25 Kbps For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 50 Kbps-250 Kbps. Additional Information: Your DSL Connection Rate :160 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 Kbps(UP-STREAM) IP Profile for your line is - 135 Kbps

ADSL line status

Connection information
Line stateConnected
Connection time0 days, 15:07:31
Downstream160 Kbps
Upstream448 Kbps

ADSL settings
VPI/VCI0/38
TypePPPoA
ModulationITU-T G.992.1
Latency typeInterleaved
Noise margin (Down/Up)17.4 dB / 21.0 dB