cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
andyh
Contributor
Message 1 of 4

Broadband Talk and VoIP (again)

Hi - I have several VoIP accounts which I access from my iPhone including my BBT number. For years the BBT always worked (more reliably than the HH2 which regularly decides not ring for incoming calls until I do a reset) until many months ago (12 - 15?). I can receive incoming calls but when I try to set this up as the outgoing VoIP it fails when registering. All other accounts work perfectly.

I was out and about this a.m. and on coming home I needed to use VoIP. I noticed that BBT had now registered successfully and all the other accounts were failing. The reason for this turned out to be that the iPhone was connected to my HH2 BTWIFI-with-FON wifi (as it does when out and about) rather than my standard wifi network.

Sooooo can anyone give me a really good techie reason for this, why all but BBT works for normal wifi and only BBT works with FON wifi? Is there going to be any way of having them all work together again? I think this may not be for India.

Ta, Andy.

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 4

Re: Broadband Talk and VoIP (again)

To use it with BT Wifi or FON, you need to login into it first, then you will find that BBT will work.

Until you login, there is no path to the servers.

0 Ratings
andyh
Contributor
Message 3 of 4

@Keith_Beddoe wrote:

To use it with BT Wifi or FON, you need to login into it first, then you will find that BBT will work.

Hi Keith, I can see you have a post count of over 17000 !!!! but did you actually read a single word of my post? I will try and explain a bit further for you as you do not seem to grasp the point. Please bear in mind that I have been a developer in the comms and network industry for over 35 years (including BT in Ipswich).

You say ...

If you read my post I start off by saying ...

For years the BBT always worked ... until many months ago ... I can receive incoming calls but when I try to set this up as the outgoing VoIP it fails when registering.

Now to me it would appear that I know anout 'logging on' as you call it, I call it registering, as I have been able to use VoIP with my BBT number for several years as stated.

I then go on to explain that there is now a vast difference between using my normal wifi connection and the BT-FON connection when connecting to my HH2. This is the important bit.

I then SPECIFICALLY ask ...

can anyone give me a really good techie reason for this

Somehow I do not think telling me I need to 'log into' and that I will then find that 'BBT will now work' quite qualifies as a really techie reason for the stated behaviour.

'Until you login, there is no path to the servers', hopefully there is always a path to the servers or we are all pretty much stuffed in anything we try and do.

I really thought I wasn't going to bother to reply, but hey, at least my post count goes up by one!

Andy.

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 4

BBT relies on a number of servers, for example, here is part of the list from the home hub configuration file.

add name=BBT_servers type=ip addr=81.144.106.40
add name=BBT_servers type=ip addr=81.144.106.228
add name=BBT_servers type=ip addr=81.144.106.8
add name=BBT_servers type=ip addr=81.144.106.36
add name=BBT_servers type=ip addr=81.144.106.4
add name=BBT_servers type=ip addr=62.239.169.132
add name=BBT_servers type=ip addr=62.239.169.136
add name=BBT_servers type=ip addr=62.239.169.140
add name=BBT_servers type=ip addr=62.239.169.144
add name=BBT_servers type=ip addr=62.239.169.148

These are used when you are connected via the normal path, using your own SSID.

The number of servers are slowly being reduced, and its not unusual to find one which does not function correctly.

I have BBT, and sometimes I have to restart the home hub, as I cannot get dial-tone, and sometimes even incoming calls fail.

When you use BT Wifi/FON, your connection is passed from the home hub, to the BT Wifi network for authentication, over a VLAN. Its quite possible that the actual BBT servers that are used at the remote end, are in a different range, so its quite possible for a BBT call to fail on your normal SSID, but work fine on the BT Wifi connection.

Most questions on this user to user forum, are non-technical, and can be answered quicky. Bear in mind that this community forum has been going for quite a while now, so my posting count will be quite high, as are some of the other founder members.

I spent 42 years with GPO, Post Office, BT, and worked on many systems  including Telecom Gold. Prestel, Packet Switch (X25), dial-up Internet, SMDS, SDH, ATM, and Business data systems.

The reply I have given you is the best you are likely to get, unless you can contact the people who are still actually maintaining the BBT network. I suspect there are not many now, withe the pending closure of the service.

0 Ratings