Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
amader
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 8

Broadband/Telephone Contract Renewal

Go to solution

My last contract for BT broadband and telephone services ended in October.  I have received no invitation from BT to renew the contract, although I am still receiving the service and recently paid a bill.  My question is, do I still have a contract, or am I free to swap supplier without paying a penalty?

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
StewM
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 8

Re: Broadband/Telephone Contract Renewal

Go to solution
You are still in contract but a rolling month-by-month contract. You can leave by giving 30 days notice if you wish.

Stew
amader
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 8

Go to solution

Thanks for the quick reply, which raises a further question if I may.  If I go through the normal process of changing supplier, does the request to BT for a MAC code constitute 30 day's notice, or do I need to give that separately?

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 8

Go to solution

Getting your MAC code does not constitute contract termination. you actually have to contact to teminate. You are not forced toend contract just because yiu ask fir MAC code

However any discount you have will now cease and you will e on standard terms when you remain on rolling contracr

try options team and see what deal they will give you - you don't have to accept it 0800800030

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Ectophile
Distinguished Guru
Message 5 of 8

Go to solution

The full wording regarding cancellation is:

"Once we have provided the service, you may tell us to stop providing it at any time, either by giving 14 days' notice if you are switching to another provider through an approved switching process, or by giving 30 days' notice if you are leaving for any other reason. We will accept an order you place with another provider using an approved switching process as notice, or from you direct via a range of methods including phone, e-mail, online chat and in writing. You can contact us to give notice using any of the contact details set out on your last BT bill or any other means of contact we have given you, for that purpose. We can stop providing the service to you by giving you 28 days' written notice."

Asking for a MAC code isn't, by itself, notice to cancel.  That's because you don't ever have to use the MAC code if you change your mind.

conrad
Recognised Expert
Message 6 of 8

Go to solution

If you do use the MAC then the shorter period of 14 days will apply - depending on which ISP you switch to it might be slightly longer by a day or two.

amader
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 8

Go to solution

Thanks for all the replies.  I'll look into things after Christmas.

0 Ratings
umpire
Distinguished Guru
Message 8 of 8

Go to solution

Info on MAC process.

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/9778/~/how-do-i-request-a-mac-code%3F

As others have stated if you decide to use the MAC (give it to your new provider to process), then it would probably be wise to notify BT that you plan to stop the service at least 14 days in advance if that is possible. That should avoid any dispute about not giving the full notice and associated extra charges?

Also note that if you use the MAC process then you should not be charged the £30 broadband cessation charge.

http://www.productsandservices.bt.com/consumerProducts/dynamicmodules/pagecontentfooter/pageContentF...

0 Ratings