Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Message 11 of 19

Re: Broadband Throttling

Did you not read what i wrote before.

I will tell you again!!!!!!!

If i did have internet access i would have read the Terms & condition and not placed my order with BT.

But i ordered it over the phone and the sales advisor mis-lead me on the product and restrictions.

Also before i came to BT i was with TALK TALK for over 1 1/2 years and i NEVER had any throttle issues with them.

If TALK TALK has there own equipment in the exchange box, then they MUST have better gear cause i was getting over 7mb with them  whilst BT is just over 5mb.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 12 of 19

this it the link is was referring too http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/talktalk/3629651-p2p-throttling.html this shows that TT do throttle also unless you post your hub stats it is not possible to see the reason that you had a speed difference between the 2 providers Also it is not in the exchange box it is isps like talk talk have there own equipment at the telephone exchange not the local green street cabinet
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 13 of 19

You still don't get what i mean.

How could i have read that link or BT terms and condition when i never had internet access at home.

IF I DID READ IT, I WOULD HAVE NOT SIGNED UP WITH BT.

BTW that link was published over 2 years ago and is not correct now regarding TALK TALK throttling as i never was throttle whilst i was a customer with them.

So please get your faxes right.............

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 14 of 19

the link may have been but they still throttle users of p2p even now well why did you not check up before leaving TT you had access then your comments do not make sense it is unfortunate that you did not know about the throttling before this may be of interest to you read items 3.7 and 3.8 http://www.talktalk.co.uk/legal/tiscali-product/terms/ there are the throttling statements so they do admit to throttling
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 15 of 19

ok if you read again carefully

3.8 With the intention of ensuring our Network performs consistently in all locations across our Network and at all times of the day, we reserve the right to manage internet applications across the Broadband Services at our discretion as we see fit. This may include, but is not limited to, prioritising web traffic and email over file sharing activities during times of high congestion.

Well they never throttled my services whilst being with them.

If you read the statement again, its Under there Discretion.

So they don't throttle every customer they have, not like BT.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 16 of 19

if you read bts t&cs you will see the same comments made they do not select customers they throttle protocols all isps are the same there is no point in getting angry and upset over it it happens and that is all that can be said many p2p applications are of a suspect nature and the protocol is throttled because of it
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 17 of 19

The time i placed my order was by phone, i NEVER had internet access to read BT T&C.

All i was told by BT SALES Advisor by PHONE  i will get a SLIGHT reduction in speed during Peak Times.

10-20% reduction of speed is live able but over 90%  is a joke. 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 18 of 19

Use a download accellerator like I do to download from p2p sites...

Although its only since the FUP has been removed for option 3 that i have noticed my evening speeds are capped for p2p...

Normal evening speed from p2p = 10/15kb/sec

Using Jdownloader = 1.9meg/sec !

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 19 of 19

I will probably get a heap of abuse landing on my head for writing this, but I am one of the people in favour of throttling.

BT kindly sent me an email recently (now binned - must not do housekeeping in future) which said that BT were going to turn off throttling in my area (Colaton Raleigh exchange - deepest darkest Devon).

Even following many interventions from Openreach and then more successfully from the forum moderators, my maximum download speed reached a nose bleed inducing 1.8 Mbps, although, as it always does, it works fine for six months until someone else whinges and gets put on the good circuit in the exchange and I am now listing 1.4 Mbps.

But of course, with a whole load of people who are nearer the exchange getting 4 to 7 Mbps (and then whinging because it is too slow) if the P2P people are not throttled then all the bandwidth disappears before it gets to me, and I am lucky if I can get 0.5 to 0.8 Mpbs.

Throttling is used to ensure fair usage. Turning it off has meant that people like myself at the end of the line go from a poor servce to an almost unusable one. We used to be able to video skype our daughter, before they turned off the throttling, but now we cannot even get enough bandwidth to do an audio skype without the signal breaking up too much to be useful.

If there are any moderators out there who can make any helpful suggestions, then i would be grateful....

.... except BT infinity - don't make me laugh: we are not even on the list where they consider putting forward a tentative date yet. We had no interest shown on the website, but then it always told me that I did not have a BT number when I entered it which is odd cos BT take lots of money from me.

Cheers

A

ps currently taking things from company servers (which are not busy at night) at 8 x 70 = 560 kbps and that is quite good for an evening

0 Ratings