Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Parnott
Beginner
Message 1 of 13

Broadband Usage & Device Usage

Go to solution

Hi,

Our family had been going along nicely with the 40GB BT package with an average usage of 26GB each month. Daughter gets an IPAD for her birthday and the next bill comes in a 105GB used! 😞

Having looked at the broadband monitor online (I'd never really paid attention to it before because we never breached any limits) it only shows overall usage.

What I'd like to understand is what devices in my household used all this data so I can prevent a repeat.

I'm assuming the IPAD must be fairly guilty but having contacted Apple there is no setting for recording data usage on it.

Would a call to BT tell me which device has used what since we seemed to be ticking along fine before?

Regards

0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 13

Re: Broadband Usage & Device Usage

Go to solution

There is no way for BT to identify individual devices, the monitor just monitors the broadband connection. It was probably the iPad performing all sorts of updates when first connected.

Have you googled iPad usage app?

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 13

Go to solution

I don't think you can get a breakdown of per device usage but if your daughter was using online streaming such as Youtube or downloading movies that will account for a lot.

To give peace of mind and to stop any more shocks when the bills come in it might be worth upgrading to an unlimited package. If you call 0800.800.030 they should be able to rrange it.

0 Ratings
Parnott
Beginner
Message 4 of 13

Go to solution

So am I being naive to think this was possible?

With a phone bill you can get an itemised breakdown etc for each call or text but not with broadband?

If the hub manager can identify each device I presumed it could record the flow of traffic to each as well.

I know I can download an app onto the IPAD but that will only help me now going forward where as I now have a £101 bill when it was normally £35 so a breakdown would be good from a security, education and piece of mind position.

Regards

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 13

Go to solution

This info may help.

Why is my broadband usage so high?

Streaming video content uses a lot of data, and you will soon reach your limit.

If you upgrade in the same month as your over usage, BT normally waive the excess charge.

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 13

Go to solution

@Parnott wrote:

If the hub manager can identify each device I presumed it could record the flow of traffic to each as well.

The usage data is not obtained from the hub.

0 Ratings
Ectophile
Distinguished Guru
Message 7 of 13

Go to solution

BT monitors the usage going through their network to and from your home.  Since all the traffic they see has been filtered through the Home Hub, they have no way of telling which device on your network it came from - to them all the traffic comes from the Home Hub.

The Home Hub doesn't break down usage by device - it's just not that clever.  If it did, that data might be useful to you, but BT wouldn't trust it for their billing as the Home Hub is under your control.

0 Ratings
Dode
Expert
Message 8 of 13

Go to solution

If you go straight for an upgrade to unlimited now BT 'may' knock off some or all of the excess.

0 Ratings
Hels76
Beginner
Message 9 of 13

Go to solution
Did you ever work it out Parnott? My usage has suddenly doubled with no change of usage although I have been bringing my work iPad home more often - although not really using it!! I'm wondering if it's the same thing!
0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 13

Go to solution

@Hels76 wrote:
Did you ever work it outParnott? My usage has suddenly doubled with no change of usage although I have been bringing my workiPad home more often - although not really using it!! I'm wondering if it's the same thing!

If you have a Windows 7 or 8 computer check that Microsoft is not trying to repeatedly download Windows 10 onto your computer. Microsoft do this through the Windows update system even although you have not asked for it.

0 Ratings